Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

VoodooSan

Practically Family
For over a week, I had been GREATLY admiring the re-shaping job that Bill @wsmontana did on his Resistol Lil Big Un. I located a duplicate of the hat on the Bay, and was trying to decide if I wanted it, knowing from the photos that it would need shaping, brim curling, brim binding, and a new ribbon. Then, while pondering, another option appeared. I believed that the seller had mislabeled it in the listing, calling it wool felt. I was peripherally familiar with BountyHunter Hats, which began in 1991 in Colorado. I knew that in 1996, apprentice hatmaker Nate Funmaker, (a full-blooded Winnebago Native American), purchased the business from his former employer, shortly afterwards re-christening it as Nathaniel’s Custom Hats. I could find no evidence that BountyHunter, under either owner, dealt in anything but fur felt, so I put in a RIDICULOUSLY low bid, and discovered upon arising last Sunday, that I had won. When the hat arrived today, my hunch was confirmed, not only by look and feel, but by a hand-written tape on the underside of the sweatband, which read:

100% BLK RABBIT

WESTERN SLOPE

SZ. 23” R.O.

4 ½” BRIM

6 ¼ CROWN

ON CARLSBAD BLOCK

NF 12/96

Woo-hoo! A VERY nice fur felt hat, that required only a small piece of foam sizing tape to snug it up on my head. With only minor re-creasing, I was able to duplicate the hat I wanted, utilizing a hand-made custom, for 30% of the cost of the needed-significant-work Resistol. This is now, essentially, a black version of my Stetson Tom Mix. SO pleased!

Bounty Hunter Tom Mix 1.jpg
Bounty Hunter Tom Mix 2.jpg

For over a week, I had been GREATLY admiring the re-shaping job that Bill @wsmontana did on his Resistol Lil Big Un. I located a duplicate of the hat on the Bay, and was trying to decide if I wanted it, knowing from the photos that it would need shaping, brim curling, brim binding, and a new ribbon. Then, while pondering, another option appeared. I believed that the seller had mislabeled it in the listing, calling it wool felt. I was peripherally familiar with BountyHunter Hats, which began in 1991 in Colorado. I knew that in 1996, apprentice hatmaker Nate Funmaker, (a full-blooded Winnebago Native American), purchased the business from his former employer, shortly afterwards re-christening it as Nathaniel’s Custom Hats. I could find no evidence that BountyHunter, under either owner, dealt in anything but fur felt, so I put in a RIDICULOUSLY low bid, and discovered upon arising last Sunday, that I had won. When the hat arrived today, my hunch was confirmed, not only by look and feel, but by a hand-written tape on the underside of the sweatband, which read:

100% BLK RABBIT

WESTERN SLOPE

SZ. 23” R.O.

4 ½” BRIM

6 ¼ CROWN

ON CARLSBAD BLOCK

NF 12/96

Woo-hoo! A VERY nice fur felt hat, that required only a small piece of foam sizing tape to snug it up on my head. With only minor re-creasing, I was able to duplicate the hat I wanted, utilizing a hand-made custom, for 30% of the cost of the needed-significant-work Resistol. This is now, essentially, a black version of my Stetson Tom Mix. SO pleased!

View attachment 624047 View attachment 624048
Love it Mark. Great deal all around and great job tweaking it as you have.

wsmontana

A-List Customer

100% BLK RABBIT

WESTERN SLOPE

SZ. 23” R.O.

4 ½” BRIM

6 ¼ CROWN

ON CARLSBAD BLOCK

NF 12/96

Congrats on the find Mark! Sounds like a killer deal and looks great!

100% BLK RABBIT

WESTERN SLOPE

SZ. 23” R.O.

4 ½” BRIM

6 ¼ CROWN

ON CARLSBAD BLOCK

NF 12/96

Awesome get! Love these great deal stories.....gives the rest of us hope!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg