Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.durand

One Too Many
Joao--the Stagecoach is one of my favorites of yours.

Premier Stratoliner for a damp morning.
IMG_4656_zps404eb25c.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Joao, g.durand, David, Very nice display of hats guys.

g.durand, I'd love to have a Strat but the prices for a nice vintage one is way out of my reach. The only thing I have that comes closest to owning a Strat is this OR style Royal Stetson. Not the same as having the real thing though....

RS_Thin_02.jpg

The_RS_jpg.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon on a cool 13'F Minnesota afternoon. Today I had some errands that found me wearing a vtg. Adams Executive (silver belly pacesetter model) as my hat of choice. I received several comments which included "excellent fedora" and "exquisite hat." I need to wear this hat more often.:eek:

i-q7GKLL8-M.jpg

I have been cleaning a couple of bowler hats today. I have watched with interest the bowler hats worn well by many on this forum and have been curious. Today I would like to introduce a vtg. 40'ish Stetson bowler that I have cleaned and prepared to wear about. I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the leather sweat and felt on these lids. I was expecting them to be hard hats of an early make...not so. They are malleable, but truly maintain a bowler shape. The bowler pictured fits comfortably as the shape and leather sweatband are flexible. This is different from my expectations. Now am I ready to wear the bowler into my world? That is not a 100% positive a yes. I wear a fedora without any anxiety, but this one is different. I will work it into this weeks hat wearing and see how it fairs. Check out a few quick pics below.

i-czMcc2N-M.jpg

i-TR2Z2zS-S.jpg
i-jqtVN93-S.jpg

Best, Eric -

g.durand

One Too Many
g.durand, I'd love to have a Strat but the prices for a nice vintage one is way out of my reach. The only thing I have that comes closest to owning a Strat is this OR style Royal Stetson. Not the same as having the real thing though....

Terry--that Strat is one of the new line issued by Hatco. Although it's branded "Stetson", I consider it a reproduction of sorts.
I'm sure if you keep looking a vintage one will turn up. I was able to pick up a couple of deals on Etsy from sellers who didn't know what they had, like a Playboy for $85. But the OR style is so similar to a Stratoliner, not many would know the difference. Yours looks great.

David--nice Playboy, nice color on that one.
Eric--I can see why you get the compliments on the Adam. I like the bowler look for you, too.
Harv--good look with the NW, What's the felt color?

Wearing the Bluegrass Green Camp Draft this morning.
FullSizeRender9_zpsc6feb8c5.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry--that Strat is one of the new line issued by Hatco. Although it's branded "Stetson", I consider it a reproduction of sorts.
I'm sure if you keep looking a vintage one will turn up. I was able to pick up a couple of deals on Etsy from sellers who didn't know what they had, like a Playboy for $85. But the OR style is so similar to a Stratoliner, not many would know the difference. Yours looks great.
I'm assuming that you bought the new Open Crown Premier Strat? I heard a few Loungers comment that the felt is pretty nice on those. What's your opinion of the hat?

g.durand

One Too Many
It varies. The Mink color hat that I posted yesterday is fairly nice and hand-creased easily out of the box. The felt is a thicker and not as pliable as vintage or even the Winchester dress weight felt that most of the custom hatters use. The sweatband is soft and pliable. The ribbon is not tacked very well. I ordered a second one in the Caribou color and it came with an extremely stiff crown. It felt really thick and would not shape without steam, and even then it didn't take a sharp crease. Hatco's quality control is lacking. I would say overall it's OK for a modern production hat, a cut above the rest, but it still doesn't match vintage quality. I would say overall Akubras are better-made hats, and vintage hats are still light years ahead of the production "Stetsons".

TJones this hat is AWESOME looking!

The only somebody who would see you wearing it and not know it wasn't a Stratoliner (aside from the billions of people in the world who have absolutely no idea what a Stratoliner is anyway) would be somebody you told it wasn't.

Great hats today too, the rest of you guys.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to everyone who commented on my Playboy from earlier today. These are very nice lightweight hats so grab one if you get the chance.

Outstanding hats here this Sunday.

TJ - Really nice RS Open Road style. Personally, I like the Stratoliners, but I prefer the OR style most of the time.

Eric - I love the Adam and the Stetson Derby is a super hat. I love the look with the wider than usual ribbon. Very cool.

Harv - the NW is a classic

g.d - can't go wrong with a BG Campdraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82