Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

I had to re-read this, because the first time I read it I thought it said, "Coffee, a banana, and a leftover hangover from supper last night." :D

Well.....not this time, thankfully.

But that's not to say it hasn't happened once or twice before.

[emoji481]

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I respect and love farmers, without them, I, along with everyone else, will be dead inside of a month, but this daylight saving time is complete nonsense. Pick one of the other - I could care less which one - and let's just go with that forever.
It's to no fault of the farmer's. Farmer's get up with the sun, as does their live stock. In fact daylight savings time can be quite harmful to egg production and other such things by changes to the animals sleeping schedule. The reason farmers get the blame for daylight savings time is that at the time of it's proposal farmers were the loudest protesters of daylight savings time.

So far as biscuits and gravy, biscuits here in the states are quite different from what y'all serve over in England. Mine specifically as they're made with sourdough. As previously stated they are difficult to describe, a dense, soda bread like food. As far as the gravy it is a white country gravy. Add a tablespoon or more of butter, a sweet onion diced, salt, pepper, and habanero pepper to taste to the dutch over (or saucepan). When the onions are near to translucent, add a pound or more of breakfast sausage meat, crumbled. When the sausage has cooked through add a quarter to a half cup of flour, when the flour has browned and attached to the onion and sausage, add a half gallon of milk. Stir 'til thickened, and serve over biscuits. I also add a few cans of diced green chilies when I pour the milk in.

This fella has a pretty good demonstration for fixin' sourdough biscuits.

Last edited:
It's to no fault of the farmer's. Farmer's get up with the sun, as does their live stock. In fact daylight savings time can be quite harmful to egg production and other such things by changes to the animals sleeping schedule. The reason farmers get the blame for daylight savings time is that at the time of it's proposal farmers were the loudest protesters of daylight savings time.

So far as biscuits and gravy, biscuits here in the states are quite different from what y'all serve over in England. Mine specifically as they're made with sourdough. As previously stated they are difficult to describe, a dense, soda bread like food. As far as the gravy it is a white country gravy. Add a tablespoon or more of butter, a sweet onion diced, salt, pepper, and habanero pepper to taste to the dutch over (or saucepan). When the onions are near to translucent, add a pound or more of breakfast sausage meat, crumbled. When the sausage has cooked through add a quarter to a half cup of flour, when the flour has browned and attached to the onion and sausage, add a half gallon of milk. Stir 'til thickened, and serve over biscuits. I also add a few cans of diced green chilies when I pour the milk in.

This fella has a pretty good demonstration for fixin' sourdough biscuits.

You're making me hungry. Haven't had b & g in a while. Love that stuff if it's prepared well. Sounds like yours would suit my taste buds very nicely.
HD

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
^^^ So "daylight savings time is for the farmers" is an urban myth. Then who the heck wanted / wants it - who started this nonsense in the first place?

The farmers were guilt by association, in the fact that the public forgot that farmers were protesters. Daylight savings time was first adopted in parts of Canada, I believe in the early years of the twentieth century. I've read that during World War One to save on energy costs many of the European powers, starting with Germany adopted the policy of daylight savings time.

HD, you ever make it out to West Texas, I'll be sure an fire up the dutch ovens.

...who started this nonsense in the first place?
Although the modern version of Daylight Saving Time was first proposed by New Zealand entomologist George Hudson in 1895, it wasn't until 1916 when Germany and Austria-Hungary first implemented the concept in order to conserve coal during World War I. It was first put into use in the U.S. in 1918. And yes, most farmers and ranchers oppose Daylight Saving Time for a number of reasons.

Although the modern version of Daylight Saving Time was first proposed by New Zealand entomologist George Hudson in 1895, it wasn't until 1916 when Germany and Austria-Hungary first implemented the concept in order to conserve coal during World War I. It was first put into use in the U.S. in 1918. And yes, most farmers and ranchers oppose Daylight Saving Time for a number of reasons.

As always, good smart sense from the farmers. Thank you

Supermarket-crumbcake with vanilla-pudding-cream inside and graincoffee.

I love cakes, cookies, etc., with cream inside. Does anyone remember cream horns? Basically a pastry shell kinda in the shape of a horn chock full of vanilla cream. I had them as a kid, but even in NYC (where everything exists somewhere if you can just find it), I haven't been able to find them.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scallops with Lava Bread (seaweed), Black Pudding, Tomatoes & toast :) Maybe some Bacon too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82