Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fedoracentric

Banned
PS: It's also now obvious, that the phenomenon is just called "rot". In fact it's a chemical deterioration, that has got nothing to do with microbes or fungus.

i am not sure anyone here ever said it had to do with "microbes or fungus" and feel "rot" is an easy enough short hand way of describing it. But, I would like to hear a suggestion for what else to call it so we can be more precise. If someone assumes "rot" must mean a fungus is amongus, then let's get a different word for it.

John Galt

Vendor
Interesting conversation! When you guys figure it out, let me know! At this point Biltmore might have more reliable historical knowledge than any other company on this continent, no?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
i am not sure anyone here ever said it had to do with "microbes or fungus" and feel "rot" is an easy enough short hand way of describing it

No one ever said, anyone ever said so. I'm absolutely fine with calling it rot, and it's probably not wise to ask a foreigner to find a more proper name - unless the purpose is retoric. The Danish word for "rot" does mean a strictly organic process, which is why I asked the question, if anyone knew if microbiology was involved. I'm sorry, if that seemed provocative to you, but it is one of those things, that should be expected in an international web forum.

I don't care, whatever we call it. What concerned me was the fact, that the debate - and many similar before that - seemed based on lack-of-knowledge. As long as we exactly know, what we are talking about, we can call the phenomenon whatever someone may like to call it :)

fedoracentric

Banned
I am not finding anything "provocative," really. Just looking for a mutually acceptable word to use if "rot" is unacceptable. I'd guess "rot" in the US is more a generic term and just means "the darn thing fell apart" ... at least that is the way I always understood it.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
DVDs suffer from disc rot... and it's not a organic "rot" thing because they are plastic and metal. Disc rot appears when the different layers start to separate and oxidate/contaminates the reflective layer rendering the disc unreadable.
Rot is a generic word in english. In Portugal "rot" means also a organic process of decomposition. We also use it in some occasions when something breaks easily.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know, but if we want to find the truth about the oilskin membranes, leather decay and moisture, it's absolutely necessary to agree, what kind of decay we're talking about - and if it's caused by chemstry, humidity or something completely different.

If you want to treat a patient, it's quite handy to know, if she suffers from a sore throat, or if she has broken her leg. It will also be a lot easier to avoid the same illness will strike again, if you know, what the illness actually is, and what caused it.

Matthew MO

New in Town
Don't want to interrupt the discussion with a change of subject but does anyone know if the new stetson stratoliners ribbon is glued on? Thinking about picking one up but don't care for the thin ribbon with an airplane on it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome. A mid-ribbon (around 1") would also look great - like the Stetson Wanderer. It sported the same thin brim binding along with a mid-ribbon ... great style ;)

dnjan

One Too Many
rolling an Art-Lite?

Does anyone have any experience with rolling an Art-Lite for traveling?
A straw for summer is fine, but when traveling I need something for when it rains.
For a recent trip, the second hat I took was a Tilley - functional, but ugly.
If an Art-lite would survive being rolled and stuffed in luggage (inside a rigid tube), that would be a perfect solution.

Thanks!

A straw for summer is fine, but when traveling I need something for when it rains.
If an Art-lite would survive being rolled and stuffed in luggage (inside a rigid tube), that would be a perfect solution.

Thanks!
Would have to remove the reed from the sweatband...never done it to any of mine.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many

Thanks!
There are some hats made to be rolled. Like the Stetson Runabout
or Borsalino Trilby
They are both nice looking hats

Jeff

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks!

Thanks! Good Options.

Art has told me that he can make a hat with a very thin reed, which is foldable.

Now I need to wait a while so I can sneak another UPS delivery past the Boss ...

Landman

One Too Many
Jeff, which hat do you like best, the Stetson Runabout or the Borsalino Trilby? I've never purchased a foldable hat because I don't particularly care for factory creased hats. I didn't realize until your post that the Borsalino comes open crown.

tommyK

One Too Many
so, I've got an Akubra Bushman.
photo_zps41df3b1c.jpg

Has anyone ever got and/or used the "chin straps" that can be attached to this and other Akubra hats? Will they keep the hat on in a high wind? Or to hang the hat from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld