Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Thanks! Eagerly awaiting any further info!
Me too actually. We have had a couple more like your show up with the same bound edge and ribbon treatment, one recently that that generated a lot of discussion.
It could still be a Longhorn with a ribbon change by Stetson or aftermarket (just like we do now) but with at least three on the lounge (and my memory of seeing this in my advertising stuff) I do believe it is a different model.
REALLY AWESOME HAT!!!!! GREAT addition to your collection of westerns!

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Me too actually. We have had a couple more like your show up with the same bound edge and ribbon treatment, one recently that that generated a lot of discussion.
It could still be a Longhorn with a ribbon change by Stetson or aftermarket (just like we do now) but with at least three on the lounge (and my memory of seeing this in my advertising stuff) I do believe it is a different model.
REALLY AWESOME HAT!!!!! GREAT addition to your collection of westerns!
I understand and admit to the uncertainity, but I've gotta call it something, in my head and on-line, so for now, I guess I'll stick with Longhorn! :) Thank you for your efforts, and looking forward to any future news!

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Perusing FB Marketplace yesterday, I spotted pics of a garage-o-stuff for an upcoming estate sale. I spotted some Stetson hatboxes, and naturally reached out. Long story short, I went over to look at the contents and walked away with a pure white (Bone?), late 70s or early 80s, 15X Rancher, as pristine as the day it left the factory. My go-to Stetson guy, @Randall Renshaw, tells me a 15X designation in that era meant the felt was either entirely beaver, or very nearly so. Between the Longhorn, and this one, I really need to go purchase some lottery tickets this week. :D
Stetson 15X 1.jpg
Stetson 15X 2.jpg
Stetson 15X 3.jpg

Perusing FB Marketplace yesterday, I spotted pics of a garage-o-stuff for an upcoming estate sale. I spotted some Stetson hatboxes, and naturally reached out. Long story short, I went over to look at the contents and walked away with a pure white (Bone?), late 70s or early 80s, 15X Rancher, as pristine as the day it left the factory. My go-to Stetson guy, @Randall Renshaw, tells me a 15X designation in that era meant the felt was either entirely beaver, or very nearly so. Between the Longhorn, and this one, I really need to go purchase some lottery tickets this week. :D
View attachment 627952 View attachment 627953 View attachment 627954
That is a good looking hat, Mark. Great find!

VoodooSan

One Too Many
My newest acquisition: a Resistol 3X Spuridge, a model I’ve never before encountered. I'm guesstimating this as being early-to-mid 80s vintage, always subject to revision of course. It has a 4” brim, and a crown that’s 6” at the front crush, and 5.75” at the sides, with a deliciously severe front pinch. It’s a very handsome shape, to my eyes, and my third navy-colored Resistol from that approximate time period.
Resistol Spuridge 1.jpg
Resistol Spuridge 2.jpg

My newest acquisition: a Resistol 3X Spuridge, a model I’ve never before encountered. I'm guesstimating this as being early-to-mid 80s vintage, always subject to revision of course. It has a 4” brim, and a crown that’s 6” at the front crush, and 5.75” at the sides, with a deliciously severe front pinch. It’s a very handsome shape, to my eyes, and my third navy-colored Resistol from that approximate time period.
View attachment 629089 View attachment 629090
Great color and neat shape

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Last Saturday, late afternoon-ish, I got a text from @Randall Renshaw, alerting me to a hat for sale on the Bay. As soon as I opened the link, I realized what it was, and was actually worrying someone else’s fingers would be typing faster than mine, as I went to buy it!

What I purchased was an embroidered lining Stetson that Randall estimates was manufactured between 1953 and 1957. It's in incredible condition, especially for a hat that is somewhere in the vicinity of 70 years old, and is, by far, the oldest western hat I have ever owned.

I’ve spent hours pouring over my digital files of Stetson catalogs for that time period, and have pretty much decided, based on its 3.5” bound-edge brim, the 6” crown, the shape, and the 3X beaver markings, (and barring further input from others more knowledgeable) that this is a Stetson Longhorn, custom-ordered by its original owner with a ribbon band, instead of the standard 6-cord band.

I am absolutely giddy. :D

View attachment 627868 View attachment 627869 View attachment 627870 View attachment 627871 View attachment 627872 View attachment 627873
Congrats, Mark!

You've been on a roll this week, but this one is something special.

Kudos to Randall @Randall Renshaw for the assist.

VoodooSan

One Too Many
An hour's modest rain this morning cooled things down here A BIT, and also washed the smoke from the skies, at least for a while. First blue sky I've seen in nearly two weeks, so I hustled myself out to Deer Flats NWR for a quick constitutional, under the newest member of my stable: first Thoroughbred I’ve ever owned, and first cutter crown as well!
Thoroughbred Cutter 3.jpg
Thoroughbred Cutter 4.jpg
Thoroughbred Cutter 5.jpg
Thoroughbred Cutter 6.jpg
Thoroughbred Cutter 7.jpg
Thoroughbred Cutter 8.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
An hour's modest rain this morning cooled things down here A BIT, and also washed the smoke from the skies, at least for a while. First blue sky I've seen in nearly two weeks, so I hustled myself out to Deer Flats NWR for a quick constitutional, under the newest member of my stable: first Thoroughbred I’ve ever owned, and first cutter crown as well!
View attachment 630159 View attachment 630160 View attachment 630161 View attachment 630162 View attachment 630163 View attachment 630164
Love that bash, Mark!

View attachment 630159 View attachment 630160 View attachment 630161 View attachment 630162 View attachment 630163 View attachment 630164
Cool crease, Mark!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Revandmo