Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
well, I'm seeing some folks being bitter and cynical( read that, depressed) during this Holiday season( btw, does this happen every year about this time or every holiday?) and have chosen to pick on consumerism, but is that the real reason? I think not. If we're going to rail against bad people, then why not child molesters and murderers, etc? Not to mention, are we so pure that we can judge other folks?

I've said before, afa the economy, consumerism is the best thing for it, as it provides jobs for alot of folks( alot more in the USA, if folks bought more stuff made in the USA). Do we not want folks to have jobs? Consumer spending stimulates the stock market and encourages world trade, which strengthens ties with world allies and provides a brisk trade and jobs all around and general stimulation. Who doesn't want that?

What kind of world would we have if everyone only bought necessities? Who would want that kind of world? No one could ever buy a gift for anyone else? Who here would dictate the gift or how much one can spend or what they can buy? How sad. Baah, humbug!

Nope, the only thing I'd ask is that everyone shop and shop, but please, buy American. Now there's something to complain about.

"Economic materialism" in a philosophical and ethics context is not the same thing as "demand" in an economics context. Read the text in the hyperlink.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
well, I'm seeing some folks being bitter and cynical( read that, depressed) during this Holiday season( btw, does this happen every year about this time or every holiday?) and have chosen to pick on consumerism, but is that the real reason? I think not. If we're going to rail against bad people, then why not child molesters and murderers, etc? Not to mention, are we so pure that we can judge other folks?

The idea that taking a stand against consumerist behavior and consumerism (and I think it is more the behavior than the people we're bothered by, or at least I am) and more importantly taking a stand against those powers that manipulate this behavior isn't being cynical and depressed. What you consider cynical attitudes and depressed behavior is simply some of us following our own moral compass.

Comparing murder to consumption of physical goods is your comparison, not ours. And I'm pretty sure everybody here hates child molesters. I don't think we need a thread exposing and discussing that view. Because every decent person on the planet hates child molestation.

Finally, I think the idea that you can't be critical of a trend or a behavior because you're a "sinner" or "not so pure" is ridiculous. If you can't be critical of a trend because you're marred in some way, that would suggest that no one could take a stand on anything. If you believe we should be down on murders and child molesters (judgement), we simply couldn't because one day we went out and took too much food at a buffet or hoarded too many twinkies or bought a flatscreen TV, etc. (not so pure intentions and behaviors).

14 times?! Why?!
Squeal like pig! :eeek:

I likes to see them big screen tv consumerin city boys git their come-uppances.
That and I got it fer cheap at the walmart on the black friday sale and wanted to git my moneys worth;)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Comparing murder to consumption of physical goods is your comparison, not ours...

On the other hand, though, if one was so inclined one could say that a murderer merely kills the body. A socioeconomic system that values human beings merely as units of fuel for the roaring engine of commerce is bound to, ultimately, kill the soul.

One could say that. If one was so inclined.

On the other hand, though, if one was so inclined one could say that a murderer merely kills the body. A socioeconomic system that values human beings merely as units of fuel for the roaring engine of commerce is bound to, ultimately, kill the soul.

You just did ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

That gets back to the powers that be, in my opinion. Those in power that choose to manufacture their goods overseas in unsafe and disgusting work conditions where individuals have no rights are no better than slave holders. They just don't actually see their slaves or beat them with their own hands.

Everyday people who wring their hands but go out and buy all this stuff knowing full well what is happening are just accomplices and apologists for their behavior.

I think the everyday people fare a bit better in my judgement. But not much better than those who supported slavery in principle in the U.S. and other countries but didn't own slaves themselves.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the everyday people fare a bit better in my judgement. But not much better than those who supported slavery in principle in the U.S. and other countries but didn't own slaves themselves.

It makes me wonder. How many apologists for this sort of thing could stand, in person, on an overcrowded factory floor in Bangladesh and actually give the order to lock the fire doors?

Ya'll do realize that when the US was developing, we were no better? People overseas bought US-made goods and we were killing people too.
Just sayin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe