Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I was in Mr B's Family Restaurant in McPherson KS last Saturday for Breakfast. At least half of the hat wearers were wearing a cowboy hat. The other half had farm supply business hats, and I had my Stetson Temple. I was mildly shocked to see that everyone leaves their hat on nowdays. Of course there's no hat rack, or hat check girl now either.

I also saw two fedoras (not including mine) at the 4H BB-gun, Air Rifle, and Air Pistol match. Both were el Cheapo Walmart style, but it's a start.

Later Y'all

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I was mildly shocked to see that everyone leaves their hat on nowdays. Of course there's no hat rack, or hat check girl now either.

Doesn't the hat etiquette says if you can't leave/place your hat on a safe place, just leave it on your head?
Usually I don't wear a hat inside a house but last weekend on my friend's house there were some kids that I know they are not the quiet kind (lot's of noise, jumping here and there...), so I left my hat on my head. I even had to wash the dishies and I did it wearing my hat. They were a bit... "impressed" with my... "style" :) They even took a picture of me!

Just for the whiskey "topic": I don't like whiskey. There are some brands I can drink, usually they are very very soft. Better use some real iced tea just for the show ;)

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I'm sorry but I refuse to wear a hat when I eat. To me it is the height of bad manners. If these social mores are changing then they can change without me. If the restaurant doesn't have a hat rack, I put it on an empty chair or on the corner of the table.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I usually go for the empty chair method. When my kids are particularly hyper, which is often, I just try and keep the lids hidden or out of reach...

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help me with something: A few months ago I came across a hatter's website that displayed lots of creative inlays and accoutrements on their western hats, such as little guns, brands, studs, etc., and I just can't seem to find it again. Does anyone know the website I'm referring to, or a hatter that appears to have a talent for these things?

One of the Regulars
That brings up a question for me. When I see XXXX beaver on the headband of one of my Stetsons is that telling me it is 4% beaver or 40% beaver or something else?

As I understand it, Stetson 4 X is pure fur felt. Less x's mean wool felt in the mix

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well about the eating with your hat on your head:
-Restaurants: I use a empty chair and if any is available them I just turn it down, put it on my lap and cover it with a napkin to avoid accidents.
-Fast food/Shopping center: I leave my hat on my head. Too many people moving, too crowded, no empty chairs, no towels on table, no big napkins to cover my hat on my lap.
-Café/Tavern: If I sit or stay up on the counter than I don't take it off. If I sit on a table then it depends on how hot the weather is. In the case I take my hat off, always keep an eye what comes near you to avoid any possible accident (a hot coffee spill is not nice).
-My house: I leave my hat on my room as soon I reach it.
-Friends house: Depends on the house and if there are hyper-active kids that touch everything even if you say no 50x times (they will always try to sneak when you are not watching)
-Outside: Usually I wear it.

It all depends on how dangerous is things (or food) to hit (throw it to the ground) my hat when it's not on my head.

Now, how can I make a flat brim on a 4x beaver? Is there any tool necessary? Or can it be done only with steam?

As I understand it, Stetson 4 X is pure fur felt. Less x's mean wool felt in the mix

Stetson X's are a lost secret = nobody really knows or will admit it. Nobody has uncovered documented proof of what they represent.
I have had a vintage 3X Open Road that is without a doubt pure fur felt. It may have beaver blended in with the rabbit or hare but at what percentage, no telling.
Since Stetson had 5X & 7X Clear Beaver versions, I doubt the Stetson X is a percentage of beaver content.
The X is a quality denotation. Whether that is a quality of content or the finish, nobody knows for sure...

fmw

One Too Many
Got X's? Now you've seen 5000 of them.

5000x.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Got X's? Now you've seen 5000 of them.

Holy crap! What is that? Felt or straw? I bet it is straw.

I have to say it doesn't have 5000 X's printed. Not even 1000.
According to my calculations there are only 973 printed X's
20x18+18x14+20x18=360+252+360=972 plus the big one after 5000.
For 5000 X's, 112 more columns of 18 rows are needed each side.
OK I'm a crazy math guy.

Last edited:

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Holy crap! What is that? Felt or straw? I bet it is straw.

I have to say it doesn't have 5000 X's printed. Not even 1000.
According to my calculations there are only 973 printed X's
20x18+18x14+20x18=360+252+360=972 plus the big one after 5000.
For 5000 X's, 112 more columns of 18 rows are needed each side.
OK I'm a crazy math guy.

The hat itself could be made of the other 4027 Xs.

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

fmw

One Too Many
Yes, it is a straw hat. Thought it might provide a chuckle. Thanks for the math correction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe