Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
That scarf looks like a Cohiba label.

VS Dove w/ 19 L black 5 3/4" x 2 3/8"

VS hats being worn

Today with Harris Tweed overcoat in rust/blackbrown herringbone, midnight green/orange/brown scarf, gray flannel suit with navy shetland wool knit tie and white oxford shirt.

VS-Dove-w-2012-11-16_19black_tweedandflannel_1.jpg

Full resolution image

VS-Dove-w-2012-11-16_19black_tweedandflannel_3.jpg

VS-Dove-w-2012-11-16_19black_tweedandflannel_2.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A juxtaposition of the light gray felts among Art's colors

Clockwise from upper left corner:

VS Granite w/ 19 L silver
VS Blue Smoke w/ 22 L charcoal
VS Silverbelly w/ 19 L dark gray with greenish undertone
VS Dove w/ 22L charcoal

VS_gran-bs-dov-sb_post.jpg

Full resolution image

m0nk

One Too Many
I want one of those VS Dove w/ 22L charcoal. Art, do you still carry the ribbon you used with that one? I recall reading on your site that you have limited runs partly due to the ribbon. Thanks!

:D

tridentine

Suspended
Mr Fawcett,
I saw the beautiful and stunning fedora you made, in a previous post called the "Dusty Rose".
Pecan colored hat and pink/chocolate milk ribbon.
Can you make that again?
Thank you

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I want one of those VS Dove w/ 22L charcoal. Art, do you still carry the ribbon you used with that one? I recall reading on your site that you have limited runs partly due to the ribbon. Thanks!

:D

Hi Monk, yes, I believe I still have some of that ribbon so, whenever you are ready just shout out.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mr Fawcett,
I saw the beautiful and stunning fedora you made, in a previous post called the "Dusty Rose".
Pecan colored hat and pink/chocolate milk ribbon.
Can you make that again?
Thank you

uh oh, I must have done something wrong if you didn't get my email Tridentine. Yes, I still have some of that ribbon for whenever you are ready. In the mean time I will try to resend my email to you.
Thanks
Art

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
An update of the VS family

The more I wear these hats, the more I appreciate their quality. Monk, the Dove felt is one of the most or perhaps the most versatile color among Art's grey felts - a wise choice for a first VS, in my opinion. Both the charcoal ribbon and the black ribbon work very well with it.

Standardshots1post.jpg

Full resolution image

Left to right, top row to bottom row:

Blue Smoke w/ 22 L charcoal, red VS stripe, black windcord, purple liner
Granite LITE w/ 19 L silver, vent holes, red liner
Dove w/ 22 L charcoal, light grey VS stripe, white liner
Dove w/ 19 L black, white liner
Silverbelly w/ 19 L dark grey with greenish undertone, black windcord, purple liner

Sahara w/ 19 L dark mocca, green liner
Sand w/ 19 L dark grey with greenish undertone, purple liner
Silverbelly LITE w/ 22 L black, black windcord, purple liner
Silvermist LITE w/ 22 L black, black windcord, purple liner
Blue Smoke w/ 17 L black, purple liner

Powderblue LITE w/ 22 L midnight blue, vent holes, red liner
Dark Moss w/ 22 L moss, red liner
Black w/ 22 L black, white liner
Oxblood w/ 24 L reddish-brown, white liner
Mojave w/ 19 L navy, mojave VS stripe and mojave windcord, unlined (tip liner)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Nik; I do enjoy the family shot of your VS's. Simply marvelous hats. I agree that Dove should be a staple of a hat family. Your pics showing the silvermist, silverbelly, dove and bluesmoke together drive home color comparisions.

Your recent post showing brim dimensions (different thread) featured many of the VS's and the hats compete with your attire for wining a medal for being classy! The dimensions work for your attire and stature. I must say being 5'3" and 133#'s (after the American Thanksgiving feast), I completely understand how important the dimensions are when wearing the hats.

Monk; The charcoal dove hat of Nik's is a fav of mine from his family of VS's. I do not believe that you would be in error using that as a model for a custom fedora. I see you in a darker jacket frequently in your posted pics and I imaine these colors in a hat would be a darn sharp addition to your daily attire. Good luck in your hat hunt sir. With a guide like Art Fawcett, you will come home with a trophy.

Eric-

Brando11

A-List Customer
Love the Dove! BTW,the Charcoal ribbon looks great, buy you might consider a light ribbon just a shade or two different than the Dove felt as well,( perhaps something like the Silver ribbon on the 2nd hat Nik shows above.) I recently had a Dove hat done with a Glen grey ribbon and it looks terrific.

Best-
-Brando

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently had a Dove hat done with a Glen grey ribbon and it looks terrific.

Here's a color question for Art. When you do a hat, to what extent do you think it's important to have the ribbon same color as the felt? Nearly all my vintage hats have that combination, although I know customs I see on this site go for complementary but not identical colors. Do you know what the rules were then, meaning the normal standard?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Curious, does anyone have a picture of a silverbelly hat with say a complimentary ribbon treatment. Not like a grey hat with a black band, but say a silverbelly with a lighter grey ribbon? I want to see different treatments with a silverbelly hat, but not something that is a bold contrast but instead is subtle yet distinct . It may be that you have to Private Message me and that is fine.

I take it Dove is more to brown and silverbelly can tend to brown or blue, and I lean to blue

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Curious, does anyone have a picture of a silverbelly hat with say a complimentary ribbon treatment. Not like a grey hat with a black band, but say a silverbelly with a lighter grey ribbon? I want to see different treatments with a silverbelly hat, but not something that is a bold contrast but instead is subtle yet distinct . It may be that you have to Private Message me and that is fine.

I take it Dove is more to brown and silverbelly can tend to brown or blue, and I lean to blue

Hi

This is my Resistol with a taupe ribbon:

Resistol_Done_03_sm.jpg

The color changes in indoor light and natural outdoor light.

Same hat, different brim and crown, but outdoors in the winter:

Resistol_Start_01_sm.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg