Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

There's so many magnets on our fridge that there's no space for anything else.

Have you ever, having been asked by your beloved, to buy a few grocery items on your way home, committed her request to memory, only to completely forget once in the store? Nowadays I simply text her to say that I lost the 'list.'

"Would that be the one you never wrote in the first place," the terse reply would come back.

You remember to go to the store in the first place?! Hey, you are doing petty good as far as I am concerned :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Look, there's nothing wrong with my eyes, ok? It's just that my arms are a bit short, that's all.

reading-at-arms-length_zpse076a4eb.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
For some of us, the sudden need for glasses is enough of a sign on it's own that we're getting old. :mmph:
True and then it goes beyond mere glasses...you need a few pairs to take care of correcting what is called, the different "fields of vision"....bi-foculs for some, trifoculs for others and then you hit the vision issues get to where, trifoculs a high powered light and magnifier are needed to read. My Husband has his own vision issues as well, and hates contact lens has to wear trifoculs. But he claims if I would approve of those contact lens that look like you have "satan" eyes, (red animal like appearance) he may give them a shot now and then, just to mess with people in public.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For some of us, the sudden need for glasses is enough of a sign on it's own that we're getting old. :mmph:

My mother is going on 76, and she still buys her glasses at the drug store. But lucky me, my eyes were completely shot by the time I was eight years old.

I have a watch-repair magnifying visor I use when doing electronic repair work, and I fear that very soon I'll have to wear it for reading. Life is very sad.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My mother is going on 76, and she still buys her glasses at the drug store. But lucky me, my eyes were completely shot by the time I was eight years old.

I have a watch-repair magnifying visor I use when doing electronic repair work, and I fear that very soon I'll have to wear it for reading. Life is very sad.

Sure know the feeling of needing magnifying aides....I have had to order a 20X mirror for times I wear makeup, to see well enough to apply it. 30x is jewelers loop power....my Husband says if I use the 20x it is close enough to make me a gem!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

My eyes are atrocious. And I mean ATROCIOUSLY bad. I actually qualify as being legally blind because of all my accumulated eyesight issues, which my spectacles only marginally rectify. So if anyone on this website knows anything about magnifying glasses - it'll be me. I've been using them almost since birth and whenever I see a nice one, I generally end up buying it. I have everything from 60x money-forgery loupes, to big fat cut glass desktop brass magnifying glasses. And everything in between. I carry a quizzing glass on me whenever I go out, purely out of habit and frustration. When people see me taking it out to read a menu or something, they think I'm putting on airs and graces and acting like a fop with a monocle. That's until I explain to them I'm virtually blind without it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
HAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious!

I just carry my quizzing glass around. I have seen fold-up lorgnettes. And I might buy one. One day. IF the magnification is decent. If it's piddly and weak, I wouldn't bother. Has to be at least 5x for me to show any real interest.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
How about when you wake up and think: "Oh, my God, it's a miracle! My vision is back! And it's 20/20! I can see!"

And then you realize you fell asleep with your glasses on.
When I lose my glasses (or break them like I did 8wks ago), I call it "going from HD to antenna." :D
Thankfully I kept the previous pair, and I'm wearing them now until my appointment in 2 weeks.
Yes the early 90's have returned. :eeek:

Also, gaining an incredible ability to remember people from 38yrs ago, but losing the ability to retain the previous weeks events, or days whichever you choose. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
I'm very nearsighted, which means I can't see squat more than two feet away without my glasses. But I see just fine close up without them, and it's gotten more disparate over the years. So I can't read with my glasses anymore. My eye doctor said I need bifocals, but the lower part will be just a clear lens. So I said, "you mean I need to get bifocals in order to *not* look through corrective lenses?" "Exactly."

Sigh.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'm very nearsighted, which means I can't see squat more than two feet away without my glasses. But I see just fine close up without them, and it's gotten more disparate over the years. So I can't read with my glasses anymore. My eye doctor said I need bifocals, but the lower part will be just a clear lens. So I said, "you mean I need to get bifocals in order to *not* look through corrective lenses?" "Exactly."

Sigh.

Now that sounds like a real racket!

Sigh.
I'm the opposite. My distance vision is still within the 20/20 range (barely) according to my optometrist, but I can't read anything with small lettering without corrective lenses. So I have bifocals that I use primarily as reading glasses, but the upper part of the lens slightly corrects my distance vision so that I can read the street signs clearly at 100 yards or so when I'm driving in an unfamiliar area.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Also, gaining an incredible ability to remember people from 38yrs ago, but losing the ability to retain the previous weeks events, or days whichever you choose. :eusa_doh:

Ah yes, how true that is. Can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but do I remember the little girl in plaits, when I was a six- year-old in school.

Then again, maybe it's a case of: "Rose tinted spectacles."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld