Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What seperates "golden era" from "midcentury"?

^^^^^^
It’s also playing a large role in how class lines are drawn. I fear that by expanding on this we might be venturing into forbidden territory, but I trust that the gist of it is clear enough.

I enjoy learning, in settings formal and informal. I once said that if I could afford to I would go to school for the rest of my life. But that’s been 30 or more years ago now, when I was even then considerably older than “college age.” I’ve since become skeptical of much of what the academy imparts. We need people versed in matters best learned in colleges and universities with high standards (no one wants a doctor educated at a diploma mill), but the proliferation of speculative BS emanating from so many academic departments leaves me thinking that they exist mostly to perpetuate themselves.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The investigative journalist John Keats (not the poet, settle down English majors) wrote a book in 1965 called "The Sheepskin Psychosis" that predicted pretty much everything we see today, in that the overemphasis on college credentials in the business world was being used to create a self-perpetuating caste system that had nothing to do with actual abilities or qualifications, and everything to do with "social expectations." Keats saw this happening sixty years ago, and he was frighteningly accurate in what he warned would be the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75