Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you gentlemen.

I hope the traditional route will give me some ways of looking at my long-COVID that Western medicine hasn’t considered. I have already discovered a very common traditional Thai medicine called “ya-hom powder” that treats chronic dizziness and chronic heartburn. According to the Thais, these are related. Here is an explanation:

“Traditional Thai medicine can trace its origins to Ayurveda medicine, which believes in “elements” in the body. This has affected the use of ya-hom. Ya-hom is considered a treatment for imbalances in the wind element. In fact, many people refer to ya-hom as ya-lom, meaning “wind medicine,” as it is thought to achieve a greater balance of the wind element in the body. Users believe that ya-hom can alleviate the symptoms of an imbalance known as “smooth wind imbalance” (Thai: ลมกองละเอียด lom-kong-la-ied), which causes dizziness and nausea, and another imbalance known as “coarse wind imbalance” (Thai: ลมกองหยาบ lom-kong-yab), which causes gas, heartburn, and flatulence.

“The smooth and coarse winds are closely related to each other. According to traditional medicine theory, imbalances often start from coarse wind occurring during indigestion. As the coarse wind moves upward, it becomes smooth wind that circulates throughout the body, causing undesired symptoms. Ya-hom is believed to help ease these symptoms, as it tackles the imbalances from the beginning coarse wind imbalance to the subsequent smooth wind imbalance.”

It seems simplistic and naive to believe that I can be completely disabled by a “wind imbalance” but at this point I don’t give a dang what the answer is - whatever works is what I’m going with and as crazy as it is sounds, this medicine does relieve my symptoms (honestly, it doesn’t sound crazy to me and I am extremely grateful to have found some relief).

(BTW, the quotation above is from the following website, if anyone is interested in more info:

The medicine literally costs fifty cents at the 7-11, and since it is so common here I am hoping the Thai healers have well-founded practices for dealing with complicated cases like mine. A few needles and some fresh herbs and maybe I’ll be good to go?

View attachment 640346
View attachment 640347

All that to say, I am still finding ways to move forward with this thing. I hope to see a traditional Thai healer in the next few days.

Here I am again in the silk Stetson, just to get this thread back on target. This cap has become my preferred headwear.

Happy Monday night/Tuesday morning friends.

View attachment 640348

I’m still pullin’ for you, Nate!
Whatever will get ‘er done.

Woof. That’s one shiny beautiful finish!
My nicest one doesn’t shine like that a bit.
I have several melusines sporting a nice sheen, but was unaware that “real velour” could shine that much.
Randall, Thank you again! Yes they can light up in the sunshine. This is a striking Velour finish called "Platin". I left this hat (it's a small size) with Graham Thompson of Optimo Chicago. We had a meeting at his production facility a couple years ago to discuss specialty finishes. I also left him a small size JHS "Seal Velour".

J. Hückel´s & Söhne "Platin" possibly early 1930s.

37516425331_0b31fb2f0e_b.jpg

37466965106_4e2ed3feaf_b.jpg

37515853911_79b9dbb4b3_b.jpg

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
Randall, Thank you again! Yes they can light up in the sunshine. This is a striking Velour finish called "Platin". I left this hat (it's a small size) with Graham Thompson of Optimo Chicago. We had a meeting at his production facility a couple years ago to discuss specialty finishes. I also left him a small size JHS "Seal Velour".

J. Hückel´s & Söhne "Platin" possibly early 1930s.

37516425331_0b31fb2f0e_b.jpg

37466965106_4e2ed3feaf_b.jpg

37515853911_79b9dbb4b3_b.jpg
Very nice hat. I love the way it shines !!

Because one is fast food giant and the other a canned soup giant? I know the hat made me powerfully hungry for a giant meal once donned!

Thanks, friends!
Just the typical red and orange labels for the 20s/30s era. The LOT # is way too faint to make out, but if I had to hazard a guess I’d say the first number is an 8, which, if it is an 8 then it might suggest that this hat was built before the lot number rollover?
I’ve forgotten, what was the last year/era for Stetson to have embossed the two medals denoting the big deal Expo award?
Ha, actually back in Scotland in the 1600s there was a massacre of the McDonalds by a regiment headed by Campbells in the valley of Glencoe. There's been bad blood ever since...

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very interesting, Perry. Time is a healer.
Or…
This may be a testament to the power of fur hat making and those who wear them. ;-)
One day we may find a hat with the liner bearing the name, Hatfield & McCoy, or maybe even, John & Robinette.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hoping you can finally get some relief soon.
Thank you Blare. I certainly hope so too, and I can use all the prayers I can get. In the meantime I have an appointment with pain management on the 27th. Needless to say I was none too happy having to wait that long . Especially since this pain is so unbearable. The price of getting older, I guess. Everyone take care of yourselves the best you can. Most of us here are not 21 anymore.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Randall, Thank you! Super Excellent Quality Bowler from you today! The 1950s Borsalino Velour is very high quality Real Velour. The pre WWII Austrian Velour was the finest Real Velour. I would say J. Hückel´s Söhne / JHS was at the top. Technically JHS were in Czechoslovakia after WWI but they were still a Austrian - German company up to WWII. This is a good example.

J. Hückel´s Söhne "Superior" "Crystall Velour" possibly late 1920s early 1930s.

54000453356_11241b7b63_b.jpg

54000780909_349861d5e7_b.jpg

54000705593_abca1a38a1_b.jpg
Whoa! Now that's a hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton