Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_e

Practically Family
rlk said:
4913894024_4eb322b576_z.jpg

I love that cap, rlk.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Ernest

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Keeping cool in MA.

Posted this in "Hawaiian shirts and Fedoras" but wanted to make my first post in the "What are you wearing..."

CCAJ821.jpg

Cheers!

C-C

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Well, I'm just echoing the general concensus I've seen reading through the long Akubra Campdraft thread, from start to finish, and it seems many think of Akubra's Silverbelly as...I guess I'd call it faux-Silverbelly.

Whereas good Silverbelly's, like Depp's and Art's, seem to be white/silver/VERY light gray, the Akubra Silverbelly is really more of a sand color (though it still shows up pretty much white in sunlight).

I guess I used a bad choice of words. I should have called it a variation of Silverbelly, rather than claiming it to not be silverbelly.

There's received knowledge and there's knowledge acquired through experience. I've actually owned a couple of 50's-vintage silverbelly Open Road-style hats (one a very high-quality small label custom Open Road clone and one an actual Stetson Open Road) and neither looked like exactly the same color, but they both were indeed silverbelly. Same goes for the Campdraft. Silverbelly's one of those colors that's hard to capture in photographs, looking radically different under different lighting conditions.

Here's Johnny Depp's silverbelly hat that looks white/silver/light grey in other photos. 'Nuff said.

95777288.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neophyte said:
I guess I used a bad choice of words. I should have called it a variation of Silverbelly, rather than claiming it to not be silverbelly.

My apologies, and this does not change the fact that your hat is AWESOME!

I repeat my earlier statement. You are correct sir :cheers1: !

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Michaelshane said:
Silverbelly is undyed natural beaver.It can be several different shades,depending on the beaver.

Look at the hats in my avatar.All silverbellys.

Now that's real knowledge talking. Thanks, Michaelshane.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HATCO HOMECOMING 2011--New Hat!

Today my wife and I finished up checking the area for the location for HATCO Homecoming 2011. That info is posted on the EVENTS section, complete with the hotel URL. While checking the mileage to the factory, I stopped at the Outlet and took her in. I was treated to a new Stetson straw Whippet by my wonderful wife! Here it is:

StetsonWhippetstraw003.jpg

Don't forget to check EVENTS!!!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mr P., that looks like a good one for summer! And classy it is!
MShane, great pic.
Mr. Etrain, like that hat with that shirt with those specs...
RLK, not a bad hat (nor cap ;) ) !

Well done all!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Today I wore a (non-vintage) milan Dobbs. Formerly a porkpie, I converted it to a diamond crown. Not because I didn't like the crease - what I did not like were its dimensions, too low (this is what happens when one gets used to Golden Age classic dimensions... ;) ).

DSC00282b.jpg

With it, I topped a 60s-vibe ensemble. The stingy hat goes well with thin lapels and narrow tie.

DSC00289b.jpg

This is a "on location" pic. Today the summer festival is beginning in my district. There are thematic décors in the streets - in this particular case, videogames. SuperMario is in the background! :D

P1010442b.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Cool Campdraft Mr E Train!
CC, that is a nice looking straw.
Wade, that Whippet is perfect on you, the Stetson tag is removable. I stuck mine on my monitor. :D
Torp, I always love your photos, the ones of the festival from last year were fun.

Today I have on my Dobbs milan, with a pug I recieved from Buckaroo Hatters.

007zv.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
Silverbelly is undyed natural beaver.It can be several different shades,depending on the beaver.

Look at the hats in my avatar.All silverbellys.
While this is true of the finest examples, since it is the most expensive and deasireable fur, selected from a strip on the underside of the beaver, it rarely is actually the case. It is mostly a color name like Vicuña for Overcoats or Cordovan Shoes. Even Clear Natural Beaver is not necessarily true Silverbelly.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
While this is true of the finest examples, since it is the most expensive and deasireable fur, selected from a strip on the underside of the beaver, it rarely is actually the case. It is mostly a color name like Vicuña for Overcoats or Cordovan Shoes. Even Clear Natural Beaver is not necessarily true Silverbelly.

I agree with Michael earlier that silverbelly should be undyed beaver. I also agree with RLK's follow up. Put them together and you have the picture. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken