Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
What to do with the "Megahat..." Last week I raised up the wings and dipped the front and back a little more. This is such a huge hat-- open crowned it looks like a 7 inch lightbulb or something that Papa Berenstain Bear might be caught wearing! After these recent posts, I'm considering dowturning the brim again, just to see.
00822.jpg

I love the bash the way it is in this picture. It looks like the kind of bash which ages well and looks best when the hat is well worn.

msm007

One of the Regulars
This is one the Major made for Julie.
Rocky did the 'aging' on it. It was from a photo that she had.
Mike and Rocky nailed it completely, right down to the tiniest spot to the turn of the brim.

bikes039.jpg

Very nice! Can you describe how they aged the hat?

T Rick

Practically Family
Wanted something sort of "Boss of the Plains-ish", and this one seemed to fit the bill. Buffalo felt, I presume it will be as tough as any fur felt I will get. It'll be treated that way anyway, though I don't know how much actual head time it will get (been meaning to take up Cowboy Action Shooting for many years, maybe it's time?).

It is the Austral from Stetson's Old West and Buffalo Collections. 3.5 inch brim, crown at 4.5 inch. Comes in any color you want, as long is that is "Bark". I got it from the Outlet in St. Joe, and I'd tell you the price, but I don't want to p*** off the retailers amongst us ;). Suffice it to say they made me an offer I could not refuse.

orig.jpg

This thing is really stiff, and I don't know how much I'll wear it, but I need to wear it enough to break it in anyway (it is rounder than my head, been wearing it now for a couple of hours, and it's getting more comfortable- might need to stretch it fore/aft, seek out a rain storm or simply soak it or sweat it up a bit, none of which should be a problem.

orig.jpg

Not sure if I'll leave the brim in it's super flat state forever, but for now I will. It may end up dipping slightly in the front, just from handling. I have the opinion that much of the styling of the original "cowboy" hats such as the BOTP actually began with handling marks.

orig.jpg

Has the branding iron Stetson pin which I've always liked, and didn't have yet. Thought I'd break out a few appropriate type of "props" to go with the hat for a few pics.

orig.jpg

Italian copy of the 1873 Colt SAA, and an old Doxa pocket watch (circa 1920's).
Note the bound brim on the hat.

orig.jpg

And the TTN replica of the 1878 Colt Coach Gun, a good quality mule eared double (short) barreled 12 ga.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Reached the image limit, part 2 coming in a moment!

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
There's been some discussion here of how rounded the crown of various Boss of the Plains styled hats were, so I though I'd add some decent views of the curvature of the crown (definitely not square or excessively flat).

orig.jpg

Front to back above, side to side below.

orig.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
That looks pretty good on you, T Rick. :eusa_clap
Thanks, better I'd expect if my hair were at least cleaned/brushed :D. But what cowboy worried about that? ;)

BTW, before anyone chimes in about it, yeah, the shotgun isn't properly shouldered- wasn't intended to be. Just a quick pose on the back deck with the self timer on the camera. Shoot and go, before the neighbors assail the local PD with the "man with a gun" call (you don't want to be on the investigatory end of one of those!). And no, my finger's not actually on the trigger. And the chambers were filled with snap caps.

The Peacemaker clone OTOH, those are genuine (light load cowboy rounds) .45 LC ammunition. Load one, skip one, load four. That gives you the obligatory empty chamber under the hammer when you lower it.

T Rick

Practically Family
Yeah, I had hair like yours for 6 years. 2 months ago I decided to go short.
BTW, are you aiming at the local kids stealing your apples? :)
Lol. Nope, following rule number one of gun safety. Aimed at a brick wall in the back of the house! (Yep, even with snap caps, I'm that picky about it). "Unloaded" guns have killed a lot of people in their day. Including some friends of mine.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Well, I'm definitely a cowgirl, but my hats are kinda basic. I only have one stetson and it was a gift from an X. I do have some nice sombreros that I got in Monterrey.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe