Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *Could* You Do Without?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Ouch! Yes, the blue mascara. And if we're admitting here, I had a gold sparkly think going on at one time, henna'd hair that went wrong and I was bright orange for 6 months, the ubiquitous perm that goes frizzy, skirts that didn't merit the name (with the resultant purple legs), and I even dabbled in trying to look like a biker - without the bike. Yikes! lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
Poor Root...so innocent :rolleyes: :D Those pictures are actually pretty mild compared to the 'muffin tops' I've seen ! Mostly it seems to be teenagers..I still don't get why they think they look attractive like that?[huh]

Okay, yes, those pictures are VERY mild compared to some of the "muffin tops" I've been witness to. Once in a bar, we met a muffin top bearer so atrocious that we had to document it with photos just so we'd believe it once we all sobered up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/15cj628.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/15cj6s6.jpg

I'm posting a link to that, and not the actual photo, because I want to give everyone the opportunity to avert their eyes. If you click, you do so at your own risk and of your own free will. Don't say I didn't warn you.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol this is bringing back memories...I used to use (I think it's the name) sun in..the stuff you sprayed in your hair, lay out in the sun, and it bleaches it.
my teenage hair disaster was being talked into by my friends to dye it black. I swear, I looked like Elvira, was NOT a good look for me. My mom was furious and had to get the dye stripped out. The good part was, the stylist got my hair a really cool red color that everybody liked

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
No, no, Wildroot ... I wasn't referring to your locomotive sound at all. You wrote "whooooo whooooooo". I was talking about the ubiquitous (and iniquitous) "woo hoo". Nothing to do with your post, amigo mio. :)

"Whoooo whooooo" is a nice sound that evokes trains. "Woohoo" is a fatuous sound that evokes, er, fatuousness.

Nah, I know, I was just playing... I know you weren't referring to my whistle sound.;) It's all good brother!

mysterygal said:
Poor Root...so innocent :rolleyes: :D Those pictures are actually pretty mild compared to the 'muffin tops' I've seen ! Mostly it seems to be teenagers..I still don't get why they think they look attractive like that?[huh]

Innocent? HAHAHaH I wish! You didn't read my reply to that I gather... I live in Southern California, the Birth Place of said "Muffin Tops"... yeah, I just didn't know that's what they are known as... makes sense.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Innocent? HAHAHaH I wish! You didn't read my reply to that I gather... I live in Southern California, the Birth Place of said "Muffin Tops"... yeah, I just didn't know that's what they were known as... makes sense.
yep, realized I jumped the gun a little there!....actually,I would have gotten my answer, if I did take a look where you are from !

Caledonia

Practically Family
Yes, Sun In. I think you can still get it, and so that we're vaguely on topic - WE COULD DO WITHOUT IT! :D

I could also do without cold calling from call centres. Just fielded a call :mad: What happened to the good old brush salesman of yore, or the rag and bone man? Was that a US phenomena too? Man with horse and cart driving along the street shouting for your junk? At least they had character, and didn't hang up in your face because they obviously weren't making a sale. And the horse left you a pile of lovely muck for the garden when passing! lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Which brings us back to ... WWII reenactors, like that so-called MP accompanying the muffin top. There aren't enough MREs in the Army to support his gut.

Hey, that guy's a friend of mine. He's also in his 40s, which is why he does a rear area MP impression instead of a ground pounder.

Not everyone in WWII was a 28 waist. OT but this past weekend I saw a size 44 WWI tunic. THAT was interesting.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Caledonia said:
Man with horse and cart driving along the street shouting for your junk? At least they had character ...
I thought so too, until I saw real ones in Chilean urban neighborhoods. The junkmen beat their horses on the head with two-by-fours. I actually saw one of those horses collapse and die in street, done in by beatings, overwork, and the summer heat.

One of the early auto industry's main arguments for their product was that it would stop the abuse of horses and rid the streets of their urine and feces.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
fortworthgal said:
Hey, that guy's a friend of mine. He's also in his 40s, which is why he does a rear area MP impression instead of a ground pounder.

Not everyone in WWII was a 28 waist.
Well, then, perhaps we should go more easy on the ladies sporting muffin tops. A lesson in tolerance has been learned today, or something ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Well, then, perhaps we should go more easy on the ladies sporting muffin tops. A lesson in tolerance has been learned today, or something ;)

Hmm... methinks there is a difference here.

There is an inherent difference in someone wearing a uniform that fits them and someone who chooses to purchase a pair of pants 2-3 sizes too small - and then goes out in public with unsightly flesh spilling out the top. Now, a 400 lb reenactor, a 60 year old guy reenacting an infantry Private, or one with massive meatchop sideburns - I'll give you that. But a relatively "average" guy - nah. There were plenty of those in the war. Now, when I see a reenactor with a muffin top, that's when I leave the hobby.

Or something. :)

Haversack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier wrote in regard to 'muffintops':

"Which brings us back to ... WWII reenactors, like that so-called MP accompanying the muffin top. There aren't enough MREs in the Army to support that gut."

Well, there were 'well-padded' individuals in the army back then. I've got a collection of cartoons from The Stars and Stripes from 1940-1982. In it, there is a Sad Sack strip in which Our Hero notices all of these sargeants with large guts hanging over their belts. The bigger the gut, the more stripes and rockers it seems. So he stuffs a pillow under his shirt and goes to the CO and points at his gut and at his bare sleeve. The final panel shows him and is pillow being thrown out of the CO's office. Now granted, George Baker's drawing style exaggerated in ways that Bill Mauldin did not. Still, there had to be some basis in truth for it to be funny.

Also, the US Army didn't really get into weight control until the early 1980s. I can recall some very good 1st Sargeants around then who had a lot of gravitas.

Haversack

Caledonia

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I thought so too, until I saw real ones in Chilean urban neighborhoods. The junkmen beat their horses on the head with two-by-fours. I actually saw one of those horses collapse and die in street, done in by beatings, overwork, and the summer heat.

One of the early auto industry's main arguments for their product was that it would stop the abuse of horses and rid the streets of their urine and feces.

There's a dark side to everything. :(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Haversack said:
Marc Chevalier wrote in regard to 'muffintops':

"Which brings us back to ... WWII reenactors, like that so-called MP accompanying the muffin top. There aren't enough MREs in the Army to support that gut."

Well, there were 'well-padded' individuals in the army back then. I've got a collection of cartoons from The Stars and Stripes from 1940-1982. In it, there is a Sad Sack strip in which Our Hero notices all of these sargeants with large guts hanging over their belts. The bigger the gut, the more stripes and rockers it seems. So he stuffs a pillow under his shirt and goes to the CO and points at his gut and at his bare sleeve. The final panel shows him and is pillow being thrown out of the CO's office. Now granted, George Baker's drawing style exaggerated in ways that Bill Mauldin did not. Still, there had to be some basis in truth for it to be funny.

Also, the US Army didn't really get into weight control until the early 1980s. I can recall some very good 1st Sargeants around then who had a lot of gravitas.

Haversack

Oh, I've got plenty of photos to back up the fact that larger fellas (and ladies as well!) did serve in WWII. Now, they probably weren't serving as infantry privates, or ball turret gunners, or tank crews, but they were there.

Wild Root

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
yep, realized I jumped the gun a little there!....actually,I would have gotten my answer, if I did take a look where you are from !

Ah, it's quite ok, I've jumped the gun (and many guns) many a time!;) I wish I could forget the fact that 70% of girls today around my town and other cities dress like "Working girls"... I weep for my generation!

=WR=

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Caledonia said:
Yes, Sun In. I think you can still get it, and so that we're vaguely on topic - WE COULD DO WITHOUT IT! :D

:eek:fftopic: I love Sun In. Fast, easy, hard to mess up. But it only works if your hair is already at least a dark blond. Looked great on my blondish-brownish hair, pumped it up a couple shades of gold. My truly brunette cousin, on the other hand, ended up with an unfortunate shade of orange-ish, and not in the Nicole Kidman way.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
:eek:fftopic: I love Sun In. Fast, easy, hard to mess up. But it only works if your hair is already at least a dark blond. Looked great on my blondish-brownish hair, pumped it up a couple shades of gold. My truly brunette cousin, on the other hand, ended up with an unfortunate shade of orange-ish, and not in the Nicole Kidman way.

I ended up spending an entire summer as a brassy blonde - my hair is naturally a medium auburn brown - thanks to the wonders of Sun-In.

Do they still make that stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe