Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Mine would be boring too.
Cooking, cleaning, tv, and various internet sites.
In the summer, yard work added to that, and running the dogs in the backyard.
If they want to pay me for that, I'll pour on the Southern accent and charm for free. :D

Last edited:
No one would watch a show of regular people doing everyday things and behaving themselves. You have to manufacture drama...
I don't know about that; I know a few people who create a lot of drama in their lives all by themselves without the benefit of cameras, editors, or a production staff. :rolleyes: Whether or not it would be entertaining to television audiences is an entirely different matter.

My wife says that she'd love to have the cameras here all the time if she could be on one of these shows...
They'd have to pay me an amount of money so obscene that I'd be foolish to turn it down, and it would have to be stipulated in writing that I got final say on any and/or all footage they used. Again, whether or not it would be entertaining is an entirely different matter.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about that; I know a few people who create a lot of drama in their lives all by themselves without the benefit of cameras, editors, or a production staff. :rolleyes: Whether or not it would be entertaining to television audiences is an entirely different matter.

They'd have to pay me an amount of money so obscene that I'd be foolish to turn it down, and it would have to be stipulated in writing that I got final say on any and/or all footage they used. Again, whether or not it would be entertaining is an entirely different matter.
Drama with no cameras?
Oh we have those at work...
I call them "Under Studies for Soap Operas." :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Apparently there are no girls in Marketing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marketing is an unusual profession. There are many more women who go into training for marketing careers, making more women "marketers" at the entry and middle levels.

However, once you get up to the highest positions, these are dominated by men. Despite more women being in the profession, twice as many men are in high level positions compared to women. And those women who are have a huge pay gap between themselves and men.

There's very few professions like that, but interestingly enough, a lot of corporate areas dominated by women see similar patterns. Instructional design and human resources being two that used to be quite severe in the gender gap between entry level and high level positions.

ETA: it was especially strong in the level of education received in ID. When I did my M.S. in ID, I was the only female, despite there being only ten males in the several hundred undergraduates in the program. I was also the only Ph.D. candidate who was a female for a long time. That is changing now though.

Last edited:
Apparently there are no girls in Marketing?
I think the vast majority of women in marketing would watch the pilot episodes of at least 90% of these "reality" shows, their official verdict would be something along the lines of, "What idiot thought this would be a good idea?", and those pilots would never be seen by the general public.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Don't be so sure. Every demographic breakdown I've ever seen shows the overwhelmingly largest segment of the audience for reality programming is women aged 18 thru 49. That's the absolute marketing jackpot -- and marketing is not and has never been about what's "good." It's about what *sells.*

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Don't be so sure. Every demographic breakdown I've ever seen shows the overwhelmingly largest segment of the audience for reality programming is women aged 18 thru 49. That's the absolute marketing jackpot -- and marketing is not and has never been about what's "good." It's about what *sells.*

Oh thanks Lizzie, you just killed another fantasy I had about women! I always thought you all were smarter then us men.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On the way home this evening, I stopped off at one of my customers, to collect a large, empty carboard carton. Since arriving home, I have crushed the carton, run over it with the car a few times and even kicked it about a bit. Then I painstakingly gathered all the damaged parts together, placing them as tidy as I could, so that I could giftwrap it all. It's going to be a present for my God-son. How he intends to get hours of pleasure out of it I fail to understand. But he really did say that what he would like for his birthday is an ex-box. Strange child.

On the way home this evening, I stopped off at one of my customers, to collect a large, empty carboard carton. Since arriving home, I have crushed the carton, run over it with the car a few times and even kicked it about a bit. Then I painstakingly gathered all the damaged parts together, placing them as tidy as I could, so that I could giftwrap it all. It's going to be a present for my God-son. How he intends to get hours of pleasure out of it I fail to understand. But he really did say that what he would like for his birthday is an ex-box. Strange child.

[video=youtube;kAG39jKi0lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI[/video]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How on earth did I ever miss that classic? Thanks for posting that. There's a good internet friend that I know Stateside, he's what you might call a geek. This will crack him up.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I would except the '94 Jaguar XJS convertible (Coventry, England with an India 6 motor).
A blast to drive; however, the IRS tax deduction crashed the subsequent audit-worth a try though....:D

Well said Harp!

One of the great joys is driving a sports car or a well sorted classic.

So very much more enjoyable than hanging around at bus stops or sitting on chewing gum on the train ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe