Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nmichave

New in Town
Straw hat ID

Hi. Newbie. Saw this great hat in an HTC/Robert Downey Jr. commercial tonight. I'd love it if someone could identify the brand and even the type of hat. It looks like a larger brimmed pork pie hat in grey. Love the band too. I'm hoping the band will give away the brand of the hat. Thanks for any attention this post receives!
robert-downey-jr-iron-man-4-a-possibility.jpg
rdj-commercial-21may13-03.JPG
robert-downey-jr-iron-man-4-a-possibility-03.jpg
robert-downey-jr-iron-man-4-a-possibility-29.jpg

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would look for a vintage milan pork pie with a pugaree (that's what that kind of ribbon is called). Look around on ebay and you with some of those terms and you'll find similar hats.

Landman

One Too Many
nimichave,

Welcome to the lounge. The hat Downey is wearing looks like a Milan straw with a pugaree as Sam stated. I have no idea about the brand but the crown looks like it might have been in a teardrop crease at one time and somebody tried to make it into a porkpie.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have several of this style Milan Porkpie. Knox was a big maker of this model and it was popular in the fifties.
Sinatra made the style famous.
Sinatra-Hat-520x520.jpg

They generally come in Grey, Brown and I have seen some Green ones. Hope to see some bespoke ones coming out soon.;)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. If you're patient with ebay, it should be fairly easy to grab something relatively close, this was a polular style with a few variations. Mine has a super wide ribbon instead of a pug:
IMG_20130619_154122_zpsbf46d6ff.jpg

nmichave

New in Town
Thanks for all your replies. I will try ebay and some other outlets. Not sure how good I'll look in one, but I think they are sharp hats. jlee562, good lookin' hats you've got on there. I've seen a picture of Sinatra wearing one of those a million times. Not sure why I didn't remember that. I might have to visit The Wise Hatter since you are so close. I'm in Lexington. Thanks again everyone!

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Is there any place with a comparison chart of more of Akubra's colors? I've seen the comparison card on Akubra's website, but that seems to have about 1/3 of the colors I have seen referenced. Thanks.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
I am sorry. I am rather confused again. I want to buy a fed 4 and I was recently informed that their sizes run slightly small. I just re measured my head with a tape measurer and I am a 59.2 cm. What hat size do I go with when buying a fed 4 or any akubra for that matter?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Akubras run pretty true to size to start with, but shrink over time.

Hatsdirect can assist you with sizing. The Fed is their exclusive, so they deal with it all the time.

Akubras run pretty true to size to start with, but shrink over time.
Apparently, sizing is more of an art than a science, as evidenced by Blackthorn's post in the Akubra Campdraft thread:

...I own a LOT of Akubras, and I have ordered 59s that were perfect, 60s that were perfect, but also 59s that were too small, and 60s that were too big. So I finally came to the strategy of ordering 59 and then putting them on an Art Fawcett band block to stretch them out to my 23 1/4 head. But this one, this CD, fit just like Art had made it especially for me. Good luck with getting a good fit, Zombie. It's just a roll of the dice.

My own experience is limited to two hats. I ordered my Fed IV in 2008 in my size (60 cm) and when it arrived it was oversized enough that I could pull it down to cover the tops of my ears, but snugged up to a near-perfect fit after wearing it (and sweating in it) for a couple of days. Last week I received the Akubra Campdraft that I ordered in May, also in my size, and was a little surprised when the fit was only slightly loose right out of the box. I've worn it almost every day since I received it and, although it has snugged up slightly, the change so far has been nowhere near as drastic as it was on my Fed IV.

Hatsdirect can assist you with sizing. The Fed is their exclusive, so they deal with it all the time.
I concur. If you have any questions about sizing (or any other questions about a hat you're ordering, for that matter) it's best to contact the vendor to ask for their suggestions/advice.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am sorry. I am rather confused again. I want to buy a fed 4 and I was recently informed that their sizes run slightly small. I just re measured my head with a tape measurer and I am a 59.2 cm. What hat size do I go with when buying a fed 4 or any akubra for that matter?

In my experience the Fed IV after a few wears is about 1/2 a size smaller than the Campdraft after a similar amount of wear. I'm about 60.2 and a 60 in Campdraft is an excellent fit, a 60 in a Fed IV is wearable but snug. YMMV !

In my experience the Fed IV after a few wears is about 1/2 a size smaller than the Campdraft after a similar amount of wear...
This may or may not be helpful to xbeatles4x, but I'm pleased to read it. When my Campdraft fit so well right out of the box I was concerned that it would shrink as much as my Fed IV did (about 1/2 a size as you wrote) and become unwearable for me. My Campdraft almost immediately became my new favorite hat, and I'm hoping to wear it until it crumbles to dust. :D

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Yah I contacted them and they told me to go with the 60. It is usually about half a size smaller and might shrink slightly. So 60 for my 59.2 head should be great. If it Is still slightly too big I guess I could put those pieces of paper in the head band.

...If it Is still slightly too big I guess I could put those pieces of paper in the head band.
Hats Direct provides "sizing strips" (thin strips of foam rubber, if I remember correctly) with their hats. Some of the members here have used them by slipping them under the sweat band until the hat shrunk to the proper size, then removed them. I thought they were a little uncomfortable, so I just wore my hat around the house without them for 2 or 3 days until it fit properly.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well it looks like I might get a different akubra first than intended. I am starting to also like another style and wanted to know if the whole shrinks 1/2 size and runs a half size small was just on the federation or to all akubras.

I was liking either the campdraft or squater and wanted to know if I should go up a size to 60. Upon measuring my head again I got around 59.5cm thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe