Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

-15% at Aero, but only this week.

cl206

New in Town
Wow, massive price increases across the board today. Hope everyone stocked up!
Wow you werent kidding. Glad I got my first aero j106 in. I just did some math and if I am not wrong, the VAT exempt price went from 775 to 1025. That is about a 32% increase.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
I understand cost of living increases etc but I have to wonder have they not priced themselves out of their target market with this increase. Or is it similar to what Eastman did years ago jacking up the prices to seem more "premium"?

mumpy

A-List Customer
I understand cost of living increases etc but I have to wonder have they not priced themselves out of their target market with this increase. Or is it similar to what Eastman did years ago jacking up the prices to seem more "premium"?
Yeah... for example the Aero D-1 now costs 1110 GBP and the Eastman D-1 costs 1150 GBP. The choice would be easy for me if I were in the market for a D-1.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Yeah... for example the Aero D-1 now costs 1110 GBP and the Eastman D-1 costs 1150 GBP. The choice would be easy for me if I were in the market for a D-1.
I would also say that it depends on where you order from. Does Eastman also give you the local VAT (20%) as a discount if you order from outside the UK? If yes, then both are almost on a par. If not, then the Aero is still cheaper. At least for non-UK residents.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I would also say that it depends on where you order from. Does Eastman also give you the local VAT (20%) as a discount if you order from outside the UK? If yes, then both are almost on a par. If not, then the Aero is still cheaper. At least for non-UK residents.
Good point I hadn’t thought about that. I don’t know how Eastman deals with overseas orders. What price do you see on their website?

3.14nche

A-List Customer
Good point I hadn’t thought about that. I don’t know how Eastman deals with overseas orders. What price do you see on their website?
I gave it a try.
There's no location / currency dropdown that I can find and no discount when shipping to Belgium.
So add roughly 25% on top of that.
1724273551835.png

1724273675547.png

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Just tried it out. If I enter a European address, it remains at 1149.99 GBP + 49 GBP shipping. I also couldn't find an option to customise the jacket (e.g. longer sleeves, tapered hem)

LukeST

New in Town
The Shackleton waistcoat is now 540 gbp. I think that is a 50% increase from where it was before! (360 gbp I think).

LukeST

New in Town
That is sad honestly.
Agree. I'm shocked by the size of the increases.

Also, these days many smaller companies (of which I would class Aero as one although clearly there are smaller operations still) inform their customers of such price increases in advance. This was noticeably absent from their email circular discussing the limited time sale.

Loncster

New in Town

Also, these days many smaller companies (of which I would class Aero as one although clearly there are smaller operations still) inform their customers of such price increases in advance. This was noticeably absent from their email circular discussing the limited time sale.
Yeah. The increase made me actually discover other companies like SB. Probably gonna move on and won't be a customer to aero anymore. Made me real sad because i had some jackets ideas and was looking to place more jackets.

onstar

One of the Regulars

This is the truth. I am just surprised by the amount and the abruptness

Biff42

A-List Customer
I'd love to own a bespoke Aero, but their used ones are a good value IMO and there are a lot of used Aero's out there.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Just tried it out. If I enter a European address, it remains at 1149.99 GBP + 49 GBP shipping. I also couldn't find an option to customise the jacket (e.g. longer sleeves, tapered hem)
Thanks for trying. I am not sure what degree of customisation they provide. I think you can get regular and long versions.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

Just dropping a post to explain the reasons for our pricing restructure. ( as also posted over on"How many of you guys ordered from Aero thread)

For many years, we’ve worked exceptionally hard to keep our prices as accessible as possible, even as the costs of materials, labour, and operations have continued to rise. We’ve always charged what we think is fair, not what we can get away with. However, as a company that prides itself on uncompromising quality, we reached a point where maintaining our previous pricing structure was no longer sustainable without sacrificing the very elements that make our jackets exceptional – elements that we refuse to make our jackets and run our business without.

Guided by that same philosophy, we’ve done our best to limit price increases over the last few years when prices have sky-rocketed around us and this has made this adjustment larger than it would have been had we spread this out more evenly like many of our competitors have (which was a costly mistake on our part).

From our research, the average ballpark base price of our competitors is now around the £1,250-£1,300 mark (some exceedingly higher) with relatively high customisation upcharges (or limited options). Also notably, most of our UK counterparts don’t remove UK sales tax from their prices for international purchases while we have and still do. At the same time, we were still maintaining an average base price point of around £750 ex VAT with comparatively low customisation upcharges. Our material, wage and overheads costs are at least the same and in many cases exceed those of other manufacturers in our market, as is the case with the quality of our final product… and yet we have been selling our jackets at a price point around 40% lower than the average for our market.

Even after our recent price adjustment, we remain amongst the most accessibly priced within our market - our average base price ex VAT is now £825-£925. Some styles are more depending on their manufacturing complexity, but the majority of our popular styles fall within that bracket.

Regarding the Chromexcel Horsehide surcharge, horsehide and especially that of the quality needed for Chromexcel which is carefully graded and selected and only skins of a certain quality make the grade for Chrxl,skins that don't make the grade are used for other Horween products. Horween have been working very hard to secure a regular supply of raw hides but by its nature it is far rarer and more difficult to manage than any of our other leathers and the new surcharge is to cover the higher costs we absorb in sourcing/managing it. We also face increasing costs in importing from the US.
Chromexcel Steerhide is still available as a default with no upcharge as its much more readily available and easy for us to manage.

We hope this explains why this price increase has been higher than we’ve done in previous years and explains that this isn’t a greedy cash grab, it’s an absolutely necessary adjustment to align our prices with our costs and continue to sustain our business. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that the level of price difference and subsequent direction we were headed was no longer viable and we really have done our best to maintain the accessible price point that we’re so proud to have offered our customers for so many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42