Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bowen,
I love this hat, a quintessential vintage western to me! What are the dimensions of the crown and brim?
Simeon
Hi Simeon.
Thanks
Quintessential is probably the best term for westerns dimensioned at 3”x6”. Big but not too big, tall but not too tall. I’ve got plenty of other other hats (we all do) that fill this and that niche but this one fills them all.
It’s what i call a “Me Hat”.
I’ll wear it anywhere, anytime with anything. That’s quintessential.
B

By the way….they call my State “Almost Heaven” but your PNW….that’s Heaven.

StoryPNW

One Too Many
Hi Simeon.
Thanks
Quintessential is probably the best term for westerns dimensioned at 3”x6”. Big but not too big, tall but not too tall. I’ve got plenty of other other hats (we all do) that fill this and that niche but this one fills them all.
It’s what i call a “Me Hat”.
I’ll wear it anywhere, anytime with anything. That’s quintessential.
B

By the way….they call my State “Almost Heaven” but your PNW….that’s Heaven.
You make a really good point about the "quintessential" dimensions. I still prefer a slightly more modest size than 3x6 for everyday wear, so maybe that is why this hat speaks to me.

Either way, beautiful hat!

I have not spent much time back east, but I would like to explore the mountains and the scenery there too, every area has its own beauty.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Was going to keep this one in my back pocket for a while, but since it's National Felt Hat Day I'll drop it like it's hot. Vita-Felt Playboy in black:
View attachment 546291 View attachment 546292
View attachment 546293
Trifecta of rare in hats J!!
Color, felt and form.
Image #2 is phenomenal.
The sheen we all seek to capture on our various long hairs, yet elude all but our own eyes, you’ve captured on a Vita-Felted Playboy!!
Looks like the gold at the end of the rainbow.
Actually it is!
B

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Trifecta of rare in hats J!!
Color, felt and form.
Image #2 is phenomenal.
The sheen we all seek to capture on our various long hairs, yet elude all but our own eyes, you’ve captured on a Vita-Felted Playboy!!
Looks like the gold at the end of the rainbow.
Actually it is!
B

Thanks, B! I was lucky enough to be able to capture that in the early morning light as the sun was coming up over the horizon. I actually waited about another 10-15 minutes after getting back from the bus stop. Here's what it looked like before the sun emerged:
20230915_075457.jpg
20230915_075501.jpg

Not quite the same effect.

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
StylePark TempleForm. A nice, super light blue/purple hue.
One of the first bunch of hats that I redid when I was hand stitching the decorative brim edge feature. Back then I thought one row was plenty. ;-)
Did some bow work using petersham, too.
These days, and especially recently, I have stock piled PLENTY of vintage finished edge ribbon in hard to find colors and widths to choose from.
Also have came into several variously shaped and sized vintage flanges including a hard to get block/flange pair in 7 5/8 Long Oval.

This StylePark got reflanged today on a deeper dished flange.
E9244521-BB15-48AA-859D-475C0DA437C8.jpeg
956B86A5-A45D-4EC6-8DBF-6567D078EA1C.jpeg
3877F99C-9E9C-4919-A210-52BF2DDF6938.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the first bunch of hats that I redid when I was hand stitching the decorative brim edge feature. Back then I thought one row was plenty. ;-)
These days, and especially recently, I have stock piled PLENTY of vintage finished edge ribbon in hard to find colors and widths to choose from.
Also have came into several variously shaped and sized vintage flanges including a hard to get block/flange pair in 7 5/8 Long Oval.

View attachment 546590 View attachment 546591 View attachment 546592
Fabulous

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Stetson, 4 inch brim, 7 inch open crown. Probably dates 40's to early 50's at latest. Just got it back today from cleaning and work done at Paris Hatters. The last photo is a "before" shot. It seems like 3X Beaver. Original sweatband was missing. I'm calling this hat a Carlsbad model, based on it's dimensions.

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_174245_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230916_174245_HDR.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230916_174259_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230916_174259_HDR.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230916_174329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230916_174329_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230805_152856_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_152856_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 546590 View attachment 546591 View attachment 546592
Beautiful!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tina & I went to the carnival at Ringwood yesterday, we met my tailor whilst there, he loves it that I always show off his work underneath one of my fedora hats. He's bemused that I use a milliner to hand make my hats. When I told him that a cordwainer makes my shoes he admitted that he didn't know that a shoemaker was a cordwainer.

Knowing that my tailor is a member of The Worshipful Company of Merchant Tailors of the City of London, I pointed out to him that The Company of Cordwainers is one of the seven ancient guilds which still exist in the 21st century. He was also impressed to learn that The British Hat Guild is the national association of professional milliners, hatters and headwear designers.

He texted me this photo that he took with his phone yesterday. Cell phone cameras really don't do justice to the subject so to show you what his photo should depict in the correct colour here is the shoes that my cordwainer made. The hat from my milliner. The blazer that is my tailor's superb work and not forgetting the trousers that Tina made.
002.JPG

Green & cream spectators 005.JPG Green hat and trousers 004.JPG
Sports Blazers 001.JPG
Green hat and trousers 003.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A day late but I had to post this for Eric. Yesterday I was in Keyport, New Jersey, and stopped in front of the mural of Fred Astaire and his sister. Yes, I'm still wearing my cheap Panama Hat (Equardorian made, Cuenca weave, with a cheesy 'stretch' sweat band), but it was only September 14!
View attachment 546351

Thanks. Go Mr.Astair. As to the panama I understand completely. Panamas that get worn the most in my neighborhood are not the most valuable or expensive. Most of the times a panama needs to be sun protection on a hot day. I worry about wearing the "good" panamas to an early death.

Dang that is a grand hat! Congrats and Happy felt day.

The Cross Country's are the light and of the easiest to wear hats, IMO. Congrats on a terriic example of the Dobbs model.

Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton