Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
In other words---reality. :p

Well, yeah, exactly James (may I call you that?). I think that people expect every WW2 story to have an uplifting side. I guess this is why I liked The Pacific more than Band of Brothers. The Pacific was just really bleak.

'The Crawling Eye' (1958) aka 'The Trollenberg Terror'.
Low (and I mean Loooooooow) budget googly eyed, tentacle waving aliens terrorizing Europe. Pre F-troop Forrest Tucker kicks @ss and takes names.

5 out of 6 needed to get through this one.

Last edited:
Crossfire with Robert Ryan and Robert Mitchum.

What did you think of it?

I watched "Peyton Place" on the Movies channel this morning. I am embarrassed by how much I enjoy this silly soap opera of a movie with some very stilted acting. For all its flaws, it still has some great time-travel aspect to it - it's amazing to see a time where everyone wasn't cynical about everything.

Yes, there was hypocrisy and many social problems and I'm not arguing that one time is better than the other (that gunfight breaks out at FL often enough without my help), I'm just saying it is amazing to see a time when our society had different flaws and different values and different norms.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, exactly James (may I call you that?). I think that people expect every WW2 story to have an uplifting side. I guess this is why I liked The Pacific more than Band of Brothers. The Pacific was just really bleak.

James is fine, just don't call me late for dinner. :p
The real war for many people was pretty bleak when their loved ones never came home. War is not a subject for an uplifting message. Maybe if we portrayed it more accurately then there would be less of them.....

In my opinion Them! is one of the movies from it's era that has really held up well over the years, and I've enjoyed it every time I've seen it.

How many hundred times have you seen it?! :p Is it like:
hand.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What did you think of it?

I watched "Peyton Place" on the Movies channel this morning. I am embarrassed by how much I enjoy this silly soap opera of a movie with some very stilted acting. For all its flaws, it still has some great time-travel aspect to it - it's amazing to see a time where everyone wasn't cynical about everything.

Yes, there was hypocrisy and many social problems and I'm not arguing that one time is better than the other (that gunfight breaks out at FL often enough without my help), I'm just saying it is amazing to see a time when our society had different flaws and different values and different norms.

Peyton Place was filmed right in my area -- most of it the next town over from where I live, and parts in the town where I was born. And I can tell you that it's a highly sanitized version of the kind of sleazy back-door secrets you'll find in most small New England towns. The book is even more explicit. It's really appropriate that most of it was filmed in the town where it was -- for to this day that town is exactly the sort of town Peyton Place is, full of stick-up-the-butt upper-middle-class white people in deep, deep denial about what's going on under their very own upturned noses. I lived there myself for eight years, and got to see a lot of it firsthand.

We screened "Peyton Place" last summer from a really shabby 35mm print that kept breaking, but it was fun to see again on the big screen, especially because a lot of the people who'd appeared as extras during their youth were on hand to see themselves on screen. We also laugh a lot at the way it's edited -- one scene jumps over thirty miles in a single cut, while creating the impression that the two locations shown are back-to-back.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
What did you think of it?.

It was good and focused on a lot of different aspects of the post-war world: soldiers coming home and trying to wrap their heads around being in a world at peace, anti-Semitism, the still strong bond between soldiers...

Robert Ryan is such a great bad guy, too.

Peyton Place was filmed right in my area -- most of it the next town over from where I live, and parts in the town where I was born. And I can tell you that it's a highly sanitized version of the kind of sleazy back-door secrets you'll find in most small New England towns. The book is even more explicit. It's really appropriate that most of it was filmed in the town where it was -- for to this day that town is exactly the sort of town Peyton Place is, full of stick-up-the-butt upper-middle-class white people in deep, deep denial about what's going on under their very own upturned noses. I lived there myself for eight years, and got to see a lot of it firsthand.

We screened "Peyton Place" last summer from a really shabby 35mm print that kept breaking, but it was fun to see again on the big screen, especially because a lot of the people who'd appeared as extras during their youth were on hand to see themselves on screen. We also laugh a lot at the way it's edited -- one scene jumps over thirty miles in a single cut, while creating the impression that the two locations shown are back-to-back.

I want to re-read the book which I own but is packed away as our life is in a bit of controlled turmoil right now as we bought a coop but aren't moving in until we have some work done, but our landlord (of seven years whom we've never, ever paid late or gave them a problem) refused to offer us a three month lease extension, so we are shipping things to my girlfriend's parents in MI, having a mover store most of our other things and are moving into a short-term furnished rental for three months - phew. That's my way of explaining why I won't be able to find my copy of "Peyton Place" for several months, but then I have to read it.

It's funny when you know an area where something is film as you see all the "liberties" Hollywood takes. For example, I think it was the movie "The Nanny Diaries" or some such other silly fluff where they take a subway from one side of Central Park in NYC to the other. There is absolutely no subway in NYC that does that. Also, I love the idea of pulling up in front of a building in midtown Manhattan and getting a parking space without effort (something that hasn't happened in the recorded history of time in real life, but regularly occurs in movies and TV).

It was good and focused on a lot of different aspects of the post-war world: soldiers coming home and trying to wrap their heads around being in a world at peace, anti-Semitism, the still strong bond between soldiers...

Robert Ryan is such a great bad guy, too.

He's one of those stars that never made it to the top of the top, but does an excellent job and made a lot of movies.

Mitchum, on the other hand, did everything he could to sabotage his career, but became and remained an A-lister for a long time. Mitchum's voice, its pitch, resonance, inflection is so powerfully distinctive that he can coast through some scenes on his voice's nuance and presence alone.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
'The Crawling Eye' (1958) aka 'The Trollenberg Terror'.
Low (and I mean Loooooooow) budget googly eyed, tentacle waving aliens terrorizing Europe. Pre F-troop Forrest Tucker kicks @ss and takes names.

5 out of 6 needed to get through this one.

I never saw the whole movie as a kid and I was so stoked to see it from start to finish I bought a copy a few years back. As with some other films of that time I watched and said "what the hell?" I liked it better than his other British SciFi foray "The Creature from Planet X". That one wasn't low budget it was NO budget!

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I want to re-read the book which I own but is packed away as our life is in a bit of controlled turmoil right now as we bought a coop but aren't moving in until we have some work done, but our landlord (of seven years whom we've never, ever paid late or gave them a problem) refused to offer us a three month lease extension, so we are shipping things to my girlfriend's parents in MI, having a mover store most of our other things and are moving into a short-term furnished rental for three months - phew. That's my way of explaining why I won't be able to find my copy of "Peyton Place" for several months, but then I have to read it.

It's funny when you know an area where something is film as you see all the "liberties" Hollywood takes. For example, I think it was the movie "The Nanny Diaries" or some such other silly fluff where they take a subway from one side of Central Park in NYC to the other. There is absolutely no subway in NYC that does that. Also, I love the idea of pulling up in front of a building in midtown Manhattan and getting a parking space without effort (something that hasn't happened in the recorded history of time in real life, but regularly occurs in movies and TV).

Ah.... life in the City.... I feel for you man. Nothing like finding out where you really stand with a landlord. I know I'm up in the sticks but I paid off my mortgage April 1st, it just don't get no better. Only 1/8th of an acre but it's all mine till the meteor hits. I wish you much luck and happiness in your new digs....

Worf

Ah.... life in the City.... I feel for you man. Nothing like finding out where you really stand with a landlord. I know I'm up in the sticks but I paid off my mortgage April 1st, it just don't get no better. Only 1/8th of an acre but it's all mine till the meteor hits. I wish you much luck and happiness in your new digs....

Worf

Thank you very much Worf. Part of the motivation to buy was to finally get out of the renting game. Everyone's situation is different, and it didn't make sense for us for a long time, but we think it does now - so we are owners not renters. This little knee-to-the-groin on the way out of our last rental was almost a "good" thing as it made the "oh my God, we just spent how much on what" buyer's remorse a little bit easier to take.

Congrats on having your mortgage paid off - that adds some great financial stability to your life and is a testament to your financial prudence. Well done sir - I'm very happy for you.

Oh, God, YES!!!!!!

My most favorite movie genre!!!!!

~shoes~

We live in a world of constant change - I don't expect any product I like to be there the next time I go back (God forbid you liked a shirt you bought a year ago as when you ask for it again you'll hear "Oh, that was last years model," like they supped up the engine or something to the shirt), but TCM has to remain TCM - it is the best channel on TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe