Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's quite a difference of opinion amongst members on the What's the best hat for different occasions thread, about wearing black fedoras. Interesting how divided members are. A black hat with matching or contrast clothes and shoes is a regular wear for me. If you have any views on black hats, have a look at the thread and leave your comment there.
black fedora 002.JPG

is it really ??

the one where you went to the dudes house?

nice!!

looks great man ... you did a really nice job

I made him come to my office building, met him in the lobby. I told my Admin, who can see the lobby, "If he pulls a gun, call 911." :p

He was a nice chap, but a bit clueless...

And thanks for the props.

What do you guys think of a hat restoration thread? The Conversion Corral is for westerns, but I've been thinking of a thread where we can share tips and tricks and show what we've done to rescue, restore, and refurbish.

The Hat Doctor sounds good for a title. I was thinking of The Workshop. Or given the whole naphtha thing, maybe Gasoline Alley?

I have three projects in the queue. I need to get to them...

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Esther – Perfectly Joaoesque brim and great ribbon work.

Serge - Super looking hat. Kudos to you and Esther.

Strapped – Love those Caxtons. Nice one.

Java – That Stylemaster looks great on you. I just got one and I’m not convinced, but on you it looks perfect.

Mmbarnes – Again with those awesome colors. Sharp.

Fruno – The PERFECT hat. Looks awesome.

GHT – Great hat. I’m for those black hats. Don’t understand why they aren’t more well liked.

RJR – Nice Strat Clone VS. Super colors.

Glad to be back with my early 60s Akubra “Debonair”.

Photo on 3-22-16 at 8.59 AM.jpg Photo on 3-22-16 at 8.59 AM #2.jpg

No "St. Regis", Jim. While I may be mistaken, I think it pre-dates Stetson's start of using that designation. Nice work on that OR! Sweet looking lid.

That's what I thought. I'm not sure when they started that, but I think I've seen Stetson Hommies with and without the designation - off and on. Deckard has brought it back, though.

Fruno – The PERFECT hat. Looks awesome.

Glad to be back with my early 60s Akubra “Debonair”.

And good to see you back, Adrian!

The "perfect" hat is the next one...

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
That's what I thought. I'm not sure when they started that, but I think I've seen Stetson Hommies with and without the designation - off and on. Deckard has brought it back, though.

Jim, here is an interesting post about the St. Regis and other designations, from a marketing perspective. Enjoy. Matt

Chinaski -- I do have some thoughts on this...

In the years following WWII, Stetson launched a large national marketing campaign whereby full-page ads were placed in prominent national magazines, featuring a particular style of lid. As time went on, many of these ads depicted scenes featuring two hats (with mention of a woman's hat thrown in for good measure). My own sense is that, in keeping with this marketing approach, Stetson hats had particular model names and these models were tied to a single quality designation. Putting Open Roads and Stratoliners to the side (which followed a hybrid approach -- something I've posted about in the OR Guild thread), I am unaware of any Stetson model (in the 1948 -- 1958 timeframe) that actually covered more than one quality designation. So, for example, a Playboy was priced at $10 and was designated a "Royal Stetson." Ditto for the Whippet, which was, by definition, a "Royal Stetson" lid. Hats like the "Stetsonian", the "Vogue", and the "St. Regis", on the other hand, were offered at the "Royal Stetson DeLuxe" level. I think that there was a certain purity to this approach from a marketing standpoint -- as the model name itself was tied to a particular price point identified in the national advertising. This made it easy for someone to walk into a retailer and ask for a hat by name -- knowing that, by definition, that particular model was also tied to a particular price.

Now, all of that being said, let's say I went into a retail store and asked for a Whippet. The salesman would show me the Whippet, but he might also try to up-sell me on a slightly nicer version, as well: "If you like that style, Mr. Lid, perhaps you might be interested in this Royal DeLuxe model that is a bit nicer and only costs an additional $2.50..." ;) The Royal DeLuxe would not have a model name, per se, but it would be styled the same as a Whippet, and would be sold at a slightly higher price point. Of course, this dynamic would be particularly true of efforts to interest someone in a significantly higher-end hat like a 3X Beaver or Sovereign -- and explains why, commonly, these quality designations are not tied to any particular model name.

So, to answer one of your questions, Chinaski -- the Stetsons with no model designation were certainly not an anomaly. There were plenty of these around in a variety of styles and at a variety of price points. My own sense is that Stetson's national advertising was used to introduce the public to particular styles associated with particular model names (and at particular price points). The utility of the "no-name" lids was to give flexibility to retailers at the point of sale.

I think that it is also true that, as time went on and Stetson started to drop certain model names, the same style of hat might continue to be made under the more generic designations, often at the same quality/price point as the original.

So -- these are simply my own thoughts on the subject, but they may serve to foster some further discussion. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe