Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WATER STAIN PROBLEM...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

Need help here. My vintage silver-belly hat got wet and after it dried I noticed a water stain, rather long, in the crown, near one of the dents. How do I get rid of it? Is there anything I can do to the felt to avoid this in the future?
all help appreciated!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I hope you can get a good advice on how to remove it, but my belief is that only water can counter what water has done (given that there is either a chemical reaction [whats in the fur] or a reaction of sorts that has caused the stain). So unless you are willing to spread the stain, sometimes its best left. There was though some good advice by Art in one of the threads (not specifically with the title water stains) [Edit - remember now - it was sweat stains, and the idea was to get the salt out] , but I forget if it was to do with water. I once got a water stain on the ribbon of a new Optimo, and their advice was to re-apply water evenly on a broader surface. I believe ribbons are less resilient to water stains...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I've do that to ribbons all the time and works. Soak them evenly and they dry fine, no stain. Maybe I should do the same to the crown of my hat...
I'd like to hear more opinions before I do, though.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have removed similar stains by sprinkling talc on the stained area, leaving it overnight, and then brushing it off the next day. That may be worth a try in this case. :)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Talc... interesting. Anybody familiar with scout (or Bickmore) felt cleaner?
would the one for dark colors work on a silver belly? I think I may have some...

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I have used Scout's for years, but always over the whole hat and not spot cleaning. I would try water first. Is this a vintage hat or modern?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here's a thread where buler too reports success by applying talc to rings or water marks left over after cleaning. In your case, I think that you may be dealing with similar marks left by water. Some people, it is true, shudder at the thought of putting power on a hat. Just to be clear, it's not something I would do every time I want to clean one. But I have found that it works quite well in certain situations.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44893

EK44

New in Town
I realize this is an older post, but I just used the talc method on my new special edition Goorin Bros "El Corazon." Some water got on it as I was steaming my brim yesterday, and I was so sad to see it left a mark. Thank you for this suggestion. It's a light gray hat, so I basically sprinkled the talc on and brushed it right off. Good as new. No need to wait overnight for me.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Hello: Quick question. I did not get caught in the rain and the hat is not wet but my vintage felt fedora has a couple of small water spots from droplets of water from the edge of a building. What should I do ..use talc..or a hair dryer or do nothing? HELP! Thanks!

Hello: Quick question. I did not get caught in the rain and the hat is not wet but my vintage felt fedora has a couple of small water spots from droplets of water from the edge of a building. What should I do ..use talc..or a hair dryer or do nothing? HELP! Thanks!
When did this occur? Has it dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth