Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Might not be real or practical but I like the wood facade .

66dddx.png

With solid gold connectors and leather wrapped accessories. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Actually putting together a PC from parts is slightly less of a challenge than assembling any ikea furniture - if you do a bit of research and planning in advance...
If you don't insist on any really exotic components most every operating system will have the necessary drivers available to deal with it.

IMHO a lot easier than 10-15 years ago .

br,
ToM

Yes! I ended up building mine and I can't even remember ever being 14. The young man at the computer store said, "if you can build a motorcycle, you can build a computer!" So, I went on line to a certain store that has a name that makes them seem like they are selling eggs, and ordered every thing I need. It was a breeze, just plug part A into part B. Programing was a little harder, but not bad, and I learned I did not need someone from India to trouble shoot it! I ended up with a lot more power then I really need, but it works great. Incidentally, when we say we are having problems with our computer, 90% of the time, we are actually talking about the operating system! The computer components are working just fine and dandy! I must not be a computer geek, I just noticed I miss spelled computer every single time.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hmph. The real artisanal computers are made with an array of matched UX-245 triodes. Mounted to open view on a chromed chassis, and wired only with original bumblebee condensers gathered from under Les Paul's bed.

Here's mine Lizzie. Hope it meets with your.........hang on a second..............sorry about that, moth got stuck in the relay, darn computer bugs!
Eniac_zpsh0uebo7j.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As much as I hate to admit it, the tablets are the wave of the future! I am hoping my PC hangs on until I can make the switch, just waiting for them to get a little faster. At least, we can easily dress them up to fit in with our antique style. Which I do like.
BB_iPad_Gallery_11_zps37ayyrqg.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Please note that no actual wood was harmed in the making of this computer.
With regards to background drawings, any resemblance to living or dead bartenders
is entirely coincidental & a product of this author's imagination.

1zx4ev8.png

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
We have a new service provider, and therefore, a new router. Setting it up needs either a masters in quantum physics or, at the very least, a WTF in technobabble. My neighbour's 14 year-old did it for me in about ten seconds. I was ok with that until I asked him if he was born with the knowledge. When he said that it was easy, well easy for him, that went below the belt. Little sh*t!

And some people don't believe in evolution

tomtom42

New in Town
Audiophools love those things. Electronic voodoo.

At least these connectors are quite resistant to corrosion - of course you will not need that in at least 99% of audio applications...

In computer components gold- or silver-plated contacts are quite common, but these are tiny. There are demonstrations on the net how to recycle the gold without to much equipment - the process contains some steps that produce some really nasty harmful by-products though.

br,
ToM

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have two computers in the home here. One is a work station, connected to a network and has a Cisco I.P phone for taking corporate phone calls. Then we just now have a new personal computer. The old personal computer was ready for burial. In fact we have decided once we have all the items, files, pictures and PDF documents off of it we plan on having a ceremony out back, dig a hole and bury it. Our new computer is like lightning. It has what some would call a "hot rodded" system, runs super fast, boots up in less than 10 seconds and has more RAM memory then all the total memory of our old computer. Our old computer is true vintage. I had to realize we owned if for more then 15 years......

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
I have two computers in the home here. One is a work station, connected to a network and has a Cisco I.P phone for taking corporate phone calls. Then we just now have a new personal computer. The old personal computer was ready for burial. In fact we have decided once we have all the items, files, pictures and PDF documents off of it we plan on having a ceremony out back, dig a hole and bury it. Our new computer is like lightning. It has what some would call a "hot rodded" system, runs super fast, boots up in less than 10 seconds and has more RAM memory then all the total memory of our old computer. Our old computer is true vintage. I had to realize we owned if for more then 15 years......

HomeComputerRepair_gone_wrong_zpsazhcgyou.jpg

There are so many other creative things you can do with old computers!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Oh don't buried it just yet....give it time & soon you can display it here
& being the antique nut-cake that I am...I'll probably buy it ! :eek:

30rp2dj.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82