Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Ok-we know James hated the 70's now, but if you were a kid (and I assume you were during that period) what did you do besides t-ball and cub scouts (you must have done those, or not). It's just that I want to shake this mental picture I have of you barricaded in your room until 1980.

What did you do?
(i.e. happy things)

p.s. I'm serious:)

J. M. Stovall said:
Ok-we know James hated the 70's now, but if you were a kid (and I assume you were during that period) what did you do besides t-ball and cub scouts (you must have done those, or not). It's just that I want to shake this mental picture I have of you barricaded in your room until 1980.

What did you do?
(i.e. happy things)

p.s. I'm serious:)

I lived a very 50s life back then. My parents weren't of hippie age or even near it. They kept all the hippie crap away from me. They graduated high school in 1948 and 1955 so their frame of reference was different than the parents of many of my school mates. I didn't hear any type of music in the house except Country and 50s rock until the 80s.
Good times were spent with my parents on vacations as far away from here as possible. We enjoyed conversation more than TV and meals were eaten at the dinner table---not in front of the TV. A strict code of conduct was enforced---if I ever came home with an ear ring or tatoos, I have a feeling they would have lasted long being subject to a vice grips and some type of chemical removal. Long hair---forget it. You respected your parents wishes---after all you were eating their food and living under their roof.
Riding a bicycle, playing ball and other outside things with friends comsumed most of my time. Parents kicked you out of the house back then and made you play outside on good days. We wouldn't come home until it was dark or we were hungry.

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
Yes!!!

It's still this way in some (rural) places, thank goodness.

Well it ain't here anymore. Damned hippies ruined it. :eusa_doh:

clusc_8_1_00282957a_j.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
That's good to hear James, I actually was a little worried there. Your 70's sounds pretty much like my 70's. My dad was an IBM Engineer as were all the dads of all my friends. They wore dark suits and white shirts to work, got together with friends and played bridge. Me and my brother never had long hair and where outside playing constantly, especially in the woods building forts. That rural thing was the way to go. Is it really still that way anywhere in the U.S.?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I grew up on Funk, Soul and Disco... I listen to a lot of things now but I love that stuff. I was the only kid in the 3rd grade with a Roger Troutman tape and a Bootsy Collins record. That's the 70's I like!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
That's good to hear James, I actually was a little worried there. Your 70's sounds pretty much like my 70's. My dad was an IBM Engineer as were all the dads of all my friends. They wore dark suits and white shirts to work, got together with friends and played bridge. Me and my brother never had long hair and where outside playing constantly, especially in the woods building forts. That rural thing was the way to go. Is it really still that way anywhere in the U.S.?

I guess nobody told that to all the kids in my neighborhood that are running in and out of the street until it's dark.[huh]

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't bothering anyone;

Marc Chevalier said:
You two have known each other for w-a-a-y too long! :rolleyes:

The day after Labor Day 1984 at 8:15 a.m. I'm sitting at my desk in Mrs. Sweeney's Algebra class minding my own business. Not bothering anyone, and this guy in a Guess jacket and pants with Speery Topsiders is sitting in the desk in front of me blabbering incessant nonsense. :eek:fftopic: Hey, I have the graduation picture, anyone want to see it?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82