Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
lol. I wish I had seen that tutorial before I put a hole in my thumb trying to get a needle through the felt and new ribbon on my Stetson western last week! An awl would have been smart... Seamstress I am not. :)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Time to spam some more pictures.
This is my Resistol 20x Diamond Horseshoe Buckskin (after all it's a 20x, not a 15x). As I said before, this hat was used on a ranch by someone that worked there and the ranch owner sold it to me. Don't know if the person who used it got fired or if he got a new hat nor the reason the ranch owner was selling a hat other people use. Paid $96 for it with shipping. It have some spots I don't know how to remove but for now I don't want them removed. I think it adds some character to the hat.
buck01.jpg

buck02.jpg

buck03.jpg

buck04.jpg

Those are the marks. They were bigger but I was able to take some dirt off with a brush. The sweatband is cracked there but still holds. Buckskin Beaver Imperial can be read on sweatband.
buck05.jpg

Something was written there
buck06.jpg

Dirt on edge.
buck07.jpg

Looks good on me :)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This my my only straw (for now). It was new when I bought it. Paid $53 with shipping. It's a Resistol George Strait 8x shantung Panama. I bought it because I didn't know how straw hats were. Here in Portugal, straw hats are made completely different. I changed the brim a bit because I was not happy with the George Strait crease. I wear it only on summer.
george01.jpg

george02.jpg

george03.jpg

george04.jpg

george05.jpg

george06.jpg

Curmudgeon

New in Town
You look like an old time rancher, is that ice tea or something stronger? Nice photo.
Tea? I guess it could be called that if children are present. In my adult world it's called Irish Whiskey. And savoring it in the mountains without another human within 15 miles makes it taste especially delicious.

Quiet, solitude, a fire, and good whiskey. I'm not sure it gets any better than that.

JP

DRB

One Too Many
That sounds like just the ticket. I need to camp out for about a week. Very relaxing. Enjoy life.

Nice hat BTW.

Last edited:

Big Fella

Familiar Face
Tea? I guess it could be called that if children are present. In my adult world it's called Irish Whiskey. And savoring it in the mountains without another human within 15 miles makes it taste especially delicious.

Quiet, solitude, a fire, and good whiskey. I'm not sure it gets any better than that.

JP

A suggestion that would make it better(at least for me), a good dog sitting beside you.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would that be Bushmills or Jameson?

I like Bushmill's and Jameson. They're great. Between Scotch, Irish and Canadian, I'm all set on the strong drink front. A little-known single-malt Canadian whiskey (or so it was described in what I read years ago about it) is called "Bush Pilot." It doesn't seem to be available in liquor stores, but you can probably get the owners of some of them to special-order it for you. That is really smooth too.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to de-rail this conversation about Whiskey but here is some updated pictures of my new/old hat. As the story goes, a general store for a small town closed up shop but the owners still had a basement full of dead stock. So I managed to get these two hats at a good price.
daeb649c.jpg

Both have Hop-a-long labels in them.
c08c9ecc.jpg

The beige one has lower quality felt but has a leather sweat band and the dark brown one has higher quality felt and a fake leather sweat band. I started by dry bashing the beige one into a John Wayne style of hat
e0f760af.jpg

Unfortunately wherever the hats were stored they had cats so the smell was driving me crazy. This weekend I took the liner out, put the liner threw the wash, then in the freezer (helps kill smell) and completely scrubbed the hat in washing soap. Popped it out to open crown and gave the sweatband some leather treatment (A little late as I have already tore it a little bit)
5468f6f7.jpg

Here are the styles I have tried
7963a288.jpg

fbea463e.jpg

but I kept coming back to the John Wayne Cavalry style.
562e4280.jpg

dfb2aba5.jpg

Now what shall I do with the other one? Apart from get a leather sweat band put in it…. Oh the possibilities.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe