Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

:eeek: :doh: I haven't heard that but my sons go to private school so.....:p

I live near a very expensive (stupid expensive) area of the Upper East Side (I live in the poor people's section), but I hear the girls from the elite private schools (parents pay $50k or more a year) calling each other that occasionally and I hear it on TV shows regularly (which means it is happening or, at least, was a thing recently). And I have a friend who says her cousins (girls in their teens from a good home, engaged parents, etc. ) do it when they are with their friends (when the parents aren't around, but the "cool" aunt is). Really strange.

I live near a very expensive (stupid expensive) area of the Upper East Side (I live in the poor people's section), but I hear the girls from the elite private schools (parents pay $50k or more a year) calling each other that occasionally and I hear it on TV shows regularly (which means it is happening or, at least, was a thing recently). And I have a friend who says her cousins (girls in their teens from a good home, engaged parents, etc. ) do it when they are with their friends (when the parents aren't around, but the "cool" aunt is). Really strange.

Real strange is right. I am glad I live here and not there. :doh:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Cat on a hot tin roof ? [huh]

No actually it's "Fiddler-on-the-Roof"
& please pay no never-mind to Polo...he's in a bad mood since I ate his tuna... :eek:

15cc4y0.png

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of my friends growing up was the son of a doctor -- whose father decided that our scroungy little public school system wasn't good enough for the ripening fruit of his loins, so he sent the kid to Putney, an exclusive private school in Vermont. When he came home summers, he spoke a language that even those of us who grew up around the docks found disturbing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One of my friends growing up was the son of a doctor -- whose father decided that our scroungy little public school system wasn't good enough for the ripening fruit of his loins, so he sent the kid to Putney, an exclusive private school in Vermont. When he came home summers, he spoke a language that even those of us who grew up around the docks found disturbing.

34yzgno.png

Sorry LizzieMaine...but Polo's curious as to the language that you all found disturbing.

I told him to have an open mind & probably it's something that a cat should not have a need to know.

So are you saying it's always been a trait of private school kids to have learned / to use very foul language? I am stunned at what I hear these girls call each other.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even when I was growing up, it was the girls who had the foulest mouths. And they weren't private school kids.

Yup. Same here. There weren't any delicate flowers in our town. I heard words in junior high that I didn't understand until I was in my thirties, and I don't think they understood them, either, except that they cut deep and outraged the target.

Of course, I've been called the c-word to my face here in the Lounge, so I have a thicker skin than normal about such things.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
So are you saying it's always been a trait of private school kids to have learned / to use very foul language? I am stunned at what I hear these girls call each other.

This boy was the only private school kid I ever knew personally, and as I say, he came home in the summers with an extraordinary vocabulary. Along with tales of all sorts of in-dorm debauchery to go with it. All this rather elevated his standing among we of the rabble.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
34yzgno.png

Sorry LizzieMaine...but Polo's curious as to the language that you all found disturbing.

I told him to have an open mind & probably it's something that a cat should not have a need to know.

Cats outdo all humans in the colorfulness of their language. They have 500 different, distinct vocalizations, all of which mean "get the hell up and fill my dish."

Cats outdo all humans in the colorfulness of their language. They have 500 different, distinct vocalizations, all of which mean "get the hell up and fill my dish."

We watch a Springer Spaniel for a friend on most days and he is very well behaved as both his owner and my girlfriend and I are consistent in his training and disciple (which means there is very little disciple at all as the boundaries were established early and he receives no mixed messages or signals).

However, when he gets really hungry for his dinner, he will (1) bark a bit (not something he usually does), then (if he didn't get his dinner after that) (2) pull his food bowl out into the middle of the floor and hit it with his paw and, then (if he is still not getting the response he wants) (3) he will knock over a soda bottle or two where we keep them stored on the floor in a corner. Basically, it is his version of social unrest, non-violent protest when his government isn't being responsive to his needs.

Philosophically, both my girlfriend and I don't believe we should let him do this (again, he is well trained, well behaved and all of this is enforced with consistency), but it is so darn cute, so out of character - and we know he must really be hungry - that we usually let him get away with it (I know we shouldn't, but it is infrequent and hasn't led to other disciple issues).

So dogs, too, have a way of "communicating" that they want their food dish filled.

I'll make a note not to send my sons to Vermont. lol lol
I am actually amazed at how nice they are to each other. The younger children are even "buddied up" with the 8th graders who mentor them. My sons are going to miss their mentors who graduated this year. My sons have learned no new off color words in the process. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82