Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧

T sufferers conditions' gets worse with certain foods that are high in sodium.

Like pizza....for example. :(

That's not good. I guess I'll just have to get used to it because eating pizza will continue.

The only thing I've noticed is that loud sounds can fire it up more. So for example, if I walk buy a jackhammer in use, my tinnitus will kick up.

The constant ringing of donation bells.
Or the sudden high pitch alert from the television when they are conducting
an emergency test will cause the ringing to flare up.

Exactly.

For me, I've found the best is just to ignore / accept it or it will drive me crazy.

I have insomnia and after trying everything, I learned that acceptance and ignoring it were the best approach. When it hits hard, I just read or do work or something at night - I don't get upset about it or worry about not getting enough sleep - and in days or, sometimes, weeks, it settles down.

Having learned that from insomnia, it helped me adjust quickly to tinnitus. But to emphasize, I am not saying this will work for someone else - it's just how I deal with this stuff.

^^^^^
The saying around our house, where we live with an array of ailments and disabilities and a personality disorder or two, is "don't build a monument to it."

The challenges will be there whether we cry about them or not. Not is usually best.

This is not to say that people's suffering is to be disregarded, but only that once you've done what you can, there's nothing to be gained by cursing what you can't.

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
It's known as "tinnitus".
High pitch ringing in the ears that comes from within.

Exposure to constant aircraft engines & explosions.

I've learn to ignore it except when I'm dead tired.
Then I get the entire orchestra at full volume.

Would be nice if I could adjust the ring to a melody or
a favorite tune. :D
I've had tinnitus for decades. An old Army friend has it, too, along with attendant hearing loss. He thinks it's because of all that flying around in airplanes we did with the doors open. I always get a kick out of movies where paratroopers carry on conversations while waiting to jump. Riding in a C-130 with the doors open you couldn't hear Gabriel's trumpet. Communication was by hand gestures.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've had tinnitus for decades. An old Army friend has it, too, along with attendant hearing loss. He thinks it's because of all that flying around in airplanes we did with the doors open. I always get a kick out of movies where paratroopers carry on conversations while waiting to jump. Riding in a C-130 with the doors open you couldn't hear Gabriel's trumpet. Communication was by hand gestures.

So true!
As much as I like old westerns. When the hero gets wounded, wraps a bandana,
continues the fighting & never runs out of ammo... always brings a smile.

You ever been stung by a tiny bee and besides the pain, it starts to swell up?
Imagine what the sting from bullet can do!

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have had Tinnitus for close to 40 years now. Loud music, firearms, motorcycles and airplanes. I notice when I turn my head, my ear closest to my shoulder will hit a kind of vacuum, and then the ringing goes through the roof!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I always like those movies to! One time our com system went down on the PV2, I was the copilot, and the pilot was literally screaming into my left ear with his lips almost touching, and I could barley hear him! And back then I had very good hearing.

It's known as "tinnitus". High pitch ringing in the ears that comes from within. Exposure to constant aircraft engines & explosions.

I've learn to ignore it except when I'm dead tired. Then I get the entire orchestra at full volume.

Would be nice if I could adjust the ring to a melody or a favorite tune. :D
I've had tinnitus my entire life, so I don't know what it's like to not hear it. Mine would be best described as a tea kettle "whistle" combined with the "hiss" sound of air escaping from a pneumatic hose. I've been examined, but as this has been a lifelong condition with no apparent initial cause they were unable to precisely diagnose it or recommend a treatment (which is very common). It has slowly grown louder as I've grown older, and if it continues to do so it might negate my ability to hear at some point. *shrug* Such is life.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Enjoy the "fake craziness"
^^^^^^

I came to that conclusion back in 1966. :)

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
In particular, the scene where Eli Wallach as the bandito "Tuco" walks into a
gun shop & does the fastest gun conversion from a black powder to cartridges.

As JamesPowers would say.....
riiigghht ! :D

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^
Tuco was indeed a magician, in that scene he assembles an 1851 Navy Colt with an octagonal barrel, yet when he fires it & threatens the store owner, the gun has a round barrel. The barrel shape also interchanges throughtout the rest of the movie.It also reverts back to cap and ball in some scenes. 'Angel eyes' also had a magic pistol, his cap 'n' ball Remington must have fired cartridges since he had them on his gun belt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I would have enjoyed the movie better if this scene was included
as a warning to kids of all ages. :)

xnrt55.jpg

Last edited:
A sign you've come to peaceable terms with advancing years is getting a little thrill out of acquiring a new pair of "classy" pajamas -- dark blue with white piping and big white buttons, and then hearing Santa intimate that a burgundy sateen pair with black piping might be coming down the chimney.

Comfort, man, and style. Hard to beat that, especially for a person who would just as soon be at home than most anywhere else.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The female equivalent of that is the fact that not only do you have no problem sleeping in a shapeless, faded, patched flannel nightgown, but you make no effort whatever to conceal the fact that you do so. Fly it right out on the clothesline like a big white flag where everybody and his dog can see it.

^^^^^
I'd just as soon sleep in my birthday suit. But when I'm in for the evening I want OUT of my street clothes, and I get the sense that visitors and passersby would rather be spared the sight of my decrepit carcass in all its unclothed glory. So pajamas are the ticket.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^
Tuco was indeed a magician, in that scene he assembles an 1851 Navy Colt with an octagonal barrel, yet when he fires it a threatens the store owner, the gun has a round barrel. The barrel shape also interchanges throughtout the rest of the movie.It also reverts back to cap and ball in some scenes. 'Angel eyes' also had a magic pistol, his cap 'n' ball Remington must have fired cartridges since he had them on his gun belt. :rolleyes:
In Pale Rider Clint got it right! Although, it does not apear to be loaded. :confused:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I would have enjoyed the movie better if this scene was included
as a warning to kids of all ages. :)

xnrt55.jpg
No, it should have said, caution, watching a Sergio Leone movie will give you a life long love of Uberti replica Old west firearms! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82