Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

You probably are doing the right thing, but if you need to have your prostrate checked, then I'm afraid that it's the rubber gloves, Vaseline and straight in the back door...
The first time I'd had that exam was not long after I'd reached the age of 30. At the exact moment he began the exam, this scene from Fletch popped into my head...

[video=youtube;CfZiAiYNcI8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZiAiYNcI8[/video]

...and I began to chuckle. There was a moment of silence, then the doctor said, "Well, that was a new reaction." lol

DonnaP

Familiar Face
I didn't read through the entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been expressed, but "you know you are old when you are old enough to be most of your co-workers teen moms, but then you find out you are actually older than a co-workers mother"

I still find this to be worded awkwardly. Does it make sense? That I'm pretty much a good deal older than most of the people I work with?

I didn't read through the entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been expressed, but "you know you are old when you are old enough to be most of your co-workers teen moms, but then you find out you are actually older than a co-workers mother"

I still find this to be worded awkwardly. Does it make sense? That I'm pretty much a good deal older than most of the people I work with?
I understood it well enough. I have a very good friend, a guy I've known for more than 40 years now, who works for Trader Joe's. At the age of 53, he's at least twice as old as most of his co-workers.

Similarly, in the last two to three weeks my wife and I have had a few very nice conversations with people much younger than ourselves, and at some point during those conversations discovered we've been married longer than they've been alive. lol

Ouch!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Story of my life. I'm not a house manager, I'm a house mother.

My wife said she felt old the other day when a young co-worker came to her and started the conversation with "I was going to ask my mom, but I couldn't get ahold of her, so I'll ask you..."

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Few years back in my PD days, my courtroom partner was a relatively newly married guy who had a baby son. He'd always entertain us with cute stories of what the kid had done -- flirting with girls from his stroller, that sort of thing. Last September, I ran into Sal at a continuing legal ed seminar.. and he promptly introduced me to a handsome, bright young lawyer sitting next to him. The "baby" grew up, and damn did I feel old.

Remember back in the day when you ran into the first of your friends to get married and have kids? Now fast forward to the present and running into that same friend who now has grandkids! :eeek:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's often said that a good barometer of how old you are is the fresh faces of police officers. The younger they look, the older you are.

If, like me, you have more than your share of laughter lines etched on your face, don't think that will wash with our young police officers. In other words, know your audience before cracking a joke.

My old MG is exempt from our law about seatbelts and the wearing of, didn't stop an enthusiastic young police officer from pulling me over. When he asked to see my driver's licence, I jokingly showed him my old one. To briefly explain, many years ago, our driving licences looked like a smaller version of our passports, nowadays we have a credit card size one with a smart chip, we also have an A4 paper sheet, with all the details in the smart chip on it, although the paper copy will be phased out by the end of this year.

I was given the most politically correct lecture on road safety that you could imagine, then told to drive safely. Tell you what: In my wallet I keep an old pound note, our pound was changed to a coin decades ago, thank goodness I didn't leave it folded in my old driving licence, like it was a faux bribe. That young bobby was devoid of any humour.

It's often said that a good barometer of how old you are is the fresh faces of police officers. The younger they look, the older you are.

If, like me, you have more than your share of laughter lines etched on your face, don't think that will wash with our young police officers. In other words, know your audience before cracking a joke.

My old MG is exempt from our law about seatbelts and the wearing of, didn't stop an enthusiastic young police officer from pulling me over. When he asked to see my driver's licence, I jokingly showed him my old one. To briefly explain, many years ago, our driving licences looked like a smaller version of our passports, nowadays we have a credit card size one with a smart chip, we also have an A4 paper sheet, with all the details in the smart chip on it, although the paper copy will be phased out by the end of this year.

I was given the most politically correct lecture on road safety that you could imagine, then told to drive safely. Tell you what: In my wallet I keep an old pound note, our pound was changed to a coin decades ago, thank goodness I didn't leave it folded in my old driving licence, like it was a faux bribe. That young bobby was devoid of any humour.

I am glad I live here. Some flatfoot pulled me over when I was driving my 59 Oldsmobile for not wearing seat belts. I asked “how old do you think this car is?!” He just let me go and told me to slow down. That part was fineable but he let me go there too. Embarrassed I guess. :p How can they look at a car that is NOTHING like anything on the road today and think they are still being made? lol lol I did tell him that if they were still making them like that I would be the first one in line to buy one. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Now I really feel old! I was watching a show, when the middle aged woman said to the teenagers, "you know how we communicated in my day"? One of the teens said, "by telegraph"! Then I realized, one of my friends who is younger then me, only uses Morse Code on his short wave, and, I learned it in the boy scouts!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
30j7jap.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82