Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
MG shirt, hat & insignia 005.JPG MG shirt, hat & insignia 006.JPG
Still taking care of Tina, out buying provisions today. Behind me at the checkout a voice said: "That's got to be your classic red MG outside. I turned to see an older fellow, probably retired, looking at my Biltmore, or more to the point, the hatpin.
Then he caught sight of the shirt that Tina had made and we had an OMG moment. I opened the blazer
and his eyes almost came out on stalks.
"Your shirt buttons," he said, "they look like your hatpin," "most observant of you," I replied with a smile. "Both shirt buttons and hatpin started out as lapel pins," I explained. "The shirt is bespoke, I had it made." I thought best not to give Tina her due credit, I just wanted away and this fellow was all but wetting himself with excitement.
"Your shirt and my hat had an admirer at the supermarket," I told her when I got home. "Men!" Was all she said.

RickP

Practically Family
View attachment 637860 View attachment 637857
Still taking care of Tina, out buying provisions today. Behind me at the checkout a voice said: "That's got to be your classic red MG outside. I turned to see an older fellow, probably retired, looking at my Biltmore, or more to the point, the hatpin.
Then he caught sight of the shirt that Tina had made and we had an OMG moment. I opened the blazer
"Your shirt buttons," he said, "they look like your hatpin," "most observant of you," I replied with a smile. "Both shirt buttons and hatpin started out as lapel pins," I explained. "The shirt is bespoke, I had it made." I thought best not to give Tina her due credit, I just wanted away and this fellow was all but wetting himself with excitement.
"Your shirt and my hat had an admirer at the supermarket," I told her when I got home. "Men!" Was all she said.
love the MG pin

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
On this 78 degree day, I am wearing my Mallory Fifth Avenue produced for Kraus Mens Wear. As you can see, the liner has a very trippy design. This styling along with its plastic tip liner, lead me to conclude that this hat was made sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s before the appearance of the "Mallory by Stetson" brand.
View attachment 637824
View attachment 637825
View attachment 637827
View attachment 637828
View attachment 637830
View attachment 637831
View attachment 637832

You are a stingy brim master. Can’t wait to see what you’ll pull out for Stingymas (a celebration of stingy brims around Christmas time).

Are those your jump wings or did they come with the hat?

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
You are a stingy brim master. Can’t wait to see what you’ll pull out for Stingymas (a celebration of stingy brims around Christmas time).

Are those your jump wings or did they come with the hat?
Thank you, I guess you can say that it is Stingymas every day at my house.

That pin came with the hat. I left it on there as I rarely alter any of my vintage hats. I just wish I knew more of its backstory to shed some light on its history.

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
View attachment 637860 View attachment 637857
My compliments to your lady friend Tina !! The MG buttons really make the outfit POP
* Hope Tina is recovering well

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

That pin came with the hat. I left it on there as I rarely alter any of my vintage hats. I just wish I knew more of its backstory to shed some light on its history.

I agree, I would be interested to hear that history. It looks great on the hat, I also would not remove it. Wear it in good health, CR!

DonR

A-List Customer

Looks like a paratrooper pin

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing, I would love to learn more from any of our folks that are familiar with these pins.

They’re called “jump wings”. US Army, Navy and Marine Corp personnel who have completed jump school in Fort Moore, GA (formerly Fort Benning) are eligible to wear them, including airborne infantry (paratroopers), Army Rangers, Green Berets, Navy Seals, Navy EOD, Marine Recon, etc. I believe the Air Force also sends personnel to jump school at Moore but I’m not sure; however, each branch uses slightly different badges so if you see these, you can pretty much assume they belong to a soldier.

Jump wings were first issued in WWII.

I believe @rogueclimber is intimately familiar with jump wings.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the meanest thing about backs: they'll attack you for doing the most minor, inconsequential things. How can you be on guard for things like picking up clothes, or getting a soup mug down from a just-above-head-height shelf?

And yes, loathe as I am to do it, icing is our friend.

And YAY for no surgeries, Joe!!
A giant bag of frozen green beans was my companion for the last too weeks. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1