Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Just another day in the Elysium Fields with Polo

24ysnig.png
v6t1s7.png

9082ab.png

30neww3.png

Cats are creatures of habit...& very proud to admit when they goof ! :D

Polo says you don't feed him enough. Just look at how skinny he is. :p

We watch a Springer Spaniel for a friend on most days and he is very well behaved as both his owner and my girlfriend and I are consistent in his training and disciple (which means there is very little disciple at all as the boundaries were established early and he receives no mixed messages or signals).

However, when he gets really hungry for his dinner, he will (1) bark a bit (not something he usually does), then (if he didn't get his dinner after that) (2) pull his food bowl out into the middle of the floor and hit it with his paw and, then (if he is still not getting the response he wants) (3) he will knock over a soda bottle or two where we keep them stored on the floor in a corner. Basically, it is his version of social unrest, non-violent protest when his government isn't being responsive to his needs.

Philosophically, both my girlfriend and I don't believe we should let him do this (again, he is well trained, well behaved and all of this is enforced with consistency), but it is so darn cute, so out of character - and we know he must really be hungry - that we usually let him get away with it (I know we shouldn't, but it is infrequent and hasn't led to other disciple issues).

So dogs, too, have a way of "communicating" that they want their food dish filled.

My mother's dog would open the screen door, come in the house, open the cupboard and yank the cereal out herself. The spreading it out on the floor part wasn't very cute though.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tennis is for spoiled people like McEnroe. :p
McEnroe has been coming to Wimbledon, working for the BBC, for years. He's both a commentator and a sports pundit. And he is very good at it, so much more enjoyable than that petulant player he used to be.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
McEnroe has been coming to Wimbledon, working for the BBC, for years. He's both a commentator and a sports pundit. And he is very good at it, so much more enjoyable than that petulant player he used to be.

I find McEnroe's commentating at times amusing.

During the Borg/McEnroe days at Wimbledon, I recall taking my leave from work so that I could watch
all the early round matches that were telecast by HBO.

People at work would find it funny I did that, but it was grand.

I love the color & atmosphere of the place & the people there were very tennis-smart & appreciated a
good match & for the most part knew how to behave.

I miss the British announcers. They didn't babble constantly like today's announcers.
I can recall listening to only the cracking sounds of the white tennis ball without
interference from the commentators except for a brief "good shot that"...at the end of
a good point.
That was so cool.

I also miss the camera angles that was used to show the players strike the ball
back then.

The good thing about today's television viewing is the high definition of the matches.

Last edited:
My mother's dog would open the screen door, come in the house, open the cupboard and yank the cereal out herself. The spreading it out on the floor part wasn't very cute though.

Our dog has an inner sense of boundaries. We keep his food in plastic bag inside a canvas bag that he could get to if he worked at it (and we all know dogs will work at getting food), but he knows that he isn't suppose to and internally doesn't try to cross that line. So while he will bang on his bowl and knock a soda bottle or two over in protest, he has never (even when left alone in the apartment) crossed the line of getting his food himself.

He's really quite a gentle soul who is very happy and seems, IMHO, to enjoy living within the rules - he doesn't like change or disturbance to his routine - and really doesn't want to do anything that would upset us. The few times we have to raise our voice (not yell, but speak in a firm authoritarian tone) to him, he not only obeys, but seems genuinely upset for a period of time.

I find McEnroe's commentating at times amusing.

During the Borg/McEnroe days at Wimbledon, I recall taking my leave from work so that I could watch
all the early round matches that were telecast by HBO.

People at work would find it funny I did that, but it was grand.

I love the color & atmosphere of the place & the people there were very tennis-smart & appreciated a
good match & for the most part knew how to behave.

I miss the British announcers. They didn't babble constantly like today's announcers.
I can recall listening to only the cracking sounds of the white tennis ball without
interference from the commentators except for a brief "good shot that"...at the end of
a good point.
That was so cool.

I also miss the camera angles that was used to show the players strike the ball
back then.

The good thing about today's television viewing is the high definition of the matches.

Exactly..!! Those were the good ole days, when I was riveted to those TV matches..and wouldn't miss one for anything. Now I catch one on occasion. So much has changed. Not the same. Not all bad...but most often not near as thrilling.
HD

Our dog has an inner sense of boundaries. We keep his food in plastic bag inside a canvas bag that he could get to if he worked at it (and we all know dogs will work at getting food), but he knows that he isn't suppose to and internally doesn't try to cross that line. So while he will bang on his bowl and knock a soda bottle or two over in protest, he has never (even when left alone in the apartment) crossed the line of getting his food himself.

He's really quite a gentle soul who is very happy and seems, IMHO, to enjoy living within the rules - he doesn't like change or disturbance to his routine - and really doesn't want to do anything that would upset us. The few times we have to raise our voice (not yell, but speak in a firm authoritarian tone) to him, he not only obeys, but seems genuinely upset for a period of time.

Do you have an Australian Cattle Dog? They never completely adhere to your will. :p They tend to take the initiative when given the chance. :p
My current dog, Zeus, was around at a recent birthday celebration. He was fine but when we left the table to see off a guest, the rest of my cake on the plate was fair game. The thing was, he didn't disturb anything else on the table. He just ate the cake and left my spot exactly as I had left it. lol lol My friend had to remind me that I left a piece of cake on that plate. I thought I had just eaten it and forgot about it. lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A former co-worker had one of those Australian cattle dogs. He not only took the initiative wherever possible, he once took an entire pastrami sandwich off my desk, leaving only the wrapper. He even came back to get the pickle.

A former co-worker had one of those Australian cattle dogs. He not only took the initiative wherever possible, he once took an entire pastrami sandwich off my desk, leaving only the wrapper. He even came back to get the pickle.

Hahahahahah! Typical. The ACD has an intelligence level above almost every other breed. If you think you are going to outsmart them---good luck. lol lol
I usually go with the premise that the dog is smart and would think his way out of a problem at about the same level as I would-----I am usually never disappointed. :p

Do you have an Australian Cattle Dog? They never completely adhere to your will. :p They tend to take the initiative when given the chance. :p
My current dog, Zeus, was around at a recent birthday celebration. He was fine but when we left the table to see off a guest, the rest of my cake on the plate was fair game. The thing was, he didn't disturb anything else on the table. He just ate the cake and left my spot exactly as I had left it. lol lol My friend had to remind me that I left a piece of cake on that plate. I thought I had just eaten it and forgot about it. lol lol

He's an English Spring Spaniel and I think I gave an overly favorable impression of his self restraint. He will absolutely not disobey us and - as noted - will not break into his food whether we are there or not, but he is opportunistic about your food if you leave it unwatched. Sometimes he'll leave it alone; other times, his tongue moves at the speed of light and can swipe something off a plate in the blink of an eye.

We (for ourselves - others should do what they want) are not believers in feeding dogs from "our" food as we think it creates a constant begger dynamic and, honestly, increases his stress and ours as he would always be "fired up" when we eat. Hence, he is never, ever fed human food from our plates or counters etc., and thus, when we eat around him, he is completely disinterested in what we are eating. But again, if we leave a plate of food unwatched near him - there's a good chance he'll go for it.

He's an English Spring Spaniel and I think I gave an overly favorable impression of his self restraint. He will absolutely not disobey us and - as noted - will not break into his food whether we are there or not, but he is opportunistic about your food if you leave it unwatched. Sometimes he'll leave it alone; other times, his tongue moves at the speed of light and can swipe something off a plate in the blink of an eye.

We (for ourselves - others should do what they want) are not believers in feeding dogs from "our" food as we think it creates a constant begger dynamic and, honestly, increases his stress and ours as he would always be "fired up" when we eat. Hence, he is never, ever fed human food from our plates or counters etc., and thus, when we eat around him, he is completely disinterested in what we are eating. But again, if we leave a plate of food unwatched near him - there's a good chance he'll go for it.

I have two cockers, and while ours are the same way when we eat, I've learned the hard way to not leave a sandwich unattended. I also had one climb the table and eat a whole stack of fresh tortillas.

:arated:
Hahahahahah! Typical. The ACD has an intelligence level above almost every other breed. If you think you are going to outsmart them---good luck. lol lol
I usually go with the premise that the dog is smart and would think his way out of a problem at about the same level as I would-----I am usually never disappointed. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82