Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping the stitich from waving I didn't find so difficult, but then I worked the machine by hand-moving the wheel, stitch by stitch. I'm not really sure but I think that the sewing machines for the brims aren't that special. I'd rather love to find a sweatband sewing machine, just like the one that I missed at the German 'Bay a couple of days ago...

Was the sweatband sewing machine for non-reeded?

Thanks, Steve! I did not get the opportunity to comment on your wonderful Goldsiegal Velour from the other day when you first posted it, but if you will allow a belated comment: Breathtaking! :eek:

I am continually amazed by the quality and variety of Austro-Germanic lids you have been able to acquire, and can only admire them in your photos, for it will be a long while before I can hope to find similar examples in my size. :(

Thanks! RLK (Robert) has a bunch of them too. Also Dreispitz and Mario have some really fine examples.

Last edited:
Harry and I went out for a walk on his 11th birthday... he still moves pretty good for an old dog, but he has a hard time with the shutter on his digital camera. He likes my Resistol "Golden Beaver 50."

032011_1.jpg

032011_2.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back from Texas! I had a lot of fun, and finally got some experience with vintage felt. Somehow managed not to buy a hat, but at least I got to see a LOT of great ones :D.

For those not in the know, this is my best hat (admittedly, I have two...), a Buckaroo Hatters Lightweight C-crown. Color is Silverbelly or Bone, I'm not sure which, with contrasting mid-grey ribbon.

BackHomeAgain.jpg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Penney's Marathon. As I found the crown a bit too low in proportion to the brim I trimmed it (the brim, not the crown...) a few month ago and replaced the original ribbon (which matched the tan color of the felt) with a brown one. Today - for the first time ever - I stitched a new brown 3/8" binding to the brim (ok, a few days ago I practiced a little with an old beater before I had a go at the Penney's).

Here's what it looks like with the new binding:

penney's_marathon_tan_03_18_11.jpg
Some really nice hats while I was in Texas, But I have to say mario I really like this one.
Well done!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Big_e: Nice cap. Wish the grass here were as green as it is down your way.

hatophile: Looks great brim down or up, but I prefer down on this lid as it allows the beautiful contrasting ribbon to be viewed in its full glory!

Steve: Wonderful Tropp. Felt looks super smooth. A very nice gray.

Alan: Perfect choice for walking Harry on a sunny Sunday. Looks like the snow cover is completely gone.

Neo: Glad you are back. Surprised you did not come away with at least one vintage lid! Look forward to a detailed report. Looking great in your 'Best' hat.

The Good: Looking good...and dry.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
With the snow pack nearly gone now in Minnesota we are eagerly anticipating a beautiful Spring in the outdoors, but this past weekend it was out-and-about town, in the Twin Cities.

Rushed to Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis after work on Friday for the Minnesota Orchestra concert. Mallory Twelve-Fifty, 'Snow'.

Headed over to historic Northeast Minneapolis for an after concert meal at Nye's Polonaise Room. No-smoking environment was hat friendly. My lid perched atop my violin case safely while we enjoyed the music and food.

Nye's is a real throwback to the '40s and '50s, complete with piano bar and live polka band. Nostalgia permeates the place. Lydia had a blast belting out a couple of tunes at the piano bar while our son Ryan and I took it all in.

Hanging out at my good friend and luthier John Waddle's violin shop on Saturday. Cello scroll on left. John takes care of my beloved fiddle. There is something timeless about old violins and vintage hats.

View of the Landmark Center, built in 1902, from the Ordway Center For The Performing Arts in St. Paul. Saturday night concert of the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra.

Dapper gent in fedora, and his companion arriving for the concert. We were in the midst of the pre-concert discussion but I was momentarily distracted by the fedora looking out the panoramic windows.

Snuck outside for a few photos in the rapidly fading light just before the concert. Dobbs 20, Navy Blue.

Note the man in the background, in tophat!

Settling into our seats for the performance.

The man in the tophat. After the wonderful concert, a photo with Tom, one of the traditional doormen of the Ordway, resplendent in tophat and cloak.

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Sunday at the Winter Park Arts Festival
3a0a0a8f.jpg

Check out this booth...
a9a9f83e.jpg

796b0a32.jpg

e8716d61.jpg

He really had some interesting entires in the "Woven Fiber" catagory

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Awesome pics Delectans!
Here are some from Saturday at Disney parks-
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

e88712ec.jpg

A little park hopping there. Lets see : first construction wall for Fantacyland expansion. Second Bridge to Tomorrowland, Third a quick monorail to EPCOT for a ride on Spaceship Earth the Jeremy Irons version is much better.

Jeff

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
A little park hopping there. Lets see : first construction wall for Fantacyland expansion. Second Bridge to Tomorrowland, Third a quick monorail to EPCOT for a ride on Spaceship Earth the Jeremy Irons version is much better.

Jeff
Wow - nice detective work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe