Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Black visors are a post-WWII thing. In fact, you sometimes heard old timers talk about the "brown-shoe" Army or Air Force, meaning prior to the change to black-leather accoutrements. I'm not sure what year the exact change occurred, sometime in the mid- to late-1950s, I believe. Cold War stuff isn't as collectable yet, but it's still worth holding on to. As for the hat device, it can be removed and replaced, they're interchangable.

-Dave

Hondo

One Too Many
sherri bomb said:
I just noticed the part of emblem is missing. The "circle" above the eagle. I'm guessing this decreases the value of the hat?? :(

Not being an authority but regarding emblem circle around eagle did not appear on WWII era officers caps, I believe they came in or around 1950s, you’ll notice a smaller plain circle plate behind eagle on enlisted men’s caps, no real value unless you know it came from someone famous, just my two cents worth, could be wrong.

sherri bomb

New in Town
Hondo said:
Not being an authority but regarding emblem circle around eagle did not appear on WWII era officers caps, I believe they came in or around 1950s, you’ll notice a smaller plain circle plate behind eagle on enlisted men’s caps, no real value unless you know it came from someone famous, just my two cents worth, could be wrong.

Do you mean the eagle itself is in the circle or there is a "circle" above the eagle? Pardon my little knowledge of WW2 items lol I am researching for the bf. I just think it's unusual that I can't find this cap anywhere. I think someone must have replaced the original emblem. We received the cap today, it has an olive cap, black bill, black chin strap and brown leather pieces that hold the strap in place.

DSC03201.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
I apologize I misunderstood, I was thinking “circle” or outline the whole eagle, but you were talking about circle of stars above the eagle, which looks like it broke off on your cap, The image shown is authentic officers emblem.

>> Broken Photo Link <<

fishmeok

Vendor
reetpleat said:
Here are a couple I picked up at a thrift store. I was tempted to try wearing one around when I read a post someone posted asking if we thought it could be pulled off as a casual cap.

What do you think.

The first one looks a lot like my Dobbs- not all crush caps had single thickness visors. A few things that identify it as a "crusher" and not standard issue:
1) cover size- the crush cap has a smaller diameter than the standard officer's visor. It's more along the size of an enlisted mans' hat.
2) material- Both of those hats are made of OD wool elastique. Standard visor hats are made out of a wool/felt type material. There are several varieties of non "crusher" visor hats made from wool elastique though, and the second hat looks like one of these.
3) eagle orientation- note how the device on the first hat slants back and the second slants forward? That's a big clue. Crush caps generally fall back a bit on the head.

Best reference page here at the Acme Depot:

http://acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

That's one great thrift store find, PM me if you want some tips on replacing the sweatband.
Cheers
Mark

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Crusher Caps

Not exactly crushers, I know, but I've recently picked up a "frame cap" on eBay but I can't find out anything about them in the uniform books.
The ones I've seen always seem to have an OD serge top with a mohair band, russet leather trim and an officer's eagle. Are they really officers' caps ? Who wore them and when ?
Incidentally, if you want a cheap crusher alternative why not get hold of one of these detachable cap tops (they go for very little on eBay) and stitch in a leather visor and sweat band ? I did this a while back but no longer have the cap so I can't post a pic of it. Not for the purists, but a mega-floppy cap that's good enough for a hanger dance.

sherri bomb

New in Town
Hondo said:
Sorry I seem to lost train of thought :eusa_doh:
Your cap does not appear to be a crusher, but looks like an military academy cap, link posted by another member, should give you info you need, best regards.

http://www.acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

Oh yea I am aware this is not a crusher cap, but was not told so until after I made the first post. So sorry if this is in the wrong thread. But thanks for the link!

RudyN

A-List Customer
As to Diamond Dave, his caps are Great! I have one and am quite happy with it. As to the answer to the question I have both a Crusher from Diamond Dave and an Original Garrison Hat.

Are You Experienced?

Aren't there winter and summer versions of the AAF cap and also European and Pacific theater versions?

I was under the impression that you just popped the springy thing, that kept the top spread and up, out of the hat and it allows you to crush as needed for the rugged and experienced look.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's the finest one in my collection. It's a beautiful Dobbs, purchased at Lewis & Thomas Saltz in Washington, DC. It feels like fur felt, it's so soft and supple. It was owned by Lt Col Frederick Marshall Roberts, who worked at the War Dept in Washington, DC.
100_1684.jpg

100_1683.jpg

100_1685.jpg

Here's what I wear at living history events, but as I portray RAF, it's technically not a "crusher".
100_1686.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld