Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I know from looking around in the Lounge that hats from River Junction Trading Co. have had a hit-and-miss reputation over the years. Mustang Mike hazarded an opinion years back that when they were selling GOOD hats, they likely came from D Bar J, and the one I bought from them in 2015 could certainly have been David’s work. So, when I came across an on-line sale of one of their 10X fur felts in my size, selling for a RIDICULOUSLY low price, I nearly scorched my keyboard logging on and snagging it. It arrived today, and I’m VERY pleased. Fit, finish, styling and construction on this one are excellent. I’m pretty sure this is an older version of their On The Dodge model. 4” bound-edge brim, and a crown that’s 6” at the front crush, and 5” at the back, in silverbelly. Another AWESOME (and big!) Cowboy Action Shooting hat. Woo-hoo!!

View attachment 623244 View attachment 623245
thats some good voodoo there, Mark.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I know from looking around in the Lounge that hats from River Junction Trading Co. have had a hit-and-miss reputation over the years. Mustang Mike hazarded an opinion years back that when they were selling GOOD hats, they likely came from D Bar J, and the one I bought from them in 2015 could certainly have been David’s work. So, when I came across an on-line sale of one of their 10X fur felts in my size, selling for a RIDICULOUSLY low price, I nearly scorched my keyboard logging on and snagging it. It arrived today, and I’m VERY pleased. Fit, finish, styling and construction on this one are excellent. I’m pretty sure this is an older version of their On The Dodge model. 4” bound-edge brim, and a crown that’s 6” at the front crush, and 5” at the back, in silverbelly. Another AWESOME (and big!) Cowboy Action Shooting hat. Woo-hoo!!

Looks awesome, Mark!

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Time to show off another one I just took possession of.

Back before Randall @Randall Renshaw made the decision to close down his business, I had been eyeing a hat on a western-goods website for some time, and it had occurred to me that I could purchase a base hat off the Bay, and have Randall re-create the hat, rather than buying it from some retailer I didn’t know. So, I located a vintage Biltmore 6X Silver Buckle, and off it went to Georgia. When he made his business decision, Randall very graciously offered to still perform the work on my hat, even though he hadn’t started on it yet. (True Southern Gentleman behavior.) He reshaped it, added a new ribbon and edge binding, and sent me back what I had intended to make another hat to add to my Cowboy Shooting stable. However, once my wife saw the gorgeous hat he had created, she informed me, in no uncertain terms, that this was NOT going to be a shooting hat. She said it was far too nice to get dirtied, and dusty, and powder stained, and this would ONLY be a “wear it with nice clothes” hat. It’s seldom that my wife expresses that strong an opinion about any of my westerns, so I’ll be following her wishes with this one. Here are shots of what I sent to Randall, and the "Big John" model he turned it into.

Biltmore.jpg
Big John final 1.jpg
Big John final 2.jpg

Back before Randall @Randall Renshaw made the decision to close down his business, I had been eyeing a hat on a western-goods website for some time, and it had occurred to me that I could purchase a base hat off the Bay, and have Randall re-create the hat, rather than buying it from some retailer I didn’t know. So, I located a vintage Biltmore 6X Silver Buckle, and off it went to Georgia. When he made his business decision, Randall very graciously offered to still perform the work on my hat, even though he hadn’t started on it yet. (True Southern Gentleman behavior.) He reshaped it, added a new ribbon and edge binding, and sent me back what I had intended to make another hat to add to my Cowboy Shooting stable. However, once my wife saw the gorgeous hat he had created, she informed me, in no uncertain terms, that this was NOT going to be a shooting hat. She said it was far too nice to get dirtied, and dusty, and powder stained, and this would ONLY be a “wear it with nice clothes” hat. It’s seldom that my wife expresses that strong an opinion about any of my westerns, so I’ll be following her wishes with this one. Here are shots of what I sent to Randall, and the "Big John" model he turned it into.

View attachment 623267 View attachment 623268 View attachment 623269
Wow…. Randall really did a beautiful job. Congratulations.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Mark.

wsmontana

A-List Customer

Another beauty, Mark! Great work Randall!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

That's a beauty, Mark. I can see why you acted quickly to buy that one.

Great profile look.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Randall sure has a way with hats. Yet another beauty.

Your wife is right btw :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88