Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Like the boots ! Who made 'em?

Got them from here:

Texas Jacks

I don't know if Texas Jack's had them made or if they just were a dealer. I also should note that the pair I bought is listed as discontinued and only available to what stock they have on hand. In fact, all their boots are listed as discontinued so obviously they are getting out of selling boots.

I've had them for about 10 years, though.

msm007

One of the Regulars
Very good suggestion! About making a kind of book of pictures of differernt hats that you like to aid selection

msm007

One of the Regulars
buy this book, hahaha, Actually i plan on it, its the history of the cowboy hat located on Rands Custom Hats. There's also videos on his site as well. But seriously you should consider buying this book. http://www.randhats.com/images/HatBookNew_med.jpg I think it would be an excellent reference that you can turn to in times of need as in right now. Its not expensive either, really good price.

I can second that. There are a lot of Rand hats in the book - maybe more than needed, but that aside it is an interesting book with both movie hats and working hats.

T Rick

Practically Family
When I had my really big mustache...

cowboy_blackhat.jpg

In my Charlie One Horse.

A bit OT, but I love that 73 Winchester. Used to have a beautiful Uberti clone (carbine), had to sell it long ago. I do have a Rossi '92 repro now, but it's just not the same (that rifle is the one that "won the West").

msm007

One of the Regulars
A bit OT, but I love that 73 Winchester. Used to have a beautiful Uberti clone (carbine), had to sell it long ago. I do have a Rossi '92 repro now, but it's just not the same (that rifle is the one that "won the West").

Eating soup could not have been an easy task. :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Uberti makes fine weapons. The one I'm holding there, though, is a Winchester short rifle in 44/40 made in 1911.

Oh, I was pretty sure it was an original. That's why I referred to it by it's "proper" name. And if/when I replace the replica '73 carbine I sold, and if I go replica again, it'll be the short rifle version (copy of what you are holding). Then again, with the prices they're getting nowadays, I might be as well off to save the extra for an original. Don't know if I would be able to bring myself to treat it the same though. Thinking of doing some Cowboy Action shooting, and replicas (or modern "real" pieces like Colt's SAA) seem more practical, so as not to scar up a nice vintage piece. I've got a couple of Uberti's SAA clones (not the greatest quality, but acceptable for the purpose) in .45 Colt. Also like the long gun in the same caliber, so it's either replace the six shooters with 44/40 or go with a replica rifle in .45 Colt.

Anyway, back to hats. Really liking that Stetson Austral in Buffalo for the Western hat. Got to be something better than the cheapo wool felt Western I bought years ago for the sport.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
T Rick, I am fond of the Cimmeron Arms repros. Excellent work for pistols at least.

But, I agree with using repros for SAS stuff. You don't want to use up an original for that.

msm007

One of the Regulars
Neither was eating ice cream!

I had that stache for several years, though. You'd THINK I'd have lost weight with that thing! No such luck.

Mine is long, but not as long. I saw something on the Antiques Roadshow, mustache cups. They were coffee cups with the form of a mustache placed on the top lid of the cup. When you drank it blocked the liquid from touching the mustache area. http://www.silvercollection.it/moustachecup3BIS.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Mine is long, but not as long. I saw something on the Antiques Roadshow, mustache cups. They were coffee cups with the form of a mustache placed on the top lid of the cup. When you drank it blocked the liquid from touching the mustache area. http://www.silvercollection.it/moustachecup3BIS.jpg
So that's what those are! I've seen them, had no idea what that was about.

As for Western hats, I did find out something some here might find useful today. Stetson has a model called the Dome. It is the closest they currently produce to the original "Boss of the Plains" hat. It is being discontinued very soon, the Customer Service Rep I was talking to today at Stetson told me you could probably still order one in January, but probably not after.

ETA: Had a link to The Fedora Store's page on the Dome linked, seems to have disappeared from their site in the last few minutes!

Second ETA, here is the Stetson page on it.

Last edited:

warbird

One Too Many
This is my Stetson Boss of the Plains that I bought about 18-20 years ago. It is my go to western hat. Unless I am at a Cowboy Action shooting event I am almost always the only person in the room with such a styled hat among at ton of cattlemen creased hats. It definitely draws attention. Not the hat to wear if you are trying to be inconspicuous. :) Some BOP hats are completely flat all the way around. This hat has a very slight downturn in the front.

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Beautiful. The current Boss of the Plains is a pre-creased, curled brim Western, doesn't look a thing like I'd expect (maybe enough steam can flatten the brim and open the crown to be similar to the old?). At any rate, I'll edit my post above. The link doesn't work When I posted it, I had a page opened at the Fedora Store with the Dome displayed. Oddly, it now seems to have vanished from their site! The St. Jo outlet doesn't have any, the Garland Outlet is checking stock as I write this. If they have my size in black I'll order it (only comes in black or silver belly). I am guessing I'll be SOL.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This is for Neo to help in his search for THE western hat :) Get a copy of the 1976 Robert Altman film "Buffalo Bill and the Indians" for a plethora of old western styles to look at. We won't discuss where Altman's head was at in making the movie, just look at the hats :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the information (and the entertainment; I could NOT stop laughing when I saw the moustache cup lol), everyone :). Unfortunately, my laptop has crashed again. I'm tired of this particular laptop crashing, so I'm gonna buy a newer, better one. That's gonna set my new hat plans back a bit [read: a lot], unless I can find something to sell on the 'Bay (and by God, I will try).

...oh, and I love that black beauty there, WarBird :eusa_clap. It's too bad Stetson decided to bastardize the design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe