Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

"Is this "History Detectives: Special Investigations" the new version of what had been "History Detectives?" "

A slightly-revised version of the same basic idea. The difference is going from several small items to a larger topic, as you said. I like both so won't be critical of the change. Same people (mostly) and it's still a bit "fakey" to me. I sometimes wonder about what they say: For example, the lead guy saying he had never heard of the "friendly-fire/bombing" theory of Glenn Miller's disappearance. I have known about that one for years, so why hasn't he, if he's enough of a historian to have his own TV show.

Still, it's far better than anything on the History Channel, so I'll take it and be happy.

I agree. Far better than most History Channel offerings. And, like you, my girlfriend and I were stunned that Wes Cowan - who we've seen for years and is, of course, incredibly knowledgable and would know all about the friendly fire theory - would be comfortable "playing a role" in that way. This "reality" TV stuff is silly and off-putting - but it must be what people like because it is done on so many shows.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Is this "History Detectives: Special Investigations" the new version of what had been "History Detectives?"

It seems the show is different in that it now focuses more on a historical event / mystery and tries to solve that mystery than the old show which focused on three or four historical items a show and tried to explore their specific history and relevance. It also is different in that this new version seems more staged - the investigators seem to be playing roles and reading from scripts much of the time (those "informal" chats feel very forced); whereas, it felt more natural in the old format. Also, it seems a little lighter, a little more superficial than the old show where it felt they really dug into the minutia of an item's history.

What have others thought / felt about this new version?

I agree with every thing you have said, but as others have said, beats the heck out of the History Channel! Maybe they will do both formats?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Million Dollar Collections. The late Jacques M. Littlefield tank collection. Over 100, many going up for auction. I did not even know that a private collector had a Panther tank!

Would you please stop posting that photo of yourself after you sniffed some Hippies!
Hippie_Sniffer_zps83fc4f19.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
A show on PBS about the Glenn Miller disappearance. It was interesting, it talked about the theories, which the show proved to be false. It said that the plane crashed due to a faulty carburetor (I knew this already from reading his Wikipedia page). Watching it inspired me to get a Glenn Miller CD, and I also got an early Lawrence Welk CD too.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Been watching the mini series from 1994 of Stephen King's "The Stand". Very well done with teleplay by King and some big name actors. I completely missed it somehow when it was on TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82