Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

April 1950 (from my collection). Original AP Published photo........
1720721257207.png

COWBOY MAKES "BEST-DRESSED LIST...... Gene Autry this week became the first cowboy star to break into one of the annual "Beau Brummel" lists when he placed among the year's 10 best-dressed males in a poll conducted among 500 of New York's fashion-conscious Barbizon models. Autry, who will be seen soon in Columbia Pictures' forthcoming "Cow Town," has three separate wardrobes comprising more than 100 suits, nearly 35 pairs of boots, including a pair with sterling silver toes, and some 50 Stetson hats. Glenn Ford headed the poll. Others named were NBC's Niles Trammell, Hon. DeLessers S. Morrison, mayor of New Orleans, Clifton Webb, Ronald Reagan, Enzio Pinza, music czar James Petrillo, scientist Robert Oppenheimer, and radio columnist Richard Kollmar.

I guess the takeaway here is: He was one of us!!!!;)

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
April 1950 (from my collection). Original AP Published photo........
View attachment 626265

COWBOY MAKES "BEST-DRESSED LIST...... Gene Autry this week became the first cowboy star to break into one of the annual "Beau Brummel" lists when he placed among the year's 10 best-dressed males in a poll conducted among 500 of New York's fashion-conscious Barbizon models. Autry, who will be seen soon in Columbia Pictures' forthcoming "Cow Town," has three separate wardrobes comprising more than 100 suits, nearly 35 pairs of boots, including a pair with sterling silver toes, and some 50 Stetson hats. Glenn Ford headed the poll. Others named were NBC's Niles Trammell, Hon. DeLessers S. Morrison, mayor of New Orleans, Clifton Webb, Ronald Reagan, Enzio Pinza, music czar James Petrillo, scientist Robert Oppenheimer, and radio columnist Richard Kollmar.

I guess the takeaway here is: He was one of us!!!!;)

Robert Oppenheimer
Oppenheimer.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Last week, my wife asked if I had anything on my wish list, for my upcoming birthday. Not knowing what her budget for this occasion might be, I gave her a list of three hats, with widely varying prices, that I’d been eyeing on eBay. She suggested she buy me the one at the top of my list, and amazingly, I didn’t disagree. :D

The hat arrived today, and I am delighted with it. The size/model tag has been defaced, so I’m left without specific clues. It’s a Resistol 3X beaver, that I’d estimate to date to the early to mid 90s. It’s got a 4” brim, and a wickedly-pinched teardrop crown that’s 5” at the front crush, 5.5” on the sides, and it's sporting a very nice 6-cord band. It’s known, for the time being, as Birthday Blackie.

Resistol Bday Blackie 1.jpg
Resistol Bday Blackie 2.jpg

Last edited:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Last week, my wife asked if I had anything on my wish list, for my upcoming birthday. Not knowing what her budget for this occasion might be, I gave her a list of three hats, with widely varying prices, that I’d been eyeing on eBay. She suggested she buy me the one at the top of my list, and amazingly, I didn’t disagree. :D

The hat arrived today, and I am delighted with it. The size/model tag has been defaced, so I’m left without specific clues. It’s a Resistol 3X beaver, that I’d estimate to date to the early to mid 90s. It’s got a 3.75” brim, and a wickedly-pinched teardrop crown that’s 5” at the front crush, 5.5” on the sides, and it's sporting a very nice 6-cord band. It’s known, for the time being, as Birthday Blackie.

View attachment 627286 View attachment 627287
Looking great Mark! You and your wife have great taste in hats! Happy birthday!

The hat arrived today, and I am delighted with it. The size/model tag has been defaced, so I’m left without specific clues. It’s a Resistol 3X beaver, that I’d estimate to date to the early to mid 90s. It’s got a 4” brim, and a wickedly-pinched teardrop crown that’s 5” at the front crush, 5.5” on the sides, and it's sporting a very nice 6-cord band. It’s known, for the time being, as Birthday Blackie.

View attachment 627286 View attachment 627287
A mighty fine birthday present.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
La Salle beaver Western style hat. Has 3 inch brim and 6 inch open crown. It seems to be a Pure Beaver hat, although it doesn't say that exactly but seems to say it indirectly. I'm guessing it dates to the mid 50's to early 60's. La Salle was the same company that made Champ hats.

Attachments

• IMG_20240716_153309_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153309_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240716_153327_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153327_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240716_154135_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_154135_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240716_153356_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153356_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240716_153412_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153412_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240716_153435_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153435_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240716_153447_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153447_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240716_153526.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240716_153616_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153616_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240716_153807_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240716_153807_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

VoodooSan

One Too Many
La Salle beaver Western style hat. Has 3 inch brim and 6 inch open crown. It seems to be a Pure Beaver hat, although it doesn't say that exactly but seems to say it indirectly. I'm guessing it dates to the mid 50's to early 60's. La Salle was the same company that made Champ hats.
That is a STUNNER, Mike!

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Last Saturday, late afternoon-ish, I got a text from @Randall Renshaw, alerting me to a hat for sale on the Bay. As soon as I opened the link, I realized what it was, and was actually worrying someone else’s fingers would be typing faster than mine, as I went to buy it!

What I purchased was an embroidered lining Stetson that Randall estimates was manufactured between 1953 and 1957. It's in incredible condition, especially for a hat that is somewhere in the vicinity of 70 years old, and is, by far, the oldest western hat I have ever owned.

I’ve spent hours pouring over my digital files of Stetson catalogs for that time period, and have pretty much decided, based on its 3.5” bound-edge brim, the 6” crown, the shape, and the 3X beaver markings, (and barring further input from others more knowledgeable) that this is a Stetson Longhorn, custom-ordered by its original owner with a ribbon band, instead of the standard 6-cord band.

I am absolutely giddy. :D

Stetson Longhorn a.jpg
Stetson Longhorn b.jpg
Stetson Longhorn c.jpg
Stetson Longhorn d.jpg
Stetson Longhorn e.jpg
Stetson Longhorn f.jpg

Last Saturday, late afternoon-ish, I got a text from @Randall Renshaw, alerting me to a hat for sale on the Bay. As soon as I opened the link, I realized what it was, and was actually worrying someone else’s fingers would be typing faster than mine, as I went to buy it!

What I purchased was an embroidered lining Stetson that Randall estimates was manufactured between 1953 and 1957. It's in incredible condition, especially for a hat that is somewhere in the vicinity of 70 years old, and is, by far, the oldest western hat I have ever owned.

I’ve spent hours pouring over my digital files of Stetson catalogs for that time period, and have pretty much decided, based on its 3.5” bound-edge brim, the 6” crown, the shape, and the 3X beaver markings, (and barring further input from others more knowledgeable) that this is a Stetson Longhorn, custom-ordered by its original owner with a ribbon band, instead of the standard 6-cord band.

View attachment 627868 View attachment 627869 View attachment 627870 View attachment 627871 View attachment 627872 View attachment 627873
I don't think it is a Longhorn. Give me some time, but I think I have a catalog that has your hat with the same ribbon and dimensions......
In any event GREAT GET!!!!;)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A great save, Mark. An "old timey western", indeed!

View attachment 627868 View attachment 627869 View attachment 627870 View attachment 627871 View attachment 627872 View attachment 627873

Great addition, Mark!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b-woolman