Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My most recent Ebay acquisition, a 3x Clear Beaver from American Hat Company as sold by Ryon's Saddle and Ranch Supply. This hat has some nice felt for a western, though I'm not sure what is meant when AHCo says "clear beaver." It's got nicer felt than my other westerns, though, and that's for darn sure. The brim is 3.5'' (though my pictures make it look many times larger lol). The crown is a Gus/Teardrop hybrid, front of the crease is 4.5'' tall, back of crown is 5.5'' tall. Size 7 3/8, though I needed to pad the sweatband in a couple of areas (standard procedure for long ovals like me). This is a big hat, but I really like it. It looks especially good with my Outback Trading oilskin coats, so I'll be getting a lot of wear out of it as the colder weather comes in.

AHCo1.jpg

AHCo6.jpg

AHCo5.jpg

AHCo4.jpg

I might get around to getting a noggin shot, but I'll have to find somebody to take the picture for me. At arm's length, the camera makes the 3.5'' brim look like a 7'' brim lol. Anyway, this one's a keeper!

Also, an update on the Resistol hat. A fellow Lounger offered me some very nice hatbands in exchange for that vintage L.L. Bean hat. To that Lounger, I'd like to express my gratitude. I put the hatbands to good use.

Here's the original two-ply ribbon:

Resistol3-1.jpg

Here's the new hatband (simply placed over the ribbon lol):

Hatband1.jpg

Hatband2.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Try hold it over some steam. That will reactivate the shellac that washing will have weakened.

I don't think my washing weakened it because it was already needing it when it arrived to me. But will have a go and try it.

3X was popular up until the early 70s, then 4X took over.

And when did the 5x appeared?

Both those hats look great, but I especially like that brown 3x. Nice hats you have there Joao :).

Thank You :)

I might get around to getting a noggin shot, but I'll have to find somebody to take the picture for me. At arm's length, the camera makes the 3.5'' brim look like a 7'' brim lol. Anyway, this one's a keeper!

You always try with camera timer :)

Also, an update on the Resistol hat. A fellow Lounger offered me some very nice hatbands in exchange for that vintage L.L. Bean hat. To that Lounger, I'd like to express my gratitude. I put the hatbands to good use.

Good choice (not the exchange but the hatband for that Resistol)!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Here's the original two-ply ribbon:

Resistol3-1.jpg

Here's the new hatband (simply placed over the ribbon lol):

Hatband1.jpg

Hatband2.jpg

Both of them look good ! Don't forget, the tassels on the horsehair band go at the side of the hat as did the ribbon ends :)

Neophyte

Yeah, I tried that at first, but the tassells are just too long for the brim on this hat. If I can find a way to make them both face towards the back, then I'm in business.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I tried that at first, but the tassells are just too long for the brim on this hat. If I can find a way to make them both face towards the back, then I'm in business.
The tassels are always made long to allow them to be trimmed to fit the hat. here's a pic of the tassels I braided into my hat band. I cut them shorter after I put the band on.

11-8-10002.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
BTW, that is a VERY NICE looking band for that hat. I braided mine about 20 years ago when I used to braid horse gear. That's how I met David Morgan. He started out braiding whips ( he did the whips used in the raiders movies) and selling braiding supplies thru a firm called Austral Enterprises back in the early 60's. I used to buy kangaroo lace from him and that's what the band is made from with some tail hair from a mare I had at the time. It's easy you ought to give it a try :)

frussell

One Too Many
Alexander - You might not have any luck getting both ends to face to the back, horsehair is tricky to train once it leaves the horse. It should sit with the middle knot lined up just above or to the rear of the knot in the original ribbon, one tassel to the front, one to the back. Cut the tassels a little shorter if you need to. Since I wear at least a 7 3/4 extra long oval or a 7 7/8, the tassels never came close to the edge of my hat, as I used up a bit more of the band size! The Stetson had a good brush up and shaping, and has been getting worn a lot, since it's hot as the devil here, and it's pretty thin and unlined. Good score on that American Hat Company Western. Some of my very first hats, and a few of my best recent eBay catches are from that company, as I grew up in Houston. Gary at The Hat Store in Houston used to work there, and may be able to answer any questions you have about the beaver content. I've got a thirty or forty year old hat from American Hat Co. that was too small when given to me, and Gary sized it up. It's a fedora now. Enjoy the hat bands. Frank

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
I picked up an Akubra The Boss on ebay for about $30. I love this hat! Its in Tanbark Brown I think, and it came nearly new. Ive already begun wearing the hell out of this hat in our scortching 110 degree weather. Ive gtten several compliments on it.

1e33af0b.jpg

26f39086.jpg

c2c93b1d.jpg

d602f241.jpg

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Ok I got a new stetson santung straw hat this year. I wore it a lot at the beach and really liked it. However I wore it while working in the yard after Hurricane Irene and got huge sweat stains around the band area not only that but back bleeding form the sweatband and its black stitching. Now I wore a Resistol straw for years out dancing and on the farm and in the fields it was a great hat from back in the 80's. I have picked up a NOS of it on the bay and am wearing now as I type. It can't really be replaced so I don't want to work it hard like my old one. So here is the question. Who makes a good straw western "cowboy" hat that can take day of working in the yard and not look like its been through the ringer? How much would such a hat cost and Yada Yada Yada.

Jeff

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

My brown Stetson have both tassels to the back (pictures on 20(?) posts back). I like the way it looks and received some compliments about them (and the hat itself). But again western hats are not common on my country.

I might get a hat band with tassels for my Resistol diamond horseshoe and see how it gets.

msm007

One of the Regulars
I'm not an expert. But you could check with Jaxonbilt hats. They have a line of Fine Leaf Palm hats. Good prices and very good customer service.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Here's some of my favorite western hats...

1940's Stetson Nutria "movie hat"....
IMG_1483.jpg

Beaver Hats (or Beaver Brand, I though) cowboy hat, re-creased more to my taste...
IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

a lil' detail....making it South-South-Western, I reckon'...
IMG_1464.jpg

002-2.jpg

as it was, before I altered the crease...(like it much better like it is now).
I won this hat on the bay for $39.99, it's a Beaver Brand no one bothered to bid on, in perfect condition and very nice felt.
004-3.jpg

Paul

Last edited:

Neophyte

Both of those are fantastic! :eusa_clap That Nutria is quite a sight.
I definitely would've given you some competition had that Beaver Brand been in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld