Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
It has been getting way cold here at night. A few nights ago I lit the fireplace in the summer house because it was getting too cold for me. It is getting in the low 50s in the evenings. Today it is supposed to get up to 73 with a low of 56. :( Sounds about the same as what you are experiencing there. I just have a low threshold for cold temperatures I guess. [huh] :D I like it warm--all the time.

I guess i have the low tolerance for hot temps... I LOVE this time of year..

Kassia

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I am exactly the opposite. The onset of cold weather ruins my day. Shorter darker days where you wake up in the dark and come home in the dark. Dreary rainy days and just plain cold days. PU! :D

Ohhh that's winter weather... Different thing all together... I actually hate the week right after we switch back to standard time...

Kassia said:
Ohhh that's winter weather... Different thing all together... I actually hate the week right after we switch back to standard time...

I know but I notice the darker days already here. It gets darker earlier and earlier. I can't do as much in the garden and it gets too cold to really hang out with my son under the old orange tree very long after dinner.
I know winter is coming. I start hating it in fall. :D

Kassia

One of the Regulars
bruce wayne said:
summer is coming to an end when you switch from heat, to a/c & back to heat again in one day while driving around

then again, maybe that is just indiana...:eusa_doh:

You are absolutey correct!!! In my case sumners over when i have to wear a jacket when i have the top down on the car...
Winters here when i wear a jacket and have the heat on when i have the top down on the car... LOL.....

carter

I'll Lock Up
It'll warm up by the weekend but...

Sunny said:
Sounds like we're very close! I think we hit 60.

Old Lake Highlands in East Dallas. It's a lovely cool evening and we'll be sleeping with the windows open. However, only in the back of the house.

Sunny

One Too Many
carter said:
Old Lake Highlands in East Dallas. It's a lovely cool evening and we'll be sleeping with the windows open. However, only in the back of the house.
South Arlington here, and down to 54 this morning. Brr. I'm an authentic Texas hot-house plant. :eusa_doh: Like jamespowers, I'm all about warm weather and sun. Hence the username and pic. :D I actually have a high tolerance for heat, too. I was looking for a car on Labor Day weekend. In and out of oven-like cars, wandering around lots with the heat radiating up from the pavement, mostly full sun and fairly high humidity for once. My father was having a tough time with it. It didn't occur to me until I got home that, why yes, it WAS in the mid- to upper-90s, and yes, I got a little sweaty. :eek: But the heat never consciously crossed my mind, and it certainly didn't affect me. I guess that dubious benefit is why I'm uncomfortable outside with a temperature in the mid 60s, and uncomfortable inside with the A/C set below 76.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate heat.

You can live my life when Berkeley is hot, and I'll live your life when DFW is cold.

You'll have to bone up on your Latin to live my life.

I never met a temperature above 70 that I didn't hate.

Sunny said:
South Arlington here, and down to 54 this morning. Brr. I'm an authentic Texas hot-house plant. :eusa_doh: Like jamespowers, I'm all about warm weather and sun. Hence the username and pic. :D I actually have a high tolerance for heat, too. I was looking for a car on Labor Day weekend. In and out of oven-like cars, wandering around lots with the heat radiating up from the pavement, mostly full sun and fairly high humidity for once. My father was having a tough time with it. It didn't occur to me until I got home that, why yes, it WAS in the mid- to upper-90s, and yes, I got a little sweaty. :eek: But the heat never consciously crossed my mind, and it certainly didn't affect me. I guess that dubious benefit is why I'm uncomfortable outside with a temperature in the mid 60s, and uncomfortable inside with the A/C set below 76.

That sounds pretty much right for me as well. It was about the same temperature this morning. I forgot my jacket and was freezing. I have the heat on high int he office but the darned thing seems like it needs service. Not enough darned heat! :rage: We only had a few decent days this summer. All the rest were pretty much weak warm days. Lousy for gardening vegetables. I am about ready to give up on my gardeing around here. The weather has changed too much over the last twenty years to grow vegetables that need heat to mature correctly. :rage:
So, yes, I feel your pain. :D

Rachael

A-List Customer
summer is really over when...

there is that wonderful autumnal smell in the air on the evening walk

when I check my email while wrapped in grandmother's quilt, and contemplate wearing socks when I mosey downstairs to work.

ah, yes. my good friend has returned!

Burning leaves.

Rachael said:
summer is really over when... there is that wonderful autumnal smell in the air on the evening walk

Made me think back to when you could burn the leaves you raked off your lawn at the curb. Imagine doing that today and see how many entities that you'd be the object of ire and shocked distain!

Sunny

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I wouldn't live your life there if you paid me handsomely. ;) :p
Ditto! lol (Doran, I do think you'd like DFW when it's cold.)

A new one: Summer is over when the high and low temperatures swing 25-30 degrees a day for days on end. Not that it actually gets cool at night, nor that it doesn't get HOT during the day; but it does make dressing appropriately for the weather complicated. Life is so hard. /whine :p

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Look at the calendar

Hey it is 25 September ...almost October...:eusa_doh:

Looking through the window - it is pouring rain and I have seen the blue sky during the last few weeks only for a few hours...:(

carter

I'll Lock Up
Life is lovely!

MY roses are blooming again! :D Summer is slipping away and cooler weather is creeping in. :D Autumn is my favorite season. :D

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Cheering up

carter said:
MY roses are blooming again! :D Summer is slipping away and cooler weather is creeping in. :D Autumn is my favorite season. :D

Dear Carter,

Thanks for the positive thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

It really helped:)

:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Ohio is having a nice, gradual change from Summer to Fall this year. In Akron, we're in the mid-70s. Various festivals have begun around the State. Last weekend, my wife and I went to the Barberton mum fest on Saturday, and the Clinton apple festival on Sunday. Both were fantastic, as the food they sold tended to be homemade, rather than fried carnival food, and there were all sorts of activities and entertainers, rather than dart and ring games. Ohio is really a great place in Fall.

To respond to the initial post, you know that summer is over in Ohio when cities all over the State start holding apple/pumpkin/harvest/etc. festivals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe