Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's teardrop fedora worn in 1909

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Absolutely man, this is an old fashioned website. No BS about multiple posting here …

bk

BS?!?! It was a commendation.

Very impressive. I've never seen a quadruple post before. This is such a busy forum, you would think someone would cut in just by how much activity there is most of the time.

I could have used the clapping smiley, but I despise it!:rolleyes:

Jabos

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Here's Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. holding up Charlie Chaplain to promote Liberty Bonds in NY. Plenty of soft hats, derbies, and caps can be seen.

1918 (alternate view from Life archives confirming the date)
chaplinandfairbanks.jpg
What an amazing couple of photos! hats, hats, hats, . . . some of you more creative types should be able to come up with a "Fedora Lounge caption" for those pics since it seems somehow to represent those of us in the crowd seeking that perfect hat, or the next hat anyway.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Early Fedora?

A curious one indeed…

I recently bought a hat (below) confused me greatly with regards to its date of manufacture. Indisputably a nice hat, I assumed initially that it was a provincial, own-branded shop hat from the 30’s or 40’s. The felt, leather band (which is the best quality I have ever felt) and silk lining suggested that it was, in fact, a high quality hat indeed. But then I noticed something unusual about it. The crest (with “British Make” written around the shield) bares the crown of Queen Victoria (used between 1837-1901), often referred to as an ‘Imperial Crown’ by military collectors. This crown was common up until 1901 and found on military insignia and post boxes etc throughout the empire. However, Edward VII (who succeeded Queen Victoria) discontinued the use of the Imperial crown and opted for the Tudor Crown for use on state business. Could it be that this hat dates to before 1901?

DSCF1711.jpg

DSCF1713.jpg

Well, I just found a different resource which could go some way to explaining why my hat from Belper (in UK) has a Victoria crown printed inside it:

The Queen Victoria's crown 1837-1901, isn't strictly Victoria's crown because it was used by most of the monarchs before her, but it is associated with her more than anybody else. Its' proper name is St. Edward's crown. The Hertfordshire Yeomanry and The Royal Canadian Regiment both still wear Victoria's crown on their buttons to this day. The Royal Canadian Regiment is allowed to wear it as an honour for the services they gave in WW1. On January 1, 1901 the Irish Guards were formed. They all paraded wearing their badges and buttons with Victoria's crown on them. Then on the 22nd of January she died, and they all had to be replaced.
So it is possible that this crown was simply used here as ‘decoration’.

To further my investigation, I did some research from the UK census’ which are available to search on the net. I typed in “Belpur” and “W. Howcroft” and Bingo! found a William Howcroft living in Belpur at the turn of the century born 1851, with occupation listed as ‘clothier’. I was fairly confident that this W. Howcroft was my hat maker, or the shop proprietor at least.

Next I contacted the Belpur Historic Society (yes, I was very curious/obsessed?) and here’s what the sent back to me:

“I have a little information re W. Howcroft & Son. They were Gentleman’s Outfitters in King Street, Belper. It is believed to be the premises occupied, today, by a Greengrocer and is numbered 16, notes taken from elderly residents suggest this was a very high Class Establishment during the 20’s & 30’s.

The Howcroft surname is not local and originates from Yorkshire/Lancashire.

William Howcroft did not arrive in Belper until after 1901 previous to this he was living in Yorkshire. His Father was a Tailor, William gives this as his trade until 1891 when he is listed as Grocer & Farmer, by 1901 living at Rakehill Farm, Barwick in Elmes he is listed as Farmer.

The first record of the Howcroft name occurs in Belper in 1909 when his daughter is Married, 1915 his son Albert Howcroft Marries Lucy M. Hatton they have two children Joan H in 1916 and William G 1922.

Percy Howcroft, son of William died in Belper 1918 aged 41. In 1901 he is in Newcastle Upon Tyne “Drapers Assistant” living in the Hostel of & working as a Drapers Assistant for the firm of Bainbridge & Co.
William Howcroft died 1920 aged 71 and his wife Esther died 1924 aged 76.

It appears to have been Albert Howcroft who was running the Outfitters in King Street.

Given the above information, it is unlikely the hat is prior to 1901, and like many items was not actually made in Belper – just contained the retailers name. However I have no knowledge of hats so perhaps they were different to other goods. Albert Howcroft was not trained as a Tailor, as his Father & Grandfather had been, he is only recorded as a Clerk in a Warehouse prior to his arrival in Belper.

The Society later sent me this photo showing the shop before 1920; it is on the right next to the building with one small window:

KingStreetBelper.jpg

They now positively identified the shop as No. 14.

So what do I conclude? I think this hat is pre 1920, (before William’s death) but not quite Victorian!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe