Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
B24Pilot said:
I think we can put all almost all the fashion from the late 60`s through the early 90`s all into one giant era of fashion unconciousness. I swear almost everyone in that era was smoking crack before they got dressed. It`s all the fault of those damn hippies! Everything up to the 1950`s had a classic professional well kept look to clothing.. people looked classy and well put together. The hippies came along and ruined everything with their social rebeliion! I swear we will never recover!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
I don't get what's supposed to be appealing about James Bond's fashion sense. :eek:

Prefer the hippies. Don't want to be one, but they're probably more fun to hang out with for a weekend. Remind me of my folks. There's nothing cool about them to me, but I don't hate my parents. lol
I personally like James Bond's fashion sense because it is always extremely conservative - nearly always a plain coloured suit, plain shirt and always a plain tie. He's very British in the respect that he doesn't want to attract any attention at all, but at the same time he wants to be well dressed. I personally like the understated style which still looks clean and perfect. The way I dress is partially inspired by him as I like plain white square folded pocket squares most of the time, and I sometimes like to wear only plain colours, chiefly grey and blue.

Therefore the appeal in his style for me is the inconspicuousness of it. That picture I posted is from 1963 but you could walk around in London like that today and no one would even look at you twice, so it is also extremely timeless.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Carlisle Blues said:
What he said!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_doh:

Yep.

22262_235478659731_500054731_304808.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
B24Pilot said:
I think we can put all almost all the fashion from the late 60`s through the early 90`s all into one giant era of fashion unconciousness. I swear almost everyone in that era was smoking crack before they got dressed. It`s all the fault of those damn hippies! Everything up to the 1950`s had a classic professional well kept look to clothing.. people looked classy and well put together. The hippies came along and ruined everything with their social rebeliion! I swear we will never recover!

Love the hyperbole. Welcome!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This is easy...

the 70s! The era when clothes got FUNKY.
And not just because of looks...because of all the DACRON® you wore and sweated in year round.
jcpenny1.jpg
spacehooker.jpg

This was the heritage of the let it all hang out 60s translated from relaxed individualism into the most blatant consumerist groupthink. The basest, tackiest tastes all of a sudden were thought of as exciting and...well...FUNKY!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
The dress is beautiful as is the picture. :)

However, if you were referring to my post is was a bathing suit that was being modeled; hence the Christy Brinkley comparison.

No, not regarding your bathing suit photos, I was addressing HadleyH in my last post since she has a very sincere distaste for the fashions or culture of early 20th Century.

PS: Thank you for the compliment.:)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
This was the heritage of the let it all hang out 60s translated from relaxed individualism into the most blatant consumerist groupthink. The basest, tackiest tastes all of a sudden were thought of as exciting and...well...FUNKY!

But it was sooooooo "fly"

um I didn't know a person can wear a quilt as a funky overcoat.

superfly2.jpg
RonONeal.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
avedwards said:
I personally like James Bond's fashion sense because it is always extremely conservative - nearly always a plain coloured suit, plain shirt and always a plain tie. He's very British in the respect that he doesn't want to attract any attention at all, but at the same time he wants to be well dressed. I personally like the understated style which still looks clean and perfect.

Pretty much sums up my own view, not just of 60s fashion but style in general. What I really can't stand is a look that makes the wearer look *dirty*. I don't mean the grease and grime of honest labor, but rather, dirt and dishevelment and stink as a point of "rebelliousness," especially when sported by the type of smarmy middle-class college kid who's never had to do a day's work in his life. I know it's part of the culture now, but it's still very very unattractive and unappealing to my eyes and nose. Take a bath and get a job, ya bums.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Well, let's make everyone unhappy and put hobbled 1913 and unhinged 1969 together:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1OiljaInq4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1OiljaInq4g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Carlisle Blues said:
Whether it is considered sexually explicit, art or advertising is truly in the mind of the beholder....[huh]

But whether or not it is appropriate is in the eye of the Bartender. And The Bartender says Do Not Post Any Pictures Of Naked People per the Fedora Lounge rules, found in the FAQ.

Carlisle Blues

Forgotten Man said:
No, not regarding your bathing suit photos, I was addressing HadleyH in my last post since she has a very sincere distaste for the fashions or culture of early 20th Century.

I seem to remember Miss HadlyH dressed as a "flapper", she was quite stunning!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Carlisle Blues

scotrace said:
But whether or not it is appropriate is in the eye of the Bartender. And The Bartender says Do Not Post Any Pictures Of Naked People per the Fedora Lounge rules, found in the FAQ.

I have no disagreement on that issue whatsoever. In fact that matter has been discussed at length and resolved. What you quoted was meant as a general statement not regarding anything on The Fedora Lounge. Please my PM.

JimWagner

Practically Family
This is all fun, but perhaps there's some overindulgence in hyperbole and apples to oranges comparisons going on?

I think we can find some pretty outlandish outfits from each and every decade without too much trouble. But what if we eliminate college kids, movies, entertainers, obvious costumes, clothes intended to push the boundaries and such from the comparisons?

Instead, how about comparing how normal middle and upper class adults dressed - informally, for business and formally - in each decade? What decade would you consider the worst then? Or the best?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe