Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wise words to live by (jacket related)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
There are a few actual men's fashion channels I've seen on YT. People with their own styles, who dress for themselves and nobody else, and who use the tools of fashion (e.g. cut, silhouette, fabric, colour, texture) to build their looks. But not many.

Most of what I see in 'men's fashion' is awful, and will turn you into a basic ba***rd, whose goal, far as I can tell, is to make you as bland and inoffensive as possible. This is a particular issue when it's women doing the styling. They almost always turn men into presentably boring. There are a few exceptions, Ilaria Urbinati for example, I'm just talking about the rule.

Once I figured out what I actually liked, I got rid of almost all influencers and never looked back. Now I buy for me.
yes,

most of the male style gurus are teaching men to dress to impress a woman, or to look sexy, or to look rich... how shallow can you be I thought

most female stylist are wives, and they teach men how to dress to be invisible to other women, they will teach men not to wear leather jacket, but wear suede bomber, or cardigan instead, and to avoid strong color but use neutral tones instead, to not wear jeans but wear chinos instead, their sole goal is to make you look as boring as possible and to be a decent looking room decoration

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
yes,

most of the male style gurus are teaching men to dress to impress a woman, or to look sexy, or to look rich... how shallow can you be I thought

most female stylist are wives, and they teach men how to dress to be invisible to other women, they will teach men not to wear leather jacket, but wear suede bomber, or cardigan instead, and to avoid strong color but use neutral tones instead, to not wear jeans but wear chinos instead, their sole goal is to make you look as boring as possible and to be a decent looking room decoration

I believe what @navetsea means is that a woman prefers the attention to be on her. If all eyes in the room are on you, she gets jealous or insecure. Therefore she will always want her +1 muted down and complimentary.
Phew, now we're reaching deep into the prejudices drawer. ;)
I don't know about you, but in my environment, women don't want their men to be "invisible", nor do they get jealous or insecure because their man stands out. And I'm really happy about that.
Mine wouldn't even think of telling me what to wear.

_Wayfarer_

Familiar Face
I kind of disagree. Sort of. The boringness of the recommendations for men's fashion is very evident. There's even people arguing that those sorts of clothes make men seem more responsible, mature, and trustworthy. To me it's nonsense.

As far as the predjudice goes, I have heard it said before that women don't want to compete with their men for attention. I don't know if this is true or not because I only wear what I like and what is my style. I bet you guys are the same. This is advice I would give people--find what you like and don't let other people decide it for you.

I do think there's some latent prejudice that men need help and that women are better at fashion.

Monte.C

Familiar Face
yes,

most of the male style gurus are teaching men to dress to impress a woman, or to look sexy, or to look rich...
I would have to say that's the goal of men's fashion. To carve your place in the hierarchy. To impress the women and to impress the other men. To have impact and influence and even to suggest dominance. Sure, we'll say it's to impress ourselves - as a personal expression - but that idea isn't at all in conflict with the above. One of the primary connecting threads with my love of wristwatches and leather jackets and fairly heavy boots is that they're all strongly masculine things. I enjoy that. I can get away with it. If I can be the VERY masculine guy standing on the train, then I will. I find it to be a lot of fun. Call it self-expression if you want to.

For women, yes, they dress to attract a mate. And to impress each other. (Hierarchy.)
Break it down to simplest terms and this is what you find.

Consider the "last man on earth" scenario. You'd wear just sweats. Or combat fatigues for their prolifery of pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remytwotimes