Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

FF, the Sinatra Select is supposed to be a "collectible" & comes in a special box & bottle, with a book on Sinatra. But what the hell said my friend, so he & I drank a couple of 3-finger pours each; the first pour neat & added just a few ice chips to pour #2.

The first thing that I noticed is that it's 90 proof & smooth like JD was in the old days & not the 80 proof JD of today. It's a blend & I'm sure I could taste Old No. 7 but what was dominant among all else was a caramel/toffee/oak flavor. It also had a bit of smokey flavor from the charred oak cask.

Nice overall & I'm glad I got to add it to my "resume" but I won't buy it for myself at that price point. I want to try the JD 100th Anniversary so maybe it comes next. I'm going on the Bourbon Trail Train Tour as a gift for Father's Day coming up, so possibly 100th Anny will be sampled or on sale then. Or maybe JD Single Barrel.

Outstanding review - thank you. Glad you got to try it.

Granite City's The Duke American Pale Ale.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

I'm going on the Bourbon Trail Train Tour as a gift for Father's Day coming up, so possibly 100th Anny will be sampled or on sale then. Or maybe JD Single Barrel.

Enjoyed the review, Jack. I've never sampled a JD product that didn't have a reflection of Old No 7 in it. I've wondered if some of that smokiness comes from the maple charcoal filtering they do. The Bourbon tour sounds like a great idea but finding a TN whiskey on it might be blasphemous.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the review, Jack. I've never sampled a JD product that didn't have a reflection of Old No 7 in it. I've wondered if some of that smokiness comes from the maple charcoal filtering they do. The Bourbon tour sounds like a great idea but finding a TN whiskey on it might bee blasphemous.
With the Sinatra Select they use new oak casks that have been groved on the inside to increase the surface area of the oak before the surface is scorched. That is supposed to contribute to the smokiness imparted to the whiskey.

The train runs to Jim Beam @ Bardstown, KY then on to TN. There will be Master Distillers from both as well as Makers Mark & others with samples onboard.

Time to fess up: I have discovered Kirkland brand (Costco) and I really like it. $11 for a 4 bottle box for a CA Cabernet. We are travelling in out motor home and many small towns do no recycle and we end up carrying empty wine bottles across the west.....box wine solves the problem.

Is it just me or does any beer you have right after mowing the "best beer ever"? Spent three hours brush-hogging in 91-degree heat on a tractor that was on the verge of over heating. Now this Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is the "best beer ever"...

Summer-Shandy_0.png

Funny, we had this exact drink last night and were pleasantly surprised. The citrus note was sour not sweet and didn't overwhelm the beer or turn it into a sweet drink. We were pleasantly surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82