Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
And I stuck with my 20 all day. I tried to get a pic of my dog, but she wouldn't cooperate.

69723EBB-84A5-4151-980A-D1F93FB5D0A1-1743-000001A6C45AE093.jpg

0F61CA5F-2B87-4AEA-AC01-2825614AE10A-1743-000001AAD80107DC.jpg

scooter

Practically Family
Wearing my Pilgrim Featherlite Aqua-pruf and just back from watching my beloved Packers lose a heartbreaker to San Fran. The refs sucked to high heaven, but to be fair, the Pack did not play as well as the 49'ers. Don't be fooled by the smile, inside my heart is breaking! LOL

20120909_170727.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
Looking good gents!
@JLee I like that stingy. Is there a hat you cannot wear?
@Alive'n'Amplified: Nice 20! Looks comfortable. Shame the dog is camera shy!
@scooter: I saw the game...huge bummer. Nice hat! You wear it well, in happiness and heartbreak.

scooter

Practically Family
Nice, Tom, very nice!

SBG, killer whippet, I have one very similar.

Jared, I'm not much of a stingy guy, but you rock that look!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Notes On Our Summer Travels Across Longitude And Time Zones (Part 4)

Morning rush hour traffic along Zhongxiao East Road, August 9th.

After struggling for several days with jet-lag, Ryan and Lydia are finally up to speed and we head further afield. Walking to the Taipei Metro. OPTIMO Montecristi.

Scanning my MRT Easy Card.

Chinese actress Liu Xiaoqing. Alas, we would return to the U.S. just prior to opening night of her play.

Heavy-capacity train arriving at the station. Taipei's MRT is among the cleanest and most civil mass transit systems we have encountered.

The heavy-capacity trains are built by Siemens A.G. of Germany. Ryan and his OPTIMO Montecristi. Center creased Classic Fedora.

Up and out.

Passing by the rear of the Presidential Office Building

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Patriotic relief mural on the side of a military building.

The Republic Of China Armed Forces Museum. Fascinating museum documenting the birth and history of the Republic Of China and her armed forces.

Traditional carved stone lions guarding the entrance. Male lion with its right paw upon the world, in the background.

Military Police caps from the 45th year of the Republic Of China(1956), left, and 1968.

Footlocker from the Second Sino-Japanese War. Well worn fedora full of character, among its contents.

Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek's cape and visor cap, ca. 1940s, as worn during the Sino-Japanese conflict.

Tactical planning at Kuomintang field headquarters.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

T65K2 assault rifle. The museum is an overlooked gem, and the interactive exhibits were a real joy. We shared the museum with only the affable military staff and a few school-children on a field trip.

There is an astonishing array of small eateries everywhere you walk in Taipei. This steamed-bun shop caught our eye...

...and so we stopped for a quick bite.

The large billboard advertising "Egg Custard Factory" was difficult to ignore...

...and downright irresistible when we saw the custard being poured...

...and caught the aroma wafting from the oven.

Gone within a block.

We explore the Ximen district on foot, at a leisurely pace.

The allure of back alley lighting is hard to resist for a few photos.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Taipei is a mecca for the Otaku, with countless small shops catering to their obsession. Expensive model kits can be purchased for a fraction of their retail prices in these tiny stalls packed to the rafters.

Ximending is known for its shopping and the merchandise spill out from the stores to completely envelop the sidewalks.

The pedestrian malls of Ximending are a vibrant and dynamic gathering place for young people.

Stingy straws and fabric caps were popular this Summer in Taipei.

We leave Ximending before being overrun by the massive crowds, which begin to gather around noon. Most businesses and many restaurants do not begin their day until late morning, but stay open until very late into the evening, catering to the throngs who enjoy the night-life every day of the week.

The MRT station at Ximending has a gathering point for friends to meet up before hitting the shops and restaurants.

We take the MRT to the SOGO(Fuxing) Department Store in the early afternoon, and are immediately drawn to the excellent food court conveniently connected directly to the MRT station. Oyster omelette, a traditional Taiwanese staple, and one of our favorites.

We work on our oyster omelettes while waiting for a table at Din Tai Fung, one of the New York Times World's Top 10 Restaurants in 1993. Michelin star-rated, as well.

A tireless platoon of workers wrapping their famous Xiaolongbao.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Wonderful, cheerful service, and attention to detail: Elusive in many metropolises but experienced everywhere we went in Taiwan. The super efficient and friendly waitresses bring a little hamper tableside for patrons to deposit their purses and other items, then place a cloth over it to protect the contents from accidental food splatter.

Proper hat etiquette aside, I decided it was safer to keep my hat on my noggin.

Ah, our order arrives from the kitchen.

A new offering: Truffle Xiaolongbao.

Ryan examining his xialongbao.

Exquisite little morsels.

At roughly $3USD apiece, an expensive menu item, but a real bargain.

Incredibly, each xialongbao is filled with several slices of real, White Truffle, and not just truffle oil. Indescribably delicious!

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

As the rain came down in the early evening rush hour, we changed into more formal attire(but same hat), and head for supper. Waiting to a hail a cab.

Lights of Xinyi Road reflected in the evening rain.

We are about to eat yet again! Rong Rong Yuan, probably the best restaurant in Taipei serving Zhejiang and Jiangsu cuisine. One of our favorites in Taipei, and frequented by many of the Kuomintang old guard.

Last edited:

Flick

Practically Family
Al, I just wanted to thank you for the incredibly informative photo essay you are developing within this thread. Your pictures are excellent. And the food pics are, shall I say it...delectable...

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe