Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Steve ... that does seem like a very odd omission by Moores. Now, I am very curious if anyone knows if this was deliberate and, if so, then what was their rationale.
The rational was sales. London, Paris, New York were known cities of fashion. Manchester wasn't, though that was the centre of English hat makers since the early to mid 1800s.

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
The rational was sales. London, Paris, New York were known cities of fashion. Manchester wasn't, though that was the centre of English hat makers since the early to mid 1800s.
Thanks for sharing that. Now that there are fewer quality hat makers, my hope is that there is less pressure on them to make these kind of unfortunate marketing decisions just to sell a few more hats.

Echter Velour - Soleil, possibly late 1920s early 1930. This is only marked Soleil Velour that I have encountered. The Velour is fantastica and is extreme Zephyr weight so super pliable. There is no factory mark so a mystery hat. It has very wide band and with semi Bat Wing Bow. I found this Velour back in 2017.

53998045611_38b311fcd6_h.jpg

53998010731_9f6af952fe_h.jpg

53997088127_f81c1a3a4d_h.jpg

53998321979_21faacd609_h.jpg

53998326194_df73166fc2_h.jpg

Hair Velour / Real (Echter) Velour / Prime (Prima) Velour Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)

"(The unclipped (unshorn) velour hair is called “Flamand”, in this case the hair is long, undulated, soft and glossy as it reflects a lot of light. When the tips are clipped off and the hair is ironed all around or from top to bottom one talks about “Soleil”. Most difficult is the production of upright “open” velour because in this case a particular tightness (or density?) and sturdiness of the hair is necessary and it is significantly harder to produce the same amount of gloss as where an entire, smooth surface displays.)"

If you are interested in how Echter / Real Velour was produced this is the entire article. You are not going to find this anywhere else.

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Echter Velour - Soleil, possibly late 1920s early 1930. This is only marked Soleil Velour that I have encountered. The Velour is fantastica and is extreme Zephyr weight so super pliable. There is no factory mark so a mystery hat. It has very wide band and with semi Bat Wing Bow. I found this Velour back in 2017.

53998045611_38b311fcd6_h.jpg

53998010731_9f6af952fe_h.jpg

53997088127_f81c1a3a4d_h.jpg

53998321979_21faacd609_h.jpg

53998326194_df73166fc2_h.jpg

Hair Velour / Real (Echter) Velour / Prime (Prima) Velour Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)

"(The unclipped (unshorn) velour hair is called “Flamand”, in this case the hair is long, undulated, soft and glossy as it reflects a lot of light. When the tips are clipped off and the hair is ironed all around or from top to bottom one talks about “Soleil”. Most difficult is the production of upright “open” velour because in this case a particular tightness (or density?) and sturdiness of the hair is necessary and it is significantly harder to produce the same amount of gloss as where an entire, smooth surface displays.)"

If you are interested in how Echter / Real Velour was produced this is the entire article. You are not going to find this anywhere else.

Nice old hat, brother!

Very interesting reading, Steve! Thanks for posting. I’ve a new respect for the art of making vintage velour hats and the cachet of owning vintage velour hats—of which I have around 5; all Borsalinos from the 50s.
Wonder how they rate…

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Unfortunately, I am back in the land of super slow internet. If I wait about five minutes, maybe half the photos on any given page will load. I’ll have to catch up on this thread once I get somewhere with better internet.

I am fully wrapped up here with my health. Freediving was not the panacea I hoped it would be, but it has given me lots of new information about my symptoms. This next week, I plan to consult of a traditional Thai healer on island and see what they have to say.

The weather has been cool enough here to wear mostly my Stetson silk cap. This photo doesn’t quite look like me (or at least any me that I’m used to seeing in the mirror) which is maybe why it fascinates me so much.

Best wishes to you all from a beach in Thailand.
IMG_3894.jpeg

Unfortunately, I am back in the land of super slow internet. If I wait about five minutes, maybe half the photos on any given page will load. I’ll have to catch up on this thread once I get somewhere with better internet.

I am fully wrapped up here with my health. Freediving was not the panacea I hoped it would be, but it has given me lots of new information about my symptoms. This next week, I plan to consult of a traditional Thai healer on island and see what they have to say.

The weather has been cool enough here to wear mostly my Stetson silk cap. This photo doesn’t quite look like me (or at least any me that I’m used to seeing in the mirror) which is maybe why it fascinates me so much.

View attachment 640096
Good to see you make an appearance, Nathan. Sorry you did not find the health answers you were looking for yet... but glad you are still moving forward.

TimmyV

One of the Regulars

View attachment 640096
It was good to hear from you again Nathan. I hope your health improves and you're back to your old self soon !

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 640096
Great to hear from you, Nathan. You're looking good, and look like yourself even though you don't feel or see it.

Don't be too sorry about slow Internet. It's good to get off the grid.

Love the cap, my friend.

Stay safe and be well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1