Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Y2 Leather Deer Skin Type 1 Jacket - 25th Anniversary initial impressions

bootsonatrain

New in Town
I visited Osaka Japan in June 2024 and wanted to take advantage of the strong dollar to purchase Japanese work wear inspired clothing from well known Osakan brands. Clothing that included leather jackets.

In my research, I learned that Japanese leather jacket stock is seasonal. Typically stock is made and shipped starting in September for the Fall / Winter season. In the summer, most independent retailers are sold out of leather jackets and do not carry stock. I had known about Y2 from instagram and was delightfully surprised that they are headquartered in Osaka. After confirming stock availability, I decided to go directly to the Y2 flagship store so that I can not only shop for jackets but also meet the people behind the brand.

To shop in the flagship Y2 store, I made a reservation one month in advance. The store is tucked away in a quiet residential area, 30 min away from Osaka city center, that is easily accessible by subway and foot. There, I was introduced to the founder of Y2 and one of his jacket sewers who speak great English. They were both both warm and welcoming. With their help, I spent an hour learning from them and tried out 4 leather jackets in different styles and materials ranging from eco-horsehide, indigo horsehide, cow hide and deer skin. At the end, even though I had initially planned on an indigo horse jacket, I walked out with their 25th anniversary limited edition Type 1 Deer Skin Jacket

The style of the jacket is a slim and longer type 1. After putting it on, I thought it was a good fit and not too long for my body. But where this jacket shines and the major reason why I bought it was that it exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort. Even though the jacket is heavy and made from thick 1.8mm leather, it is very easy to wear. When I put it on, it feels like wearing a sweater, I don't feel the weight of the jacket when worn. The weight dissapears. Compare this with my CXL jacket, the wearing experience is night and day. Lastly the deer skin is low maintenance, because it is oily and thick, it requires no maintenance and can be worn in the rain.

I really enjoyed the shopping experience and the jacket I bought. I hope this post will help you in your next leather jacket purchase and perhaps inspire some of you to go visit Osaka one day.
IMG_8162.jpg
IMG_8180.jpg
IMG_8190.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_7855 2.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
Nice. I like my deerskin trophy clothing a lot. Definitely a different feeling if you're used to heavier stuff.

All leather needs maintenance btw... but no new jacket should need it for years.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the write-up!

I am a huge fan of Y2. Quality wise top tier und always great hides (some underwhelming ones too, but I guess they want some entry-level jackets in the lineup).

Congrats on the jacket. I haven’t had a chance to handle their super thick deer, but from photos it looks good enough to eat!
“The Shop Vancouver” did a run of ten (!!) western shirts in cream/offwhite deerskin shirts some two months back. Didn’t get one (and didn’t try for budget reasons), but I am sure was tempted.

Enjoy the jacket! A standout piece that will only look better with time!

Togs

New in Town
Thanks for sharing your experience, bootsonatrain. Congratulations on a good-fitting and comfortable jacket. The Y2 company store must have been an experience. Y2 has an extensive catalogue of jacket models - you can see these on their website. Were most models available in the company store, or was stock limited?

Togs

New in Town
I am a huge fan of Y2. Quality wise top tier und always great hides (some underwhelming ones too, but I guess they want some entry-level jackets in the lineup).

Tom, I've always found your Y2 posts informative. When you note some of their hides are underwhelming, which one(s) are you referring to?

bootsonatrain

New in Town
Thanks for sharing your experience, bootsonatrain. Congratulations on a good-fitting and comfortable jacket. The Y2 company store must have been an experience. Y2 has an extensive catalogue of jacket models - you can see these on their website. Were most models available in the company store, or was stock limited?
Thanks! They didn’t have all the styles that I wanted to try in stock in my size 38 or 40. But the more popular styles such as the type 1, type 2 and single riders were available. Maybe they will have more stock in the fall and winter months!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Tom, I've always found your Y2 posts informative. When you note some of their hides are underwhelming, which one(s) are you referring to?

I am generally not a big fan of their steerhides (suede or other). I also don’t like all of their horses, but I struggle to come up with the name (it may be either the HV or the „soft“ variant).
I think they really excel with the thick and almost spongy hides (more or less) unique to them: saddle horse, Eco horse or the kaki dyed hides.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Nice pick up, fits you really well. Congrats. I really like the Japanese deerskin too. Not as shiny as horsehides but very thick and wears very easily almost like a sweat shirt. It was nice to try things on in person I think that is the best way.

Coldsnap

New in Town
Nice pickup, I tried on that exact jacket a few weeks ago. Bit too small for me as I'm a 40 in their lined jackets. I did pickup a 2nd type suede steer and a varsity like jacket though. I thought the suede steer was amazing, soft in hand, but heavy, high amout of nep and beautiful color.

Togs

New in Town
I am generally not a big fan of their steerhides (suede or other). I also don’t like all of their horses, but I struggle to come up with the name (it may be either the HV or the „soft“ variant).
I think they really excel with the thick and almost spongy hides (more or less) unique to them: saddle horse, Eco horse or the kaki dyed hides.

Thanks for elaborating. I like that we have a variety of hides to choose from, within Y2 and across leather jacket makers. Specific to Y2, I've been enjoying their bull hide, indigo horse, and steer suede.

They do high volume and such different types, I'm sure some are bound to not please everyone. The eco horse is a standout for sure.

Agreed on both points.

Nice pickup, I tried on that exact jacket a few weeks ago. Bit too small for me as I'm a 40 in their lined jackets. I did pickup a 2nd type suede steer and a varsity like jacket though. I thought the suede steer was amazing, soft in hand, but heavy, high amout of nep and beautiful color.

Congratulations on your new jackets. I echo your account of the steer suede, and would add the oily moist texture gets me every time. The grain side is also beautiful. Is your Type II unlined?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I believe the Y2 suede is the roughout side of their oil steer,
IMG_1340.jpg

Y2 does small batch leather finishes like the sumi dyed and persimmon dyes. Expensive but very different than what others are doing and I think are worth it. I am still trying to find a sumi dyed single rider jacket myself...

Coldsnap

New in Town
Congratulations on your new jackets. I echo your account of the steer suede, and would add the oily moist texture gets me every time. The grain side is also beautiful. Is your Type II unlined?

Yep, unlined. I think my preference is lined, but I guess there are some advantages with unlined. And the original levis suede truckers were unlined too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88