Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

in/y

One of the Regulars
Dead Last: The Public Memory of Warren G. Harding's Scandalous Past by Phillip Payne.

The book looks at the things that are taken as "fact" today and looks at the where these ideas came from and what is known from the actual historical records.

Often there are conflicting "facts".

Was Harding part negro or was he a supporter of the klan or neither?

Did Harding have a "love child" with a younger woman or was he sterile?

The author does not answer such questions unequivocally as there is often no clear cut answer.

Interesting read though occasionally a bit dry.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
PEYTON PLACE.
So, I'm going to start this one tonight.. you have no idea how hard was it to dig this one out from our library.. :)
Is it ANY good?!
I do hope it is so...

Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but fickle....

Grace Metalious' literary debut is dated and tame-compared to today's pulp fare-
of course, but Peyton Place does have its moments.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"Dostoevsky, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Kafka" by William Hubben

John,
Have Simone's The Need For Roots opened to its first part,
"The Needs of the Soul;" which, for some reason or other harkens back
Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor on the Nature of Man theme from TBK....
Roots, like Newman's Apologia a bit of a slog--a bourbon and
some Frog methinks necessary for the long haul. :frog:

plain old dave

A-List Customer
The American Language by the Bard of Baltimore, Henry Louis Mencken. 1937 edition. It's a slog by any stretch , especially for somebody whose weakest subject in school was English, tied with any form of math. His chapter on slang is fascinating. Highly recommend that chapter to any student of the Golden Age (1919-1945 or so).

martinsantos

Practically Family
Last year I got some articles by Mencken - just loved his writing and polemics. Looking around for a translation of more (and this American Language too!), but still didn't find. I think I will have to try to read in English, anyway...

The American Language by the Bard of Baltimore, Henry Louis Mencken. 1937 edition. It's a slog by any stretch , especially for somebody whose weakest subject in school was English, tied with any form of math. His chapter on slang is fascinating. Highly recommend that chapter to any student of the Golden Age (1919-1945 or so).

Isis

One of the Regulars
[/IA Dark Adapted Eye] by Barbara Vine. A woman remembering her visits to her aunts in the 1940's. More exiting as it sounds as one of the aunts have been executed for murder. That is known from the outsets and then the book unravels the turns that led to it. It's actually a re-read,I like Barabar Vine's book a lot and re-read them quite regulary.

This particular book also have some interesting tidbits about British fashions during the war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun