Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably already mentioned here (but I'm not trawling through a 178 pages to find out!) but one thing I won't miss is this hideous trend of people being famous for the sake of being famous, mostly those loathsome reality TV show stars.

The sooner they disappear from the limelight and the whole trend comes to an end the better. Although part of me fears that this is now what modern popular culture society has evolved into.

Probably already mentioned here (but I'm not trawling through a 178 pages to find out!) but one thing I won't miss is this hideous trend of people being famous for the sake of being famous, mostly those loathsome reality TV show stars.

The sooner they disappear from the limelight and the whole trend comes to an end the better. Although part of me fears that this is now what modern popular culture society has evolved into.

That is definitely one I wish would go away. You have to figure that the movie studios and TV networks like it though. They don’t have to spend money developing talent like they used to. They just get some dumbass off the street and start filming them. If I hear the last name Kardasian just one more time……:mad:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Justice would be if he fell into his pants and couldn't get out. :p
I'd call it "justice" only if I was there to see that one for myself. lol

They just get some dumbass off the street and start filming them.
I believe, they are called "media persons" over here.. since they don't do anything except being constantly in the media. They are worse then pests (at lest you can spray those to a painful death). The only way to get rid of this new breed of pests is to turn the TV off.. and stay offline. :rage:

If I hear the last name Kardasian just one more time……:mad:
Can you believe their "show" has reached the far land Behind God's back.. :eeek:
And I thought I was safe. :cry:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There were a few people like that in the Era -- Peggy Hopkins Joyce and Barbara Hutton are probably the outstanding examples, but there were also a bunch of "Cafe Society debutantes" in the late thirties who were the Paris Hiltons of their day -- Cobina Wright Jr., Brenda Frazier, and others of that sort, the spoiled overindulged daughters of pushy upper-middle-class strivers, always getting their pictures in Life and Look and getting mentioned in Winchell's column.

They weren't as crass or vulgar as the modern famous-for-the-sake-of-fame people, but they were definitely out of the same brood.

What's changed is the ubiquity of such people. Circa 1939, people like that were a side-show, not the main attraction. You could easily avoid hearing about them if you weren't interested in their doings. Today, their descendents assault you from every possible direction.

I'd call it "justice" only if I was there to see that one for myself. lol

I believe, they are called "media persons" over here.. since they don't do anything except being constantly in the media. They are worse then pests (at lest you can spray those to a painful death). The only way to get rid of this new breed of pests is to turn the TV off.. and stay offline. :rage:

Can you believe their "show" has reached the far land Behind God's back.. :eeek:
And I thought I was safe. :cry:

Yes, I would like to be there to see that myself too. :p

Yeah, Raid doesn’t work on them here either. :p

So we exported our trash TV to you eh? So how many times have you watched it? :p

There were a few people like that in the Era -- Peggy Hopkins Joyce and Barbara Hutton are probably the outstanding examples, but there were also a bunch of "Cafe Society debutantes" in the late thirties who were the Paris Hiltons of their day -- Cobina Wright Jr., Brenda Frazier, and others of that sort, the spoiled overindulged daughters of pushy upper-middle-class strivers, always getting their pictures in Life and Look and getting mentioned in Winchell's column.

They weren't as crass or vulgar as the modern famous-for-the-sake-of-fame people, but they were definitely out of the same brood.

What's changed is the ubiquity of such people. Circa 1939, people like that were a side-show, not the main attraction. You could easily avoid hearing about them if you weren't interested in their doings. Today, their descendents assault you from every possible direction.

True but at least those people were rich and had some modicum of class. We get Honey Boo Boo now!:doh: That is definitely worse.

Then there's what is now the granddaddy of reality shows, Survivor. It was originally a Japanese TV show which was copied by either the Germans or Dutch and then was in turn plagiarized by the Brits before we ripped it off from them. :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
True but at least those people were rich and had some modicum of class. We get Honey Boo Boo now!:doh: That is definitely worse.

That's bang on James. Most of today's famous-for-being-famous seem to be the lowest of the low, crassest individuals you could find. It seems with many that you have to get your bits out with the obligatory sextape and wave your undercarriage around at every opportunity when getting out of cars or leaking "selfies" of yourself on the web.

Honestly, it's enough to make you weep!

That's bang on James. Most of today's famous-for-being-famous seem to be the lowest of the low, crassest individuals you could find. It seems with many that you have to get your bits out with the obligatory sextape and wave your undercarriage around at every opportunity when getting out of cars or leaking "selfies" of yourself on the web.

Honestly, it's enough to make you weep!

It is indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82