Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to keep wallet

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
(Many '30s/'40s suits had only one inside breast pocket, BTW.)
Yep, because three piece suits or just odd waistcoats were much more commonly worn back then and often had four pockets on the outside. The dual breast, card and pen pocket dealie is a more recent innovation.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About 18 mos ago I picked up a Hartmann Weekend Wallet, and couldn't be happier with it. I can't imagine needing anything more for day to day use. I don't wear a suit or sportcoat daily, and this fits easily into my front pocket. I highly recommend it.

4700_735_3.jpg

The opposite side has pockets for cards, and there's a center slash pocket for cash. It's made of durable belting leather, the construction is very good and it's relatively inexpensive.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
As a practical matter (for me),...

...I keep my wallet; a small Coach ID/Card Case folder (large enough for some folded banknotes, debit/credit cards, and required other docs, (DL & CCW lic.)in my left front trouser pocket. Car keys in the right front trouser pocket.
This allows a handkerchief in the left rear pocket, and my Emerson CQC-7Mini Tanto to be clipped to my right rear pocket.
This arrangement allows the relatively comfortable carrying of a handgun in the strong side carry (right handed) and a Spare mag/Surefire light on the weak side. A Cell phone rarely used, clipped near the buckle of my belt
The weather is, as a rule in South Florida, much too hot to wear a suit or sports jacket comfortably; and an outside worn, oversized polo, Guayaberra or Bush shirt is the much more sensible form or outer wear.:)

One day, several years ago; allright, much more than several years ago, I tried to wear the old styled light tan linen suit, and Panama hat I used to wear in the early 70's, and found that I was steaming with the heat and dripping with perspiration.
No breezes from the Atlantic since the hi-rises have blocked the passage of air from the beaches. By the time it gets inland it has dissipated, and we are left with auto fumes and humid, oppressive heat.

Back to practicality. Bright side is I have a new stick comming. African Blackwood with silver trim, and a large crook (Political comments here?).
If you have to utilize such a thing, at least you can do it with style.lol

Edward

Bartender
Kishtu said:
My dearie's grandfather, who was a tailor (as previously stated many times elsewhere I know, but!) never put a back pocket in trousers, because of the risk of pickpockets. Most likely place to get your wallet lifted from!

I agree - one of the reasons I keep mine on a chain. ;)

EvenOdd said:
I need to work on my luggage situation. I have a thick two-fold wallet in my back right pocket, cell phone and notepad in left pocket (notepad for those impromptu things I need to write down like a song I heard or grocery list), right pocket has pen, pencil, keys, lighter, and a few coins. I hate how bulky my front pockets are. I can put the notepad in my back left pocket to free up the front. All of these things are essentials so it's tough to reduce them down.

You need a manbag! :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
4700_735_3.jpg

The opposite side has pockets for cards, and there's a center slash pocket for cash. It's made of durable belting leather, the construction is very good and it's relatively inexpensive.

Hmmm...I may have to consider something like that. I really hate putting my wallet in my back pocket, it's very uncomfortable for me.

Edward

Bartender
A few months ago, I needed something new to carry my Oyster (smart-card payment device for London transport) around in, and I happened to discover the Jimi Wallet:

http://www.thejimi.com/wallet/index.php

Superb device. I only keep my oyster, a couple of business cards, and a Starbucks card in it - I like to have my travel card separate from my money wallets. Force of habit, partly from the old days when the magentic strip cards were advised to be carried away from regular tickets. This thing is so handy, though, I'm almost tempted to stop carrying a separate cash wallet and just stick my notes in there. I stopped keeping coins in a wallet years ago when i realised that all they do is tear up the inside of a wallet. Nowadays any coins just get dropped in my trouser pocket, notes go in the wallet.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I thought about cutting out the Oyster chip and putting it in a small pocket I'd sew into the sleeves of my jackets, or get rich by selling rings, watchstraps and cufflinks where you can hide it. I haven't figured out the details of how to get it back to the card safely when you recharge the card, though.:D

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
A few months ago, I needed something new to carry my Oyster (smart-card payment device for London transport) around in, and I happened to discover the Jimi Wallet:

http://www.thejimi.com/wallet/index.php

Superb device. I only keep my oyster, a couple of business cards, and a Starbucks card in it - I like to have my travel card separate from my money wallets. Force of habit, partly from the old days when the magentic strip cards were advised to be carried away from regular tickets. This thing is so handy, though, I'm almost tempted to stop carrying a separate cash wallet and just stick my notes in there. I stopped keeping coins in a wallet years ago when i realised that all they do is tear up the inside of a wallet. Nowadays any coins just get dropped in my trouser pocket, notes go in the wallet.

I am laughing my ass off(a rather large job these days:eek: ) because what you are showing as a "Jimi Wallet", was provided to us by the U.S.Government, in polished brass, with a U.S.Treasury Seal, enameled insignia soldered in the lower right corner, ....as a place for the concealment of valid I.D. for Agents performing undercover/covert assignments.lol lol lol lol
It had three sharp edges, (which tore the linings of our clothes) and weighed about two ounces (that is heavy for concealment) that dragged down our clothes and was about as stupid as any government effort I have observed. I have observed many in my twenty fours with the Government.:eusa_doh:

After not passing either the smell or common sense test, the idea (submitted by Office Worms)was forsaken. I think I still may have one around somewhere. (If I find it, I'll post a photo) Such things as legends and cover are best left to those who do the work. It is hard enough without amature foolishness.:) :)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
The over packed wallet is a symptom of not letting things go. Usually every 2 or 3 months I go thru my wallet and take out the non essentials. I tend to build up a bunch of receipts and business cards which needs thinning.

There have been reports of back injury due to too fat a wallet in the back pocket and spinal mis-alignment!:eek:

I have an every day wallet, a longer dress wallet for in the jacket and a money clip for vacation time in Las Vegas.

I do a lot of driving due to my job and I was having back and leg pain. I moved my wallet (trifold) from my right rear to my left front pocket and it's much better. I also need to clear my wallet of excess business card that I acquire.
Bob.

zeus36

A-List Customer
My Chiropractor told me to stop sitting on my billfold wallet. I still do if I'm wearing jeans while riding. If I'm wearing business attire or evening wear, I only use a money clip with the D/L and one credit card sandwiched inside.

My billfold with the rest of the cards and the majority of the cash goes into the safe.
I also stopped carrying pennies, dimes and nickels.

Edward

Bartender
Gideon Ashe said:
After not passing either the smell or common sense test, the idea (submitted by Office Worms)was forsaken. I think I still may have one around somewhere. (If I find it, I'll post a photo) Such things as legends and cover are best left to those who do the work. It is hard enough without amature foolishness.:) :)

There truly is - as the Good Book says - "nothing new under the Sun." lol I didn't know about those. They sound like a nice curio. I can imagine it working in a nice brushed aluminium..... they're great in the plastic, though. I really am tempted to jack in my cash wallet for one of these instead. Very handy with the oyster (reads through the plastic perfectly).

Mr Cohen, I suspect they'll be attempting to implant-chip us all before too many more years are out. The mark of the beast arrives!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Well, video surveillance is so common, the software will know if you've got a valid ticket anyway and open the gate even if you left it at home.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Curious curios

Edward said:
There truly is - as the Good Book says - "nothing new under the Sun." lol I didn't know about those. They sound like a nice curio. I can imagine it working in a nice brushed aluminium..... they're great in the plastic, though.

Good Day Edward (and all),
The main idiocy of the "nice curio" is that it was designed for personnel working in an undercover/covert intelligence or law enforcement capacity.:rolleyes:
Having any part of ones real personal identification data on your person, particularly in a shiny brass logo emblazoned carrying case, would be not unlike an individual's attempt to survive Hitler's Europe while wearing a British Police Yellow Jacket with reflective tapes, and bearing a reflective Star of David, front and back.

More reflective was the inability of HQ REMF's to place themselves in the place of Brick Agents (those that actually do the work). There are several other moronic items issued and never carried by the sane ones, in the field.

G.Ashe

Edward

Bartender
Gideon, I see what you mean. I suspect anything issued as standard to all undercover operatives, even something completely civilian in design (type of wallet, shoes, W.H.Y.) would tend to be a bit of a giveaway to those you wouldn't want realising - "Hey, this guy has a Casio watch and Clarks shoes - don't Secret service guys all wear those?" Any giveaway undercover would be a bad thing, obviously.... Apparently in the 80s, British football hooligans used to recognise undercover coppers among them by their carefully polished, shiny shoes. So I read, anyhow - if it's not an urban legend!

Either way, it sounds like an interesting curio - pity about the clothing-unfriendly sharp sides!

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
My grandfather always used to say, never keep your wallet in your back trouser pocket. I can see why. He always used to sew them up on his trousers, or make them without a back pocket (him being a tailor) and put one in the front of his trousers in which to keep his wallet. I find if I have too much change in mine it does spoil the jacket lining.

I keep a minimum of Visa card, master card, college bus pass a couple of pound coins and a fiver in there so its quite slim. A mate of mine had a Holland and Holland wallet, worth around £90.00, nicked when he was out with a girlfriend. The wallet was worth more than what was in it. My wallet was a tenner from the market in Dartford and a present from an aunt. She did put some money in it though. Its around 10 years old and I'm rather attached to it!

panamag8or

Practically Family
You know what aggravates me? Why do they call it a "bi-fold" wallet, when it only folds once? Same with a "tri-fold" that only has 2 folds.:rage:

Anyway, back on topic; Jeans, Dockers and shorts... left rear pocket. Dress pants... left front, so I can keep a good line on my posterior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley