Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I had this Stetson Playboy marked to watch - happened to come back and check the auction about 10 min. before it ended - and threw in a bid, expecting it to climb past my lowball bid easily in the last couple of minutes.

I was the only bidder. Was everyone else having lunch? I expected to have someone from the Lounge outbid me..but there were no other bids at all. I don't even know how wide the brim is, or how tall the crown....there was no time left to ask.

NOS Stetson Playboy

This may lead to an interesting financial discussion with my lovely wife.:eek:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's gonna be one nice hat, I'm betting.
Too small for me.

But I guess folks have left for 4th of July vacations.
Also it was a steep starting price- that scares some
folks off. eBay psychology.

I was STUNNED at that hat (i watch all these auctions). Too big for me. I'm still stunned.

Wow.

Though i must say, the hats i've been bidding on recently i've got lucky on my cheapskate bids. Size 7 whippet for 21.50? I'll take that! 30s Borsalino for 8.50. Yes, sir, i'll take that too.

Nice score on the playboy. They're great hats.

bk

Razzman

One Too Many
Nice score. I think traditionally most ebayers have a yard sale mentality so to speak. People are looking for bargains. My thought is that at the $49.95 starting bid price most bidders shyed away. You lucked out by thowing a bid on it. If that hat started at $9.95 it most likely would have ended up selling at twice what you paid for it. Just my opinion.:)

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Saw Your Moniker

Congratulations on a great catch, Pilgrim! :eusa_clap

I had that one on my watch list, and when it had a few minutes to go and no other bids, I wasn't going to inflate it. I'm no angel when it comes to sniping, but I only buy my size, and I think most of us know the majority of the FL regulars' eBay ID's (what happened to the thread a few months ago where everyone was posting their eBay monikers???).

If I recognize a lounger's handle on something at or near what I would max at, I would rather back off and return to fight another day! Someday, I may say that there aren't plenty of lids still out there, but I'm a hopeles optimist; I still think there are bargains to be had on eBay...at least for now.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Cheap lids?

They are not all cheap right now. A gray Stratoliner went for $150.00 on Ebay this past week which I feel is the absolute upper limit for a Strat.

jeboat:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
jeboat said:
They are not all cheap right now. A gray Stratoliner went for $150.00 on Ebay this past week which I feel is the absolute upper limit for a Strat.

I hear ya. I lowered the prices on the Strats I have on my site.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
jeboat said:

the record so far is $530 for a Stratoliner last year.

I saw that playboy but the brim is too narrow for me, besides I had just bought the other 2. It is indeed one of the early ones as it does have the sticker on the inside. The felt on the Playboys is very soft and lightweight, you are gonna love that hat.

fedoralover

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Yes, I was watching that same Strat out of curiosity as to what it would sell for. I was quite surprised to see it hit $150...and that made me much more surprised when the Playboy didn't collect any other bids.

2" is about the minimum for a brim I like to wear, so when it gets here I'll try it out and evaluate. If I decide to re-sell, I should easily be able to make my money back, including shipping. However, I really like the tan Strat I got recently so, I'll see if the Playboy flips my switch.

I have a grey Beaver major (3X or 4X, don't remember which - the imprint is worn off) with a 2" brim that I've had for 15 years and which is an old friend, but I suspect the Playboy is a better hat.

If everyone's out traveling for the 4th, this may be a good weekend to go hat-hunting, friends.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe