Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Never been to them to eat, but have purchased things from the gift shops. Wow, I am shocked that place the Captain's Table is gone! I do recall the Smorgasbord place. What about the places on Beach Blvd., are those all gone too? You know the places that had to waitresses on roller skates and would host car shows and be on T.V. once in awhile, they gone now?

Beach Blvd. has also changed radically. You wouldn't recognize it. There's still a place called the Mad Greek's in Stanton that's been there since the '70s and there's the Chicken Dinner Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. They've expanded the menu and now serve much of the fare that used to be served at the Walter Knott Steakhouse which was torn down to make way for the Ghost Rider roller coaster. Up until the early '90s much of Beach still had a Route 66 atmosphere to it. Before freeways Beach Blvd. (Highway 39) was part of the main route from L.A. to Orange County.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Beach Blvd. has also changed radically. You wouldn't recognize it. There's still a place called the Mad Greek's in Stanton that's been there since the '70s and there's the Chicken Dinner Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. They've expanded the menu and now serve much of the fare that used to be served at the Walter Knott Steakhouse which was torn down to make way for the Ghost Rider roller coaster. Up until the early '90s much of Beach still had a Route 66 atmosphere to it. Before freeways Beach Blvd. (Highway 39) was part of the main route from L.A. to Orange County.

Wow it has been a while since I have been there. Beach was loaded with places to eat, jewelry stores, clothing and furniture stores. And a Drive In theater somewhere in the mix of all that. Knotts Berry Farm was a fun place to go and to shop for different things and the rides were o.k., too. They did make a good Jam and Jelly in a jar for a top dollar price.

I believe you're referring to the Hiway 39 Drive-In that was on Beach and Trask right by the 22 Freeway. It was torn down some ten years ago and now a Walmart and a Lowe's is there. My neck of the woods, the Huntington Beach part of Beach Blvd. south of the 405 Freeway is now strip malls and car dealerships. My fondest memories of Knott's are from the '70s and '80s. Back then they had a Roaring '20s themed area which was my favorite part of Knott's (it's now the '50s-themed California Boardwalk). I used to also spend hours in the Western Trails Museum in Ghost Town (I believe it's still there). Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair who also owns Cedar Point, Mall of America and several other theme parks in the Midwest. They've added many of the rides and attractions from the other Cedar Fair parks.

rue

I believe you're referring to the Hiway 39 Drive-In that was on Beach and Trask right by the 22 Freeway. It was torn down some ten years ago and now a Walmart and a Lowe's is there. My neck of the woods, the Huntington Beach part of Beach Blvd. south of the 405 Freeway is now strip malls and car dealerships. My fondest memories of Knott's are from the '70s and '80s. Back then they had a Roaring '20s themed area which was my favorite part of Knott's (it's now the '50s-themed California Boardwalk). I used to also spend hours in the Western Trails Museum in Ghost Town (I believe it's still there). Knott's is now owned by Cedar Fair who also owns Cedar Point, Mall of America and several other theme parks in the Midwest. They've added many of the rides and attractions from the other Cedar Fair parks.

I am sooooo not happy about what they've done to Knott's. I haven been there in years, but it started with them taking out Bear-y tales :(

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well I can tell you the very first time I was at Knotts Berry Farm, it had rides....but the parking lot was dirt! I do recall so much of what you say and what has changed but then it does not shock me.

I lived in Diamond Bar (my last home in California), but recall when that was not a city, it was merely a name for the housing developer's tract. I also recall the bulldozers plowing the way for the 210 freeway and them ripping out all the homes along the route for that to be put in. Beach Blvd. was a place to cruise for gals, as the area of all the beach fronts, and the boardwalks as well. They still have Winchell's Donuts shops there? I recall what a donut and a drink could do for meeting some beach bunny types...makes you wanna cry for those days to be back.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Made some Hamburger Helper Lasagna for supper.

I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper, it does fine by itself - Cousin Eddie
The first time I observed a box of that in a store many years ago, I thought they had to have put a "toy" in that box something like either a box of cereal or cracker jacks!

rue

Well I can tell you the very first time I was at Knotts Berry Farm, it had rides....but the parking lot was dirt! I do recall so much of what you say and what has changed but then it does not shock me.

I lived in Diamond Bar (my last home in California), but recall when that was not a city, it was merely a name for the housing developer's tract. I also recall the bulldozers plowing the way for the 210 freeway and them ripping out all the homes along the route for that to be put in. Beach Blvd. was a place to cruise for gals, as the area of all the beach fronts, and the boardwalks as well. They still have Winchell's Donuts shops there? I recall what a donut and a drink could do for meeting some beach bunny types...makes you wanna cry for those days to be back.
Winchells.... I don't think very many of them are left :Cry:

I am sooooo not happy about what they've done to Knott's. I haven been there in years, but it started with them taking out Bear-y tales :(

I wish there was some better footage of the Knott's Beary Tales ride. I can do without the commentary by "Bob and Doug Mackenzie" :( Winchell's is still around though there aren't quite as many as there used to be. Fortunately there's one right near me. :)

AtomicEraTom said:
Made some Hamburger Helper Lasagna for supper.

Actually Hamburger Helper isn't all that bad. When I do make it I only make half and save the rest for some other time. I do miss the Southwestern style Hamburger Helper -- that was the best.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Knotts was a fun place, the small shops they had you could buy collectables, jams, clothing, and they had some interesting buildings, one was all pitched at an angle to make it appear that chairs would stick to a wall and water would run up hill and they had a place for a few dollars you could pan for real gold.

That's the Calico Mine Ride -- it's still there. Incidentally the motive power is adapted from the same kind of electric locomotive used in actual mines.

[video=youtube;MZ0cYPaXcqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0cYPaXcqM[/video]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The chicken fried steak sounds good...I will normally have some sweet dinner rolls with it and a very large salad.

Not sure what we will have, my Son will be coming over and we may just cook some pan fried ham with some sweet potato french fries and cole slaw, a fast simple meal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun