Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Femme Fatale

New in Town
The oddest thing I see here in the winter time is people wearing down coats with shorts. My brain just will not accept why on earth would anyone do that. North Carolina winters are odd in some areas for example it will be 30 in the morning and 70 by 2 o'clock but still at least match seasons.

Trombone

Familiar Face
I would have to agree with those who vote for the late 80s on up, and also with the point that the 60s and mostly the 70s get a bad rap. Okay, there were some major fashion faux pas (leisure suits) but at least people knew what they needed to wear to appropriate occasions.

Marla

A-List Customer
Reason number 258 why the current decade is the worst in terms of style:
I was at a semi-formal sit-down dinner event this evening where one of the organizers was so leisurely dressed he didn't even bother to wear an undershirt underneath his white dress shirt. No jacket, no tie (but that's hardly surprising considering the times), and the top three buttons of his shirt unbuttoned. I think speaking in front of a large group of people at an event with a dress code warrants an undershirt at least.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Reason number 258 why the current decade is the worst in terms of style:
I was at a semi-formal sit-down dinner event this evening where one of the organizers was so leisurely dressed he didn't even bother to wear an undershirt underneath his white dress shirt. No jacket, no tie (but that's hardly surprising considering the times), and the top three buttons of his shirt unbuttoned. I think speaking in front of a large group of people at an event with a dress code warrants an undershirt at least.

I don't know what people are thinking of sometimes...Whatever happened to not just respect for others, but self-respect?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Or a tracksuit, generally in grey, with "angel" or "love" written across the seat! Do they really think it looks good...?!

And what is actually obscene is when parents buy said trousers with said slogans for their young daughters. Would you really want your child to have such words emblazened on her seat?! Especially angers me since I'm a teacher.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Seen on the street this afternoon: a distinguished looking middle-aged fellow wearing an immaculate suit coat, crisp Oxford shirt, and regimental tie -- with ragged dungarees and high-top black sneakers down below. I guess that means he's a grown man only from the waist up?

Don't blame the kids. It's their parents who set the example.

Seen on the street this afternoon: a distinguished looking middle-aged fellow wearing an immaculate suit coat, crisp Oxford shirt, and regimental tie -- with ragged dungarees and high-top black sneakers down below. I guess that means he's a grown man only from the waist up?

Don't blame the kids. It's their parents who set the example.

Yes, it is their parents that bring them to school dressed in pajamas and looking like they just rolled out of bed. I saw two examples today.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

My word! Talk about schizophrenia! I'd expect to see something like that in Hollywood, not in Maine...

martinsantos

Practically Family
My vote would be 1967-1977. Horrible time for style...

1967 because then I can include in this that movie with fred Astaire and Petullah Clark (urgh!). But it's a movie that can tell a lot about those years. And make me think (and cry) when we remember that 10 years before he was filming Silk Stockings.

And final term in 1977 because... That's when I was born! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe